These racing videos, fast cars, and young guys....

victa1

These "street racing" videos on the internet....

When I was young I admit I did a lot of stupid stuff with my cars that could have killed not only me, but other innocent people.
But what really scares me is seeing these videos with very powerful cars on public streets. During my "stupid" phase, I drove a '73 Plymouth Satellite 4 door that did low 16s at best, then my '68 New Yorker doing high 14s. Heck (gee, heck Wally) all my tickets except for 2, and that's out of over 20, were in my '81 Regal with a blazing top speed of 95 on the flat. Seeing these kids with there 300,400,500 horsepower Camaros, Mustangs, Supras and such that are capable of doing 0-100mph in 10 seconds, well, I just think how dead and buried I and many other people would be if I had a car that powerful when I was young.

Any thoughts?

As long as they're mature enough to handle it, I don't see a problem with having a fast street car.

I drive mine daily for the time being. In the process of finding a nice daily driver. I'm 19.

My point was people racing through traffic hitting speed of 130+. I never meant to say that any young guys should not have powerful cars. Heck, (Gee Wally, he said heck again. Well. Beav, don't want to cheese off the moderators) like I stated if I was your age and had a fast car, it would have problably been dangerous. You seem more mature than that, that's problably why you like the turbo Regals! There should be more young guys like you out there.

BTW, I am 32. I am and "old fart"? Starting to feel it.

Kids don't have the maturity to make decisions like that. Let'em have the Honda Civics, Toyotas and the like. Heck, I grew up with a Chevy Vega. No chance of getting a speeding ticket with that.

I've had the GN since I was 17 and a senior in highschool. I'm 26 now and I'm still fixing the abuse I gave the car from back then. I was smart enough, however to only endanger myself and the willing occupants of the car when I did stupid stuff. Nothing bad on public roads with other cars around. The bad thing is the majority of my mods were done back then because everything I made at work could go into my car so it ran pretty well. I always knew when to back off unlike a lot of the import drivers today. And as far as handling it, there was a windy mountain road I used to go on and keep the car sideways for the whole 2 miles, never once straightening it up or letting off the gas all the way. After that, dragracing was easy.

I'll agree that for the most part, kids just drive way too fast/recklessly. I'm 18, and in high school, so i see plenty of dumb moves from my peers in there cars. I've been fortunate enough not to have an accident and drive pretty conservatively, but there has been times where i thought i was an idiot for doing something in my car. I can't tell you how many times i've been witness to friends doing donuts and burnouts, e brake slides, stuff like that in relatively crowded areas. I think that kids having fast cars can bring out driving scenerio's that wouldn't take place in a slow car, but, atleast in my experience, kids will do stupid stuff in ANY car, fast, slow, or otherwise. It usually isn't acceleration that makes kids crash, it's just going too fast, and it doesn't require a fast car to simply go too fast. I have 2 friends who crashed their 2.8 A4's one whose crashed a 3.8 cougar, one who totaled a geo metro look a like, and a 4 cyl bmw. None of these cars are fast by any means, and i know countless other people who have had close calls. I feel like a hippocrit saying that kids my age "shouldn't" have a license, but that's how I feel. I've seen too many stupid things happen, and can only think of the "what if they hit MY car" scenerio.

I turn 18 next month, and i've done plenty of stupid stuff. My 165 hp Nova is not fast by any means, but that never stopped me. I've street raced 4 or 5 times (once on a semi-crowded area). I've hit 110 in my car on the way to school (just to see how fast it would go). One time, i had to get my girlfriend home on time, so I drove 105 for about 15 miles on the interstate. Now that i think about it, i should have just driven slow because better late than being scraped off the pavement. Even if the minimum driver's age was moved to 18, i still may have done some of the stupid stuff i did because i wanted to test my vehicle to the max. It may sound stupid, but everybody makes poor decisions some times.

im nearly 18, never had any tickets, and only had one wreck but not envolveing other cars, damn deer;). i grew up around short tracks and drove my first car at franklen county speed way. when i was 8 my dad baught me my first car, a 67 skylark with 26k miles it now had just over 27k, i own two of them now and show them every chance i get. when i got my learners i was given a 85 cutlass with a locked up engine i ended up putting 6 diffrent engines in that car because of a ****ty machine shop and my learning curve. about a year after that i baught my 442, it was built up and i drag raced it ocasionally but i never got in to any trouble on the street and i always kept good care of it. then at the bop nationals at bristol last year i found gns :p i grabed the nearest 10 grand i could find and skiped school one day the next week to go buy it. sence then ive put a te44 on and some other goodies and ive out ran several newer vettes includeing a friends fathers zo6 but i never run the car hard on the streets. infact it havent seen 5 lb of boost in nearly 2 weeks althow i drive it every day. i guss it just depends on the person, some people like me grew up around modifides and bracket cars. others are just having there first taste of power and freedom when they get there drivers licens. been there, done that, i dont need to prove my self and tear the **** out of the cars that my parents have worked so hard for :D

Kids usually have the "it won't happen to me" attitude. With age comes maturity and the realization life is precious. With age and maturity one has more to lose (house, kids, job, wife).

Let's not just put this on "kids". I have had fast 600+HP cars since I was 17. I have street raced since then as well. Most of the stupid moves I have seen streetracing as well as on the street have been by the 30+ guys. Sure ,some kids drive like crap but so do some older people. Here in AZ we have all the snow birds show up every winter and try to kill everyone by making left turns from right lanes. I had a high school friend who was killed by a 65year old couple who drove there 36ft RV though a red light and through his truck. If there was video of all them on the net I know it would out due us "kids". I am 28 now, lost my DL twice from streetracing, but it was me and 7 or 8 other FAST cars in the middle of nowhere. If somthing goes wrong it's your A$$. Don't get me wrong I hate $hitty drivers no matter there age, but they do come in all ages.

Jeromy

There's no question poor drivers come in all ages. However, it's well documented new/younger drivers have the poorest driving and decision making skills. This is why younger driver's insurance rates are so high. This is largely due to immaturity and lack of experience.

Im 17 and I turn 18 in June and I have always been around Bracket cars my mom and my dad have bracket raced dodges and street raced them 10 years before i was born so i have it in my blood. I have street raced in my WE4 and my Dakota r/t and have gotten ticket for reckless driving and i have always payed them with my own money or did community service. I paid for my WE4 and all the mods and hopefully it will soon be in the high 6's in the 1/8th. It has ran a 7.30 @ 96 mph but i let out becuase i got boost creep. I drive it all the time and i have started drivin better since I have got little older. I didnt even drive it to school because i knew I woud get in trouble if i drove it or some dumbass would run into me and I would have to kill them. I have also never had a wreck that was my fault but I have been rearended on the way to school and i was in my r/t but it wasnt my fault. I also usually drive like a grandma in the buick until someone wants to race.

thx for raising our insurance rates :p mines not to bad sence im on the honor roll. before i got the gn i was paying a unbelevable buck a day, 365 bucks a year, and i was able to drive 11 of our cars legally with our insurance :eek: then when i baught the gn i started paying 1800 every 6 months:rolleyes:

I dont have high insurance rates. Only 2 of my tickets are on my record ans those are a speeding and running a red light. I always do communtiy service. I pay 75 every 3 months for insurance on the buick.

I am on the honor roll also or I was I graduated last nite. I have an Advanced Diploma and my insurance is lower becuase I passed Drivers Ed with A's.

Damn you must have failed a couple times. I pay $75 every 3 months for the WE4. And $720 every 3 months on the Dakota R/T.

i think its kind of funny because when you have a slow car you haul ass and act cool (hints how i "nailed the dear") but as soon as you get a car that can rape every thing else in the school parking lot all you have to do is drive by slowley and let the whisle do the talking.