Theft Protection

Racecar_Dave

How easy is it to steal a GN? im assuming its not that difficult seeing as it is a gm car from the 80's. does anybody have any creative ideas to help deter theft? Im about to install a fuel pump upgrade and hot wire kit and i had an idea to install a kill switch so unless your in the know you wont get any fuel.

Relatively easy to immobilize a gn with a hidden kill switch or fuel switch. Problem is the wheel lift trucks can grab a car in seconds. If a thief wants it bad enough he will get it. I use a combination of. Alarm , hidden kill, column lock, alarm dogs that can wake the dead ,block it in and keep it out of sight. Living in a rural area helps too.

Relatively easy to immobilize a gn with a hidden kill switch or fuel switch. Problem is the wheel lift trucks can grab a car in seconds. If a thief wants it bad enough he will get it. I use a combination of. Alarm , hidden kill, column lock, alarm dogs that can wake the dead ,block it in and keep it out of sight. Living in a rural area helps too.

Same her.... I have couple of clever kill switches as well as Kirbans touch and start which is a slick device. But like it was stated, a flat bed or tow truck.... It is a done deal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where do u live? If LoJack is available to u I wud highly recommend it. It works off a radio signal vs. a satellite. if not I use to have Ravelco http://www.ravelco.com and it works great too. its a REAL kill switch that ur not gettn around.

Remember professional car thieves are usually good with electronics so some kill switches can be bypassed if they know what their lookn for. we have more car thefts in the city I work in then anywhere around and the only vehicles we recover quickly before being stripped are either the LoJack vehicles OR the ones using the GPS car or bike locators. their are hundreds of those to chose from but u usually pay a months or yearly fee. worth it tho IMO

the downside imo to LoJack over GPS is its only activated wen the police enter ur Vin# into NCIC to activate it which requires them to send a cop out so u can sign ur name indicating ur being truthful so there is no priority there cause its a property crime so it cud be hours before ur car is entered into NCIC.

THEN the signal is broadcasted. but with GPS its on ur phone and unless it went into a metal container or large enclosed building or parking garage you shud be able to find it and track it pretty quick. so imo both LoJack and GPS along with a high speed kill switch will make u sleep better at night.... and the wheel locks while in ur garage. their cheap!

I know not practical for wen u take it out of the garage but them wheel locks work. I see this Honda civic every day with one boot on the front and one in the rear and its adjacent to a big intersection in an area known for car thefts and its still there. been over a year now and this is parked right on the side of the street.

but there are those setups that require multiple steps to start and those seem to be pretty useful as well. and furthermore, MOST car thefts are done via ignition and drive off. its very RARE that a tow truck will hook up ur vehicle but it sure can happen no doubt but its higher unusual.

this all may sound like overkill but I guarantee you u wud not be saying that if u came outside one day and ur GN was GONE! that sinking feeling in ur gut and feeling of being violated by some scumbag POS who deserves a K9 bite jus took ur pride and joy away.

and without the locating devices ur shit is GONE trust me. gone like the wind so if u guys really love ur GN's as I'm sure u do then take further steps to protect it cause u aint gettn a second chance to do it over.

How easy is it to steal a GN? im assuming its not that difficult seeing as it is a gm car from the 80's. does anybody have any creative ideas to help deter theft? Im about to install a fuel pump upgrade and hot wire kit and i had an idea to install a kill switch so unless your in the know you wont get any fuel.

Last edited:
When I'm away, I back my car into a space with a light post behind it, or park it close to my the daily driver that my girlfriend uses. I park it close enough so no one will notice the vinyl coated 1/2" steel cable looped around the axle. Then I lock it with some big-ass piston style lock with a brass sleeve slid over the piston before I push it closed. This prevents cutting it with a bolt cutter. You can't squeeze the cutting jaws through the brass sleeve and then snap through the piston. The only way to cut the cable is with a big hammer and chisel, or a grinder, or a hack saw. That is, if you notice the car was chained in the dark before you attempt to pull it with a tow truck or drive away with it. The added time and noise required would make it not worth it or would get you caught. Further more, I always put the locked part way under the car where it would be difficult to operate a bolt cutter. This combined with the other disarming switches, would make it so that enough noise would be made, and time would be wasted that the possibility of the thief being discovered would be pretty good.

That gives me my chance to kill someone.

I have a pretty tricky setup that basically requires two keys. One disables connection to the fuel pump. So it will just crank and crank and crank. I like this better than a switch because a good thief will know where to look and it can be found. With this method he wont find the switch because its hanging on my keyring! Not going to go into details on here though. PM me if you wanna know more!

PS: While a thief is busy making noise trying to get my car to start I've got Mr. 45 and Mr. Scary looking pitbull waiting inside :D

PSS: the pitbull would be useless after barking a bit though. He's a sweetheart!

It's pretty damn easy, sadly. I had a super-clean '86 for two whole weeks before somebody lifted it right out of my driveway. Pulled the window out to hit the unlock button on the door, maybe ripped the steering column apart, found the "mystery" theft deterrent, reconnected the orange computer wire under the hood, and rolled out. Took him probably a minute or two.

The best theft deterrents are all of them, including location. Simple geography will deter a tow truck style theft. Box it in with other cars, lock it in a garage, put it in your backyard, whatever. The harder you make it to physically get away with it, the less likely it will be stolen. Someone that really wants it will get it eventually, but you can make it so difficult that thieves will skip it for easier prey.

where do u live? If LoJack is available to u I wud highly recommend it. It works off a radio signal vs. a satellite. if not I use to have Ravelco http://www.ravelco.com and it works great too. its a REAL kill switch that ur not gettn around.

Remember professional car thieves are usually good with electronics so some kill switches can be bypassed if they know what their lookn for. we have more car thefts in the city I work in then anywhere around and the only vehicles we recover quickly before being stripped are either the LoJack vehicles OR the ones using the GPS car or bike locators. their are hundreds of those to chose from but u usually pay a months or yearly fee. worth it tho IMO

the downside imo to LoJack over GPS is its only activated wen the police enter ur Vin# into NCIC to activate it which requires them to send a cop out so u can sign ur name indicating ur being truthful so there is no priority there cause its a property crime so it cud be hours before ur car is entered into NCIC.

THEN the signal is broadcasted. but with GPS its on ur phone and unless it went into a metal container or large enclosed building or parking garage you shud be able to find it and track it pretty quick. so imo both LoJack and GPS along with a high speed kill switch will make u sleep better at night.... and the wheel locks while in ur garage. their cheap!

I know not practical for wen u take it out of the garage but them wheel locks work. I see this Honda civic every day with one boot on the front and one in the rear and its adjacent to a big intersection in an area known for car thefts and its still there. been over a year now and this is parked right on the side of the street.

but there are those setups that require multiple steps to start and those seem to be pretty useful as well. and furthermore, MOST car thefts are done via ignition and drive off. its very RARE that a tow truck will hook up ur vehicle but it sure can happen no doubt but its higher unusual.

this all may sound like overkill but I guarantee you u wud not be saying that if u came outside one day and ur GN was GONE! that sinking feeling in ur gut and feeling of being violated by some scumbag POS who deserves a K9 bite jus took ur pride and joy away.

and without the locating devices ur shit is GONE trust me. gone like the wind so if u guys really love ur GN's as I'm sure u do then take further steps to protect it cause u aint gettn a second chance to do it over.

Guidepoint GPS. Check it out.

It's pretty damn easy, sadly. I had a super-clean '86 for two whole weeks before somebody lifted it right out of my driveway. Pulled the window out to hit the unlock button on the door, maybe ripped the steering column apart, found the "mystery" theft deterrent, reconnected the orange computer wire under the hood, and rolled out. Took him probably a minute or two.

The best theft deterrents are all of them, including location. Simple geography will deter a tow truck style theft. Box it in with other cars, lock it in a garage, put it in your backyard, whatever. The harder you make it to physically get away with it, the less likely it will be stolen. Someone that really wants it will get it eventually, but you can make it so difficult that thieves will skip it for easier prey.
Curious as to how they disabled the mystery theft deterrent? I was thinking of buying one. If you don't want to post that info here please PM me. Thanks.

Curious as to how they disabled the mystery theft deterrent? I was thinking of buying one. If you don't want to post that info here please PM me. Thanks.
I know that whoever stole it was familiar with not only G-bodies, but also turbo Buicks. I honestly think that he just knew what to look for. It was quiet and quick.

kirban 2 cents worth

lots of good advice especially the simple solution about turning the wheels fully locked to one side. Our touch and go or touch and start as its called is really a slick set up. their no switch to find....plus you only cut one wire in your car. that may not mean much but most alarms require you to cut more than one wire and if something goes wrong it can be a pain to remember how to correct it.

The collar lock around column is also a good second format as well. G body cars are quite simple to steal. I owned a towing business for 20 plus years and it was very easy to pick up cars where customers did not leave the keys with the cars.

Quick story years ago we had our 63 vette coupe stolen while we were at the movies. This is before the values skyrocketed on split window vettes.
Hard to describe that feeling when you emerge from an event and can't locate your car.

We found it about 6 months later sitting totally stripped gutted in the woods . I couldn't bare to look at it so I sold it to my wifes cousin. He started to restore it and needed to find 63 coupe doors which apparently are one year by itself. He found a set and they were even blue which was the color of our Vette.
I still had the car keys. I contacted a buddy of mine who was the chief of police to a nearby town...he arranged a meeting and said if the key fits the door lock no money would be needed....you guessed it the key worked the doors my cousin got the doors free....the seller of course denied everything said he got them on a trade etc and so on.

It be really nice if just once you heard that a car owner caught the thief in the act....I think then the thief would be calling the cops....as the adneline would be so high from the car owner....the thief would be begging to be released.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

One for the good guys story:
A few years ago i had my 2005 ford f250 stolen. It was at a car show. Luckily for me there was an off duty officer working the car show but my truck was a bit far from where he was at. After that sunken feeling of having it stolen, i walked over to him so that he can fill out a police report for me. I call a friend to take me and the family home. A few minutes later the officer called me and asked me if the truck had lojack. I told him it did not and that i had bought the truck new and never installed it. He calls me back a few minutes later to tell me that the truck had lojack and that the police was at the guys house with my truck!!! I get the address from the officer and go there with my family and a bunch of friends from the car show. Apparently lojack had been installed at the dealer and i was never told. Long story short, when the officer picked up the lojack signal, the officer drove past the truck one time spooking the thieves. Since lojack gives you a close proximity, he drove past it because it was parked at a duplex parking lot. The thieves ran off but the main thief lived at that duplex. The truck had been partially stripped, interior, front grill, dash, etc. i had locks on the wheels so they only had time to remove one and it was on another f250 sitting next to mine belonging to the thieves parents. When the detective got there, the parents played the i dont know where my son is game. The detective arrested both parents!!! The son turned himself in a few days later. He got a year and a half in prison. I got my truck back, the insurance paid to repair the truck. Lojack works but again, as was stated, its only as quick as how quickly you enter the vehicle as stolen. It triggers the lojack system by the vin number. One for the good guys!!

Ok, thanks.
No problem. I'd still go for it, it's fairly clever. Anything that you can add to make it a pain to steal will make it that much more lovely that you'll be keeping your car, especially when they're desirable like our cars. I had other stuff in the trunk that I was literally going to install the weekend that it got stolen. I wish I could have installed that junk sooner.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

In 1990 I had a 79 Z28 with a Merlin big block. I installed every theft deterrent I could but it still got stolen. I had just parked at Burger King and two guys walked over saying how much they liked the car and the next thing I knew one guy pulled out a 38 revolver and asked for my keys. I still remember watching it drive off and I was thinking Damn that car sounded good. So after the police arrived and took the report they told me I would probably never see it again. It even made the news and they showed a photo of the car but nobody called.
Three days later one of my brothers friends called me and said he found my car. It was parked in Sears parking lot behind the mall. So I go there and sure enough it was there. I called the police and they show up and tow it away to collect evidence because it was a car jacking. The next day I go to impound lot and the police had fingerprint powder everywhere. I think the thieves dumped the car because the accelerator cable had come off the carb linkage and they just idled into the mall parking lot. The car had sat there for three days in plain sight. The guy that spotted it said He saw it when he and his wife left the movie theater and the Camaro was sitting out in the open because the mall was closed at that hour. The police make patrols every night through there and they paid no attention.
Moral of the story, Have it insured because if they want it they will get it

Well don't leave us hanging! Did they arrest the morons? Glad you were OK. I saw where a guy in Chicago was just shot and killed for his late 80's olds 442. 1000 shootings in Chicago so far this year and it's just April!

Y'all need some ammo up there to fight back with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk