The Ultimate Turbo Anti-lag System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it so interesting that just a little while back, people were suggesting that I stop working so hard to try to spool this large turbo and just pay the money for a smaller turbo and then have Dusty match me up with a torque converter. In essence, everyone was saying, don't work so hard on this, just take the easy way out and go with a good ol' proven combination that is tried and true.
I think people were saying that cause it works. And works for many. Doesn't sound like the easy way out to me, just the more effective one.

I think people were saying that cause it works. And works for many. Doesn't sound like the easy way out to me, just the more effective one.
It was the most effective one known of at the time, and would have cost me what? Around 3,000 bucks or more? And even then, the torque converter most likely would have needed to be re-worked.

I do like how u think otta the box tho Don. It makes for interesting reading at times.

People that deal with the spoolup problem by searching for the perfect combination of compromises of so many components and variables will end up with the perfect compromise.

But then, there's really no such thing as a perfect compromise, is there?

Don
In my point of view I think you have a Masterpiece. At time I feel like adding NOS. I ran back in the 80's BBC with it and their is nothing like it no matter how you use it.
We need guys like you on this Board to make it exciting.

...........ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD......................................:)

I wont take away from what you do/did and that it may work.
with that said, class cars racing at the levels Dusty is talking about do not
and will not allow it period.
These racers are not going to stop heads up racing to have everything you have accomplished and go bracket racing.
IMO heads up racing is the only way to race.
Some people love to bracket/index race and thats great for them.

Also, with all you have in your combo and with a 1.2 60 ft running 5.60s at 126,at 26#s of boost, I would not run around asking why you hear crickets.
there are 400# heavier stock block cars with 3 bolt 71 mm turbos
that would give you a hell of heads up pro tree race.

Don't take my post wrong, i like reading your ideas and results and had thought about injecting under the turbo years ago,but was the idea was squashed when i asked if it would fly in the class

I have THE system that can make any combination workable, and Dusty is saying, it's the easy way out. No congratulations and such, just,... it's too easy. How ironic is that! :rolleyes:

Im probley going to regret this but your arogance needs a realignment......

It is the easy way out !!! You have a big turbo and a small motor that wont spool, geez lets think about this. The hard way is to rework the combonation and come back out with something that works and wins and goes FAST!! or we could go your route, and just throw 400 hp worth off NOS to it to get the 1600 hp turbo to spool so that you can make 900 hp. Maybe that excites you but here is a news flash the rest of the racing world has no desire to run a 1600 hp turbo and only make 900. You may impress some of the pop and bang crowd for a short time, but I can assure you when they see what you have for a turbo and the weight of your car even with all the multi color nitrous purging you do they will forget you even exist. Your wondering about the lack of CONGRATS let me spell it out for you,

YOU ARE NOT IMPRESSING US!!!!!!!

1.28 60 ft light weight car using nitrous = NI
5.60s in the 1/8 light car using nitrous and 91 turbo = NI

YOU HAVE A LIGHT CAR, WITH A 91 TURBO, AND YOU ARE USING NITROUS TO SPOOL IT, IT RUNS ABOUT THE SAME AS WHAT A 400 LB heavier CAR WITH A 71 TURBO STOCK BLOCK CAR THAT HAS TO compete on a PRO TREE RUNS. Based on this statement what is it that we should be congradulating you on ???

Wang is absolutely right here. I have been spraying every car I have raced since I put my high school LT1 car on the hose. These Buicks are no different, they love a little n20 to get moving. Thanks for the write up Don, all you guys who disagree probably do so because you got dusted by a sprayed car :wink::D

It is the easy way out !!! You have a big turbo and a small motor that wont spool, geez lets think about this. The hard way is to rework the combonation and come back out with something that works and wins and goes FAST!! or we could go your route, and just throw 400 hp worth off NOS to it to get the 1600 hp turbo to spool so that you can make 900 hp. Maybe that excites you but here is a news flash the rest of the racing world has no desire to run a 1600 hp turbo and only make 900. You may impress some of the pop and bang crowd for a short time, but I can assure you when they see what you have for a turbo and the weight of your car even with all the multi color nitrous purging you do they will forget you even exist. Your wondering about the lack of CONGRATS let me spell it out for you,

YOU HAVE A LIGHT CAR, WITH A 91 TURBO, AND YOU ARE USING NITROUS TO SPOOL IT, IT RUNS ABOUT THE SAME AS WHAT A 400 LB heavier CAR WITH A 71 TURBO STOCK BLOCK CAR THAT HAS TO compete on a PRO TREE RUNS. Based on this statement what is it that we should be congradulating you on ???

:eek::eek:

Your lack of foresight is absolutely amazing.

I'll bet you don't do the tuneup on your car, because you sure don't sound like a tuner that knows what he's talking about. You probably had to hire help, didn't you.

If you truly followed what I've been doing, you would know that I am still developing the 91mm combination. Right now, I'm where I was at with the T76, and I couldn't go any further because of the T76. I'll bet you didn't think I'd even get this far with the 91mm, did you? Yeah, you're that type of supportive fella.
Did I ever say I was done with the development of the 91mm combination?

Pay attention more carefully before you plant your foot in your mouth.

Believe me Tony, people like you are not the people I spend my time trying to impress. You are definitely not impressionable.

I try to enlighten people that may want to think outside the box themselves. You,... please stay in the box. It may be dangerous for you if you try to climb out.

I wont take away from what you do/did and that it may work.
with that said, class cars racing at the levels Dusty is talking about do not
and will not allow it period.
These racers are not going to stop heads up racing to have everything you have accomplished and go bracket racing.
IMO heads up racing is the only way to race.
Some people love to bracket/index race and thats great for them.

Also, with all you have in your combo and with a 1.2 60 ft running 5.60s at 126,at 26#s of boost, I would not run around asking why you hear crickets.
there are 400# heavier stock block cars with 3 bolt 71 mm turbos
that would give you a hell of heads up pro tree race.
I realize that class racing will be class racing. People will race the venues that appeal to them and others will build the car they've always wished about without letting someone tell them how they have to build it. To each their own. I've just shown people that there is an option to do it another way, IF THAT IS WHAT THEY WISH TO DO!

And like I just told Tony, when did you hear that I was done developing this 91mm combination? Unlike Tony, I'm a little surprised that you don't see the potential. I would have thought you had much more insight than Tony.

Don't take my post wrong, i like reading your ideas and results and had thought about injecting under the turbo years ago,but was the idea was squashed when i asked if it would fly in the class
Just exchanging opinions and ideas. Wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy the back and forth. No skin off my back. Cheers.

Wang is absolutely right here. I have been spraying every car I have raced since I put my high school LT1 car on the hose. These Buicks are no different, they love a little n20 to get moving. Thanks for the write up Don, all you guys who disagree probably do so because you got dusted by a sprayed car :wink::D
Amen.
I remember in my street racing days, when a nitrous car showed up for some action, most of the fellas would start crying, "Nitrous isn't fair". Wimper, wimper.
Quit your crying! My view of the world is, everything is fair in love, war, and racing. Or at least, should be.
Some guys think they're so special because they race heads up. But they race heads up with rules. Rules? What's with that. Get rid of the spec cars and race heads up! People want to see some real action.

Amen.
I remember in my street racing days, when a nitrous car showed up for some action, most of the fellas would start crying, "Nitrous isn't fair". Wimper, wimper.
Quit your crying! My view of the world is, everything is fair in love, war, and racing. Or at least, should be.
Some guys think they're so special because they race heads up. But they race heads up with rules. Rules? What's with that. Get rid of the spec cars and race heads up! People want to see some real action.

I guess I don't really get into that much because around here we don't do much class racing. You show up at the track and run em, and the fastest car/driver combo wins it. Anytime there is ANY type of competition there will be an advantage for one side.

When I show up at the track (or at the "unsanctioned track") for a race, I'm gonna use what I have. If I'm playin, I'm sprayin.

I guess I don't really get into that much because around here we don't do much class racing. You show up at the track and run em, and the fastest car/driver combo wins it. Anytime there is ANY type of competition there will be an advantage for one side.

When I show up at the track (or at the "unsanctioned track") for a race, I'm gonna use what I have. If I'm playin, I'm sprayin.
You know it!

Dusty. You just listed off a bunch load of compromises. If you don't throw cubes at it, you have to do this and that to get the turbo to spool. Compromises at every single turn. The person with the best set of compromises wins.

Wouldn't it be fun to be able to tune for maximum top end performance without having to worry about how it's going to affect the spoolup?
The spoolup tune would be a completely separate tune in itself with absolutely no need to compromise the top end tune.

I have to tell you, the parts suppliers are loving all this compromising stuff. It keeps the parts development departments busy and parts flying off the shelves. Instead of adjusting a few cheap jets to control the spoolup without affecting the top end tune, a simple change in a stall speed or camshaft spec, or any of the variables Dusty listed might call for a completely new set of compromises of all the variables involved. A snow ball affect, if you will. Wow. Better have a deep wallet for that type of racing. And how much did it cost me in trying different CRs, heads, cams, turbos, converters, gears, tires, cubic inch displacements, header styles? It cost me the time to develop an effective 2 stage nitrous system. A system that no one else in the world has ever seen.
Setup the engine for top end efficiency and dial in the nitrous system for spoolup and launch.

You're very right, Dusty. It is the easy way. Also, the less expensive way by far.

And, development of the nitrous/methanol ALS w/AB continues. :biggrin:

You call it compromising.......I call it optimising. Your building a combo to work on one end of the track and then using the nitrous to make it work on the other end of the track. Someone running heads-up without 2 power adders has to make it work on both ends.

Yes you have had a long road and I congratulate you on making it go down the track. This discussion just shows how people will see things differently. You call them solutions, I call them band-aids.

I think the difference lies in the fact I want to make a car e.t and mph without having to use 2 or 3 add on systems to make it launch. You want to make hp/ci.

I've done the grudge racing....street racing. The reason why I quit is so I didn't have to argue about another racer wanting the hit or spots so they have a shot at winning.

I realize that class racing will be class racing. People will race the venues that appeal to them and others will build the car they've always wished about without letting someone tell them how they have to build it. To each their own. I've just shown people that there is an option to do it another way, IF THAT IS WHAT THEY WISH TO DO!

And like I just told Tony, when did you hear that I was done developing this 91mm combination? Unlike Tony, I'm a little surprised that you don't see the potential. I would have thought you had much more insight than Tony.

I never thought you were done or tapped out of power by any means.
IMO at the boost level you are currently running i would think the car would be trapping a whole lot faster

Status
Not open for further replies.