This could be a good reason to go with a catch can

I see no mention of the RJC valve in this discussion??
No RJC valve but
This the order it pulls vacuum.
Right off of the dog house there is a 3/8 check valve (it works)
The hose then goes to the top side of the catch can.
Another hose goes from the opposite lower side of the catch can back to the OE PCV.
Both The valve covers have Un - obstructed breathers.

Did you try putting a restriction in the line? I poked around the internet and found some people had success with a 1/16" opening for the vacuum to pcv line.

Btw I haven't checked the catch can since the last time I drove the car witch was 5 passes at the track.
I'll check it this week and post up my findings

I was going to start a new thread on my pcv issues but it looks like the experts are already posting here so here goes....my mileage dropped from 21 to 15 or so on the hwy. When I got to Iowa on the Power Tour a couple weeks ago I noticed the driver side k&n breather had a lot of oil on it. So mental note.....find out what that is all about. So this evening I thought I would have a look at my pcv valve. It is the plastic one from AutoZone that Eric recommends. Oh, I also saw a lot of oil on the intake around the pcv. So I tried pulling the hose/pcv off as a single unit and I pulled the top half of the pcv off! Damn plastic crap! And the pcv was full of oil. So I put on a metal GM valve that was made for the car. Could this be the reason the driver side breather was full of oil and my mileage dropped so drastically? One last question....since you guys are catching excess oil from the pcv area, is it normal for the pcv valve to be filled with oil?

If you're going to run no pcv then you need to make sure both valve covers are vented as much as possible. The larger the openings the less velocity to carry oil out with the pressure. I run this setup with no pcv, and occasionally get a smell of oil at idle, but otherwise have no negative affects. Initially I was getting some oil splashing on the valve covers, but switched to 20w-50, and this corrected the problem. I plugged the pcv hole in the intake with a wonder plug which is usually used as a band aid for a stripped out oil drain plug hole
If you are running a PCV you will still have the same blow by under load so you need the same crankcase venting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i also used total seal gapless rings i had a bad problem with smoke out of the exhaust i was told to put a vac pump on the valve cover and plug the other side it eliminated 95% of the smoke. i get a decent puff when in full boost for a extended period of time. no smoke under normal driving conditions. there is oil around the bottom of the vacum block i can wipe my finger around it. ive been trying to research everything i could. next thing is plugging the pcv . anythoughts?

Bison suggested a restriction in the pcv line. I did some searching on other forums. See post 24

I have sheet metal valve covers and I have an open element breather on the driver side and a Ford breather with hose connection on the passenger side, the hose holds the PCV and leads to the stock line. I eliminated the stock location PCV and have had this set up for a good number of years now.

I use to run my breathers out and under the car to prevent fumes getting into the heater system stinking up the car.(and covering the inside of the windshield with breather oil.)

Never really had oil on the inside of my windshield, but it wouldn't have surprised me.

How do you like this oil catch can?

Attachments

• HPIM2858.JPG
    HPIM2858.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
  • HPIM2859.JPG
    HPIM2859.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
  • HPIM2860.JPG
    HPIM2860.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
Dave, most of the problem is the PCV valves available today allow way too much vacuum than the original part. More boost will get past the rings than your PCV valve, so that is not an issue. Quick check. Run the engine and pinch the PCV line, if the engine stumbles or stalls, your running off the crankcase at idle. This is a problem overlooked with available parts and catch cans wont be needed if you get a properly working PCV system. I am working on a fix. I have used a Honda valve and machined it to fit on one engine, it works well, but it is too expensive to repeat. Stop by, I will be making something new for the car I took you for a ride in yesterday.
Any update?