Timing Chain

Turbo Negro

Lookin' for 10's
Any single timing chains with hardened teeth available? How about stock type tensioner replacements?

TA Performance has a HD link chain with billet gears, and you can use a tensioner.

Been looking at the TA. How does it compair to say a rollmaster double roller. Strenght?

There were a few considerations that TA and I discussed in putting this chain set together with both gears being billet.

The double roller chain has only 3 links at its weakest point, and 5 at the strongest. All the many broken roller chains we have examined, are because the 3 links failed.

The link chain has 5 links at the weakest point, and they are more robust in the pin hole area which is what gives up first.

All the double roller chains, except the Rollmaster have a cast cam gear instead of a billet one. After trying 2 different link sets, both had the same issue, the cast gear broke.

The roller chains are strong enough for most Buick V-6 applications, BUT the cast gears wear quickly, and the chain becomes loose. This is not good, especially without a tensioner.

Another serious consideration is that a stock tensioner can be used with a link chain, but not a roller chain. With the uneven firing pulses of a V-6 vs. a V-8, the use of a tensioner keeps the chain tight at all times. This helps minimize the shock of the chain going from slack to tight.

As far a strength, we do not have enough field test time to judge performance, but the data from the manufacturer tells us that this link chain is stronger than a roller chain.

Nick thanks for the information. I assume you use the TA timing set in your builds? I have been looking at the TA for a while.

Decided to go with a Comp Cams double roller sans tensioner for now. The price was right.
I went this route and if I could go back and get the billet setup from Nick... back then... I would go with the billet. My chain had 8* of play in it and it was "one of the best" you could get. This billet link chain is AWESOME!!!! Timing is dead set and NO variation. Car runs just like it's former glory and I am in the process of having to retune it for the dead steady and reliable timing it has now. Engine was only 5000 + or - miles old with the CC double roller.
THANKS Nick for saving my sanity!!!! :)

I went this route and if I could go back and get the billet setup from Nick... back then... I would go with the billet. My chain had 8* of play in it and it was "one of the best" you could get. This billet link chain is AWESOME!!!! Timing is dead set and NO variation. Car runs just like it's former glory and I am in the process of having to retune it for the dead steady and reliable timing it has now. Engine was only 5000 + or - miles old with the CC double roller.
THANKS Nick for saving my sanity!!!! :)

For years I have seen the Comp and other double roller chain sets give up [very loose] in 5K miles or less. That is why I pushed TA for a better and affordable product.

Sometimes new owners do not get it, getting the proper, or best parts the first time, will save grief and $$$ in the long run.

Thank you Eric, as your signature says it all - "Quality is not an act. It is a habit." ;)

I... I looked on TA's website to try to find the billet one you guys are talking about. I'm guessing it's this one???? http://www.taperformance.com/products.asp?cat=188 Part# 1523A????

Actually, TA has it listed as a "Performance Timing set" since this is not a roller chain, but a link chain. The number of this set for a stock-type cam is TA V1522B, for a billet cam it is a TA V1522A.

Using the search function with either part number on their web site will get you to it. :)

Actually, TA has it listed as a "Performance Timing set" since this is not a roller chain, but a link chain. The number of this set for a stock-type cam is TA V1522B, for a billet cam it is a TA V1522A.

Using the search function with either part number on their web site will get you to it. :)

Thanks, Nick, but that poses some more questions for me. TA's website says V1522B is for '60 - '87 even-fire vs. V1522A is for '60 - '87 odd-fire, but 231 isn't listed. I thought the move to even-fires was made around '78 or so. I guess I'm confused.

So, I have stock cam. So I would get a V1522B, right? Does that mean that later on if/when I go roller cam I'd need to change my timing set again?

Is the high performance billet double roller the best timing set available? Or is the billet with stock type tensioner the better one?

A billet cam is used in the odd-fire configuration usually in a race application with higher spring pressures, and it will fit a 231 block.

The even-fire cams used in the 80's Buick V-6 have an integral drive gear for a distributor or cam sensor, and the ductile roller cams use a stock type timing set, so the TA V1522 will work for you now and later. :)

Been looking at the TA. How does it compair to say a rollmaster double roller. Strenght?

We have not been able to arrange a test to find the ultimate strength with the roller chain and the new TA link chain.

But here is what we do know. A double roller chain has only 3 links at the minimum, and 5 at the outside. The special link chain in their new billet gear set has 5 inside links, and 8 at the max.

The link sizes are about equal, so common sense would be the link chain is stronger.

Of the many roller chains that I, and others, have broken, the links fail in the pin area.

The link chain used by TA is an exclusive, stronger design with better material than any V-6 chain available.

So with the ability to use a stock tensioner to help eliminate chain whip, the link set should be the better choice.

Have you looked at anything other than the stock tensioner rub block Nick? The FWD 3800 has a phenolic block instead of the hard rubber one the RWD engines use and should hold up better. It also comes with a slightly longer bolt that will need shortening and a new spring if you ever change it.;)

Not to knock the TA chain at all but didnt hear mention of Pro Gear. When I purchased my roller cam kit from Dan at DLS this is the timing set that came with the kit.

You may not have a problem with your Pro Gear Jason, but I have personally broke a double roller chain with one, and know of a few others with Pro Gear chains that have also broke their chain. :(

All the broken double roller chains that I know about except one, were on 9 sec. and faster cars.

Let's try this again after I screwed up my response above. :confused:

You may not have a problem with your Pro Gear Jason, but I have personally broke a PG double roller chain, and know of a few others with Pro Gear chains that have also broken them.

All the broken double roller chains that I know about except one, were on 9 sec. and faster cars.

I received a TA 1523A.005 ROLLMASTER TC about 2 hours ago and it will be installed in a 109 storoker that had a stretched roller in it ,,,,I sure hope all goes well as USPS took 12 days USA WEST COAST TO MONTREAL CANADA.