Thrust bearing too loose

mrjail

I've been hearing a phantom noise coming from my '87 Grand National. While changing the oil pan gasket I discovered the crankshaft has .016 play front to rear. According to Mahle, the MB3064P .020 thrust bearing I have was originally 1.098 width. It now mics. out at 1.085. The crankshaft thrust surface appears undamaged, but the bearings I need have been long discontinued. Mahle says the thrust is .040 wider than oem. The engine is still in the car, and has been balanced. Anybody know who makes the bearing set I need?
I believe I have a torque converter issue (ballooning or pump clearance issue) that I will address before the car runs again.

.040" wider with .016" of play won't fly. Just to make sure, when you measured your bearing width, it was in the block/on the cap right?

.016" really isn't that bad on an engine that's been ran for a while. Not as tight as it could be, but not a deal killer either. While you're under there take a look at your rod's side clearances. Those might surprise you too.

It sounds like you have the thrust cap off at the moment. If so and you have an oil groove that extends into the cap bearing, file a small oil channel to direct oil to the rear side of the thrust bearing. Basically all you have to do is break the sharp corner of the bearing edge. That will send pressurized oil to the thrust surface and might quiet down a rattle at idle (if excessive thrust is your noise that is)

.040" wider with .016" of play won't fly. Just to make sure, when you measured your bearing width, it was in the block/on the cap right?

.016" really isn't that bad on an engine that's been ran for a while. Not as tight as it could be, but not a deal killer either. While you're under there take a look at your rod's side clearances. Those might surprise you too.

It sounds like you have the thrust cap off at the moment. If so and you have an oil groove that extends into the cap bearing, file a small oil channel to direct oil to the rear side of the thrust bearing. Basically all you have to do is break the sharp corner of the bearing edge. That will send pressurized oil to the thrust surface and might quiet down a rattle at idle (if excessive thrust is your noise that is)
That is very good advice. I appreciate your input.