THS rules discussion for 2013

I'd say no changes as well... as has been stated before, most have made changes to fit this class. I think in this economy "get in where you fit in" makes the most sense....

I've been spending what little money I scrape together on my ultrastreet car... so if there are changes allowed in THS, please don't outlaw anything we already have!....because

About time you showed up John!!! Can't wait for that rematch this year. ;-) What races are you planning?

The rules change ideas have come to a stop so it is time to start addressing things. I am going to cover stuff in several different posts so I do not have to sit in front of the computer non stop all night.

Starting with the question of Hot Air cars getting to use a heat only box instead of an AC/Heater box. From what I have seen most are fine with this and I think we can reword that in the rules easily enough.

The idea of weight breaks for working radios etc. was brought up and I understand the idea and in a perfect world it would be pretty cool but it would be a teching nightmare. So I think things need to stay as they are on that subject.

Also on the weight break subject, it was brought up to lower the iron headed cars by another 50 lbs. At this time it does not look like a clear cut thing to do as looking at the top 5 qualifiers at Bowling Green this year, 3 of them had iron heads.

Now onto the hottest three topics. These generated phone calls, emails and pms. In this post I am going to try to cover what has been said about each subject pro and can wise.

Starting with 4 inch exhaust.
Pros for letting it in THS: Can be purchased from two different vendors and there are already custom exhausts in the class, why limit an off the shelf piece. Many people mentioned if the downpipe has a 3.5 inch limit, the 4 inch exhaust has no performance advantage.
Con for letting it in THS: The class has a rule that reads 3.5 inch single or dual as a limit stick with it. It was even said I should have allowed it from the start if it ever was to be allowed. I have to defend myself on this one, back in 2008 when I started working on THS I wrote the rules on the exhaust around what I had seen available commercially. The 3.5 limit came from the Terry Houston single shot exhaust that was around years ago. I had no crystal ball to show me that 2 vendors would later be offering 4 inch exhaust systems.

Now onto the issue of a stretched inner fender wells.
Pros for letting it in THS: We already allow notched outer frame rails and some pound the fender wheel back with a hammer to match the clearance added from the outer frame rail notch, why penalize a person for taking a more elegant approach. Others have said if you use the same size tire and stock location suspension point how can it be an advantage.
Con for letting it in THS: The rules say no mini tubs. No matter what is decided I think we need to clear up the wording of this rule.

The last and what seems to be the rule that comes in question every year. Fiberglass hoods.
Pros for letting it in THS: Nice stock hoods are getting hard to come by. No real performance advantage. (I did look up the weight saving on Kirbans web site and he has it listed as 27lbs, just so everybody knows the true weight savings here). It has also been mentioned that since we allow conversion cars (aka non vin7 and 9 cars) this would make it easier for them to meet the rules. Last thing was that alot of the iron headed cars are way over the allowed min weight and this could help them get closer to that.
Con for letting them in: Since they are lighter it is a performance advantage and a person could move weight around on their car with the use of one.
It was brought up if fiberglass hoods are allowed in that they need to be stock appearing and I have to agree with this as a cowl hood changes the looks of the car a lot and the class is more about a stockish looking car that runs fast.

I think the racers that have raced THS in the past and plan to race it again in 2013 should decide on the above three rules. So post up your vote in this thread and lets get on with it. Lets leave it open til next week Friday, as that should cover everybody even if they only get on the board once a week.

Take care, Kip

I'm ok with yes to all three if there are cars that are already this way and want to join but can't, since undoing a minitub isn't as easy as a turbo change.

Allow 4 inch exhaust if its exits at the passenger stock location and goes over the axle tube.

Inner fender mods, sure it looks better than blunt trauma to a Buick, and these cars are already far from stock appearing under the hood.

Allow glass or carbon fiber hoods but must be painted to match the body- my reason is my paint guy sanded, filled and painted my steel hood 4 times and its still gets wavy as soon as you use it a few times. I want a CF hood at some point just so it can be smooth and still be stock appearing. For weight, it won't help me- I've already got to knock off 2 hookers and throw them in my trunk before each race to make weight, and that is a lot of work.

I vote for 1.heat box ,yes
2. radio issue,no
3. weight break for iron heads ,no
4.exhaust ,yes
5. hood ,yes
6. inner liner , yes
the only issue I am really adamant about is the mini-tub ( self serving because I did it as soon as I bought my car ,now I realize it was a mistake) As long as you adhere to tire rules it doesn't add anything."help a brother out" Jim Maguire

Ernie votes no on all. Hot air cars no a/c but must run a heater box.
I think the tail pipe needs to go over axle tube and exit in stock location. Not in the changes just our opinion.

Oh Boy,If this is a Democracy I'm in trouble ! Anyone have two rear wheel houses so I can replace the ones that were cut?
Actually Im new ,I broke at two races last year so I really don't feel like I have a vote .You guys have been doing this for years,whatever you come up with is OK with me. I'm just happy as s...t to be racing .Plus this May I start getting my Social Security money $2500 a month ,more money to piss away woops invest in my car ( already got clearance from the Mrs). Can't wait for Spring time !Jim Maguire

,SloGN, nothing except if I have to "reverse the tub" the easiest way I've been told is to buy new wheelhouses or inner liner and replace it. Hope I got the terminology correct .If I can run THS with mini tub and 275 tires then Im all set . Waiting for final decision . Jim Maguire