Time to go Stage II!

Just enough plenum to adapt this:
XR-1_RACE_BLOWER_14-71.jpg

Just kidding...

For those interested in putting in their 2 cents, I'm working on the plenum. The goal is to create a plenum volume that will be 250-300 percent of engine displacement. If you're interested, take this picture and sketch out a plenum shape, then repost it for us to check out.

View attachment 174105

You should post a side picture. I would entertain tappering the back down if possible, almost like a wedge shape.

Allan G.

What injectors do you plan to use?
The primaries will be the old Bosch 160s. The secondaries will be Moran 220s or equivalent. The third set will be the old mechanical nozzles (97.4 lbs/hr @ 30 psi). The mechanical nozzles will mount in the plenum and will be aimed straight down the entrance of the port. Similar to how they were mounted in the Stage I project.

The secondary injectors will mount horizontally across the valley area, so imagine the injectors and fuel rail(s) being in the way, at some point, of any plenum that would extend down towards the valley.
The distribution manifolds for the nitrous system will be below the secondary injector plumbing, on top of the valley cover plate. If I find it's needed, I may have to add a pocket in the valley cover that will extend down into the lifter valley to make more room for the nitrous plumbing, but the plan at this moment is to design nitrous manifolding that will be compact enough to not require any modifying of the present valley cover plate.

Beautiful fabrication Donnie. Keep the pics comin'. Gettin' cold up here in the Great White North...need some inspiration to get us through these few months.

Here are the dimensions to work with for the plenum.
The 1 1/2 inch dimension at an angle off of the top point of the runner is the clearance that will be needed for the fuel rails. If the plenum is to be widened, it will need to go off the runner at least 1.5" before it can widen out horizontally.
The inlet dimensions of the intake runners are 3 7/8" ht, 1 7/16" width. That equals a 2.61" diameter.

IMGP2787rs dim.JPG

IMGP2785rs dim.JPG

Here are the dimensions to work with for the plenum.
The 1 1/2 inch dimension at an angle off of the top point of the runner is the clearance that will be needed for the fuel rails. If the plenum is to be widened, it will need to go off the runner at least 1.5" before it can widen out horizontally.
The inlet dimensions of the intake runners are 3 7/8" ht, 1 7/16" width. That equals a 2.61" diameter.

View attachment 174210
View attachment 174211

Wow, now you can fab up a single rail to feed both sides inner injecters with one rail. Really nice and clean.

Allan G.

You just keep digging a bigger hole every time you post.. I mean come on the gig is up dude,the window is shut right:) You better quit with what ever dignity you have left and not let your ego make anymore bad decisions and posts. Really Don get a grip your about to get laughed out of here. Just say Tonys car is faster than my car will be when its done and it will all go away. Hell i will say right now that my car will never be as fast as Tweaked was or Billy Andersons or Gillina and Dutwiler old car or when Shane gets it going along with others.The TSO cars are right there with my tube chassis car and im good with that. Its not hard to be humble, you just have to admit your not as good or fast as some.Its much harder to eat crow after mouthing off and your learning it the hard way:eek:

This was a sage piece of advice. Fortunately for us who enjoy the entertainment value of Donnie, it wasn't followed.

This was a sage piece of advice. Fortunately for us who enjoy the entertainment value of Donnie, it wasn't followed.
To Gene's defense, he doesn't know the type of person I am. I'm sure everyone has been guilty of prejudging a person a time or two.

For the plenum, I'm thinking of using a diffuser chamber along side or on top of the main plenum chamber.

Brainstorming alert!

The throttle body will mount to the front of the plenum, but an internal passage will direct the airflow upwards into a diffuser chamber that will feed the main plenum body from the top through a long slot of undetermined shape.
The slot can be a simple open slot, or a bunch of holes punched in a plate shaped like a slot or teardrop.
The holes would each have to be carefully shaped for best flow.
The diffuser plate can be a separate component so that it can be easily removed to facilitate experimenting with various designs.
The diffuser chamber with throttle body mount will unbolt from the main plenum body with the diffuser plate between the two.
This design will allow me to place the throttle body anywhere I want to. Hmmm. I have a hole in the hood to fill.

This morning, I've enlisted the help of a CNC machinist whose shop is across the driveway of the industrial complex we're in, who will help with the difficult shaping of the port entry plates. These entry plates will also be very unique. They will incorporate modified elliptical flares on a rectangular port.
I had the CNC machinist come over to my shop to look over what I've done so far to give him a clearer picture of what I was planning with the entry plates, and after I went through some explaining of what I was planning with the port entry plates and the plenum, he looked at me and asked, "Where did you get these pieces from?" He was referring to the runners.
I told him that I made them. He said, "How?"
I told him that I have a manual knee mill in the other suite. He said, "You're using DROs with the machine?"
I said, "No. The milling machine has dial readouts, but only one works."
He asked, "You have a rotary table?"
I answered, "Yes, but I didn't use it on this project. Only a mill vise and a digital protractor."
He's looking at me very puzzled at this moment. He probably wanted to walk over to the other suite to see if I was lying about the knee mill.
He asked, "These two halves bolt together?"
I answered, "Yes."
He started to ask, "Did you machine these bolted...?"
I knew what he was going to ask and stopped him midstream, "No. Each half was machined by itself."
He then said, "The match is amazing. I'm thoroughly impressed. I've known manual machinists with 45 years experience that couldn't do work like this. You've gained my respect."
You can imagine, I was a little surprised by that comment. It's always nice when a hobby machinist can get a compliment like that from an accomplished machinist. It certainly made my day.

LOL I know what you mean Donnie. I love to see you fabricate parts because you're as thorough as you are.;) I've gotten simular comments when I drill out a broken bolt by hand. I've got a few pieces I keep which are basically sleeves now and are almost perfectly on center.:D

This morning, I've enlisted the help of a CNC machinist whose shop is across the driveway of the industrial complex we're in, who will help with the difficult shaping of the port entry plates. These entry plates will also be very unique. They will incorporate modified elliptical flares on a rectangular port.
I had the CNC machinist come over to my shop to look over what I've done so far to give him a clearer picture of what I was planning with the entry plates, and after I went through some explaining of what I was planning with the port entry plates and the plenum, he looked at me and asked, "Where did you get these pieces from?" He was referring to the runners.
I told him that I made them. He said, "How?"
I told him that I have a manual knee mill in the other suite. He said, "You're using DROs with the machine?"
I said, "No. The milling machine has dial readouts, but only one works."
He asked, "You have a rotary table?"
I answered, "Yes, but I didn't use it on this project. Only a mill vise and a digital protractor."
He's looking at me very puzzled at this moment. He probably wanted to walk over to the other suite to see if I was lying about the knee mill.
He asked, "These two halves bolt together?"
I answered, "Yes."
He started to ask, "Did you machine these bolted...?"
I knew what he was going to ask and stopped him midstream, "No. Each half was machined by itself."
He then said, "The match is amazing. I'm thoroughly impressed. I've known manual machinists with 45 years experience that couldn't do work like this. You've gained my respect."
You can imagine, I was a little surprised by that comment. It's always nice when a hobby machinist can get a compliment like that. It certainly made my day.

I've been thinking the same thing. Very nice work for a "hobby" machinist. So far it's right up there with some CNC stuff I've seen.

I wouldn't get carried away with plenum volume. Your design seems extremely complicated but I don't think anyone would expect anything less from you Donnie. Nice work!

I've been thinking the same thing. Very nice work for a "hobby" machinist. So far it's right up there with some CNC stuff I've seen.

I wouldn't get carried away with plenum volume. Your design seems extremely complicated but I don't think anyone would expect anything less from you Donnie. Nice work!
Thanks, Bent6. I was thinking the same thing about the plenum volume. It will be what it is. I've got the main plenum shape figured out, and the material has hit the bench.
The basic shape of the plenum will incorporate some features of the Mercedes-Benz/Ilmor 500I Indy racing engine that I find rather cool.

I mocked up the start of the plenum in cardboard. The pattern has been cut out of a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum and has been given to a sheet metal fabricator, that's in a shop next door, to bend up.

This will be the lower section of the plenum. The upper section will add some additional height to the intake configuration.

664652_10151190438163644_1731577560_o.jpg