This has got to be the Holy Grail of all Hot Air TR owners

I have seen a few other GN's sold by these guys and actually questioned another one that was on there. Maybe he is basing his price like the oil companies do -----ON FUTURES!!!! -----Jeremy

Looks nice to me, hell I'd drive it.....Looks like it had a nice repaint to me. Too much shine and where's the orange peel?

the hood ornament IS a "Turbo 3.8 Litre" ornament:

hoodorn.jpg

To save space, here's links to larger pics of the article (sorry the pics still ain't all that clear):

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

As for the ebay car, it's obvious (to me anyway) the car has been repainted--check the sheet metal under the kick sills behind the doors, they're not as 'black' or 'wet' looking as the rest of the car. All these cars needed new paint right from the factory anyway...it also seems obvious the emblems were removed so it COULD be painted. I wouldn't doubt all new emblems were purchased as replacements. Regardless, whoever was in charge of replacing the emblems wasn't giving much of a $#it about their placement. With that in mind, I would almost bet the repaint happened probably 15 or more years ago, and emblem placement precision wasn't considered much of a factor...(just conjecture on my part)

Oh well...I doubt very much they'll see a single bid...

Buick From Hell said:
the hood ornament IS a "Turbo 3.8 Litre" ornament:

hoodorn.jpg

To save space, here's links to larger pics of the article (sorry the pics still ain't all that clear):

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

As for the ebay car, it's obvious (to me anyway) the car has been repainted--check the sheet metal under the kick sills behind the doors, they're not as 'black' or 'wet' looking as the rest of the car. All these cars needed new paint right from the factory anyway...it also seems obvious the emblems were removed so it COULD be painted. I wouldn't doubt all new emblems were purchased as replacements. Regardless, whoever was in charge of replacing the emblems wasn't giving much of a $#it about their placement. With that in mind, I would almost bet the repaint happened probably 15 or more years ago, and emblem placement precision wasn't considered much of a factor...(just conjecture on my part)

Oh well...I doubt very much they'll see a single bid...
I was questioning the hood ornament on the eBay car, not the one in the article.

I too believe the car was repainted. However, it doesn't explain the issues with the front fascia. The 1,900 mile GN I owned I originally purchased in 2002 with 424 miles and it had a supurb, albiet oranged peeled paintjob.

In my opinion, the car has simply been repainted and the header panel replaced with the incorrect one. As far as the emblems go, someone simply did'nt give a sh#t about their correct placement. Not a 20000 car in my opinion, but I would love to have it as it is a very clean TR. :wink:

I certainly wouldn't pay 20K for it but the matter of the fact is the one thing that makes the infamous GNX worth as much as they bring is the fact that it was the most limited production GN built at 547 and 2nd in line would be the 84 GN at only 2000 when they built over 20,000 in 87 alone so which one will actually be worth more later in years?????

My 84GN isn't marked G80 and it has posi from the factory. 1984's didn't list G80 in RPO codes. My 84GN also has the 'Grand National' emblem on the back of trunk

it was the most limited production GN built at 547 and 2nd in line would be the 84 GN at only 2000...................... :confused: :confused:

werent there only 215 82 gn's? that would make them the most limited production gns?

just a thought

buickbert

Bert, I stand corrected (I actually forgot) You are right about that and I think they were even considered 82 1/2's, lol.

:biggrin: dont i get some kind of door prize? :biggrin:

i think that everyone that reads this should send me a nickel :biggrin:

pm me for my address so i can rake in the dough :biggrin:

buickbert

I had seen this GN on E bay also. When the car was first listed, it showed the names and location of the previous owner on the CAR SHOW SIGN sitting at the front of the vehicle. I noticed later he had posted pics with the names covered. The names were located at the bottom of the sign. I figure either he did not want anyone checking with the prevous owners about its history. Either that or the previous owners did not want to be bothered. I am pretty sure location was a MICHIGAN location. :confused: Someone who actually had the original posting might call the previous owners to find out its true history.

phillyturbosix said:
Mark lend me the 20K I want it! That is one hot air I would drive.
Mine not good enough Jim :( :biggrin:

I drove my 84 GN out of the showroom. No hood ornament, no trunk badge, I have the same pics but never noticed the ornament. I have same hood emblems as everybody else and I also have the G80 rpo code for my posi. My paint is still in pretty good condition and reflective but not like that one. Even the hood and trunk are'nt bad despite of the paint cracking. If I had my car professionally detailed to get out the swirls most of you would swear my car was repainted. If it's been garaged and with only 4k it might be original.

Is that car an '84 GN?

There seems to be some debate here on whether that car is a genuine '84 GN...

"Do '84 GNs have a hood ornament? I thought those were on T's only. How about the rear, are they debadged on the trunk lid or was this baby painted? I do like the seats."

My '84 GN came with the hood ornament!

All of the 1984 GN's are noted as T-types in the trunk code... this is where so many folks are confused! They were not created as GN's intentionally! They were pulled off the build line (black cars) and then they received the GN interior and badging! When you imagine it from this point of view you can then understand the process those 2000 cars received.

I did not have the rear badging on my '84 GN either!

Great explanation. Until modern technology there were many anomalies amongst cars. As I explained earlier, these anomalies have many explanations. Back in the day the common auto worker wasn't the highest quality employee, just ask me since most of my family worked there.

Were 1984 Grand Nationals supposed to have trunk emblems and no hood ornament...I believe so. Did mistakes slip by?....no question about it.

My 1st GN (1987) which was 100% original had a "REGAL" dash plaque. I have no idea why but have theories. As we all know it wasn't supposed to.

Hey TT, The Liberals work hard at taking our way of life away from us!!! :mad: And thank you for the info on the 84's, good info to know!! Thanx bro......Al