The official tips you've learned from experience thread.

disco stu

Using play-do as a marking compound for for porting wastegate holes.
It produces a crisp, easily distinguishable line. Also, it hardens making it easier for transport to your favorite place to have the hole milled out. Which I favor over hand porting.

Helicoil the oil pump cover bolt holes as part of front cover prep.
With aftermarket covers, I've had holes strip out extremely easily. Doesn't happen everytime, but it is a pain in the ass when it does especially if the motor is in the car and the pump cover leaks. So, in an act of desparation, you decide to give it another little twist, only to discover that it does not get any tighter. If you helicoil the holes, you can get the bolts tight (no need to go crazy) ensuring a gppd seal. Also, using some hylomar on the gasket does not hurt.

Sometimes it's the little things.

Go.

Using heat guns for retorquing head gaskets.

If you hate removing headers after a few heat cycles to retorque the head gaskets, try this. Use a couple of heat guns to heat up the head by blowing them in each of the water jacket holes. Let it heat up for awhile until the whole head is nice and uniformly hot. An infrared temp gun is handy, but not necessary. Low setting is sufficient. Let it cool down over night. It usually takes a couple of times until it won't take any more torque.

Surely someone has some good tips/tricks to share.

Here's another that most might know.

Zip tie pan gaskets to the pan in 3 or 4 places to hold it in place. When you get some bolts threaded, remove the ties and finish installing the pan.

another method, same results

Zip tie pan gaskets to the pan in 3 or 4 places to hold it in place. When you get some bolts threaded, remove the ties and finish installing the pan.

I use thread from my sewing basket, tie 3-4 on each side and leave it! no need to remove it.
yes I have a sewing basket, if you ever saw my wife sew, you'd have one too !

when changing valve cover gaskets the pass side is a b!tch. It gets hung on the rockers. Have somebody turn the motor over slowly and when he rocker goes down you can get it out MUCH easier...just wiggle a little

Of course this is if you still have A/C...

New front cover?
When packing a oil pump cavity w/ vaseline I take a small soup can put in the vaseline and a little assembly lube. Apply heat until its a liquid and pour into the pump cavity.
You'll have to block the passeges so the hot vaseline dosent flow out!
This makes sure there is NO AIR and primes quicker.

The biggest tip I can think of is DO NOT Modify your car until you have a unlimited amount of money to fix it when it breaks.

Never tie any other vacuum into the fuel reg line and braid with screw in fittings when possible

The biggest tip I can think of is DO NOT Modify your car until you have a unlimited amount of money to fix it when it breaks.

I wish someone would've told me this when I was 19. :frown:

Buy the more cloth-like paper towels for garage use (they absorb more and rip less); and always wear gloves!

Keep a couple of cereal boxes laying around. In a pinch they make good gaskets but you have to be careful when cutting them out. If you have a tool kit in the car keep one it it. You never know when you'll need to make one.

Better angle on that is either use string or 3M trim adhesive to hold the gasket in place.

i guess i should add something useful.

helicoil the bolt holes for the upper plenum in the intake.

When selling Buick parts on a Buick board, ask TWICE what you really want for the stuff because everyone that inquires about it is a cheap bastard and offers pennies on the dollar. :D