The Official MS3/X Build Thread!

Daniel Jost

Squirtin six
Okay all, I have come to the time that I would like to write an official Build thread for the MS3/X. The build I am going to cover is going to be the full out all the options build (Or near to it). There is still development going on with the MS3 swaps and my car is going back into storage since school is starting in 2 weeks but we have two others on this board that have built and installed MS3/X on their cars with great success. I have ~7,000 miles on my car this summer with MS3/X and not a single issue to date, With a road trip in the mix. This is a really fun project and does take some time, but when you are done you will know more about your Buick than you had ever imagined you could! :D

This will allow to these options and I may be missing some;
-Fine tuning for up to 44PSI Boost
-Plug and Play
-SFI and individual cylinder fuel trim
-No MAF
-Wideband A/F Correction during normal driving
-On the fly; tune switching (2 tunes), and ECM flashing
-Electronic Boost Control, w/launch boost control and launch boost timing
-2 Step and 3 step
-LSx Individual Coil Ignition and individual cylinder timing trim
-Ability to control Fuelab digital fuel pump for output control (or dual fuel pumps)
-Automatic VE table correction, using WB02
-Ability to use GM flex fuel sensor
-Lean Cruise
-Calculated MPG gauge
-EGT input for data logging and high EGT protection like de-rating, lower boost/timing
-Alcohol Control
-Nitrous Control
-about 12 extra Output control for just about anything
-About 6 extra input controls for anything
-Ability to run 12 High-Z injectors, for example bringing 6 in under boost.
-The ability to use any engine's electrical parts
-E85 or Gasoline

To start off with, What to buy?

A decent soldering station, ebay works great
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stahl-Tools...079471?hash=item4ad846826f:g:WG0AAOSwaNBUf1PY)
Make sure you tin the tip correctly and use the damp sponge to keep the tip wet, there are good tutorials on youtube so I will no cover it here.

Radio Shack:
-8oz. .032" solder from radio shack (64-009)
-Desoldering Braid (64-2090E)

DIYAUTOTUNE.COM
1-MS330-K MegaSquirt-III Engine Management System w/PCB3 - UnAssembled Kit DIYAutoTune.com (This can also be bought with a 44PSI MAP sensor instead of the 21PSI)
2-MS-Wirebund MegaSquirt Wiring Bundle - 23" Long DIYAutoTune.com
3-MS3X-SM_Bund 23" MegaSquirt Wiring Bundle for MS3X DIYAutoTune.com
4-DIYBOB-D56K DIYAutoTune.com
5-MS3Xpander MegaSquirt-III MS3X Expansion Card DIYAutoTune.com
6-MapDaddy4 MapDaddy 4 Bar MAP Sensor with Barometric Correction DIYAutoTune.com (This is not needed if you are not going over 21PSI, or if you ordered it with a 44PSI sensor in the kit)
7-Jimstim-c JimStim v1.5 MegaSquirt Stimulator with Wheel Simulator - Assembled DIYAutoTune.com
8-StimPower MegaSquirt Stimulator / DIYPNP Power Supply DIYAutoTune.com

Digikey.com
4N25 Optoisolator- Digi-Key - 160-1300-5-ND (Manufacturer - 4N25)

If you already don't have a good wideband-O2 you will need one also, I use a Innovate LC-1.

Reference Threads: I covered a lot in this thread on the build as well. and MS3EFI.com is a big helper.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/going-megasquirt.333796/

Just follow the MS build manual located below, and the information I have attached for the cam and crank circuits. I'd attach my file for the exact hookup from the MS3/X to the adapter board but i don't feel comfortable doing so since I have modified the wiring a lot since i made them.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm

Attachments

• Bob Schematic.pdf
    312 KB · Views: 370
  • Cam and Crank Wave Drawing.pdf
    278.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IAC and CAM input.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 335
  • INJ wiring Schematic.pdf
    260.4 KB · Views: 305
  • Schematics for Inputs.pdf
    104.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Bottom of board.jpgTop of board.jpgCrank Input Schematic.jpg

I have attached the firmware files and base tune files for both DIS and CNP. Note that you must use the same firmware and tune files in each file. Also you will have to enter the correct injector size before starting.

,Dan

Attachments

• MS3.zip
    757.3 KB · Views: 425
Ummm, this thread is dated Aug 2011.

Dave I still am going to try and keep things updated on it as I find new things out. I haven't had a whole lot of time to be messing with my turbo buick the last couple of years, but I am back hard at it again this summer and I will probably update this page with how to install the bluetooth transmitter and that sort of stuff. I also plan on doing a writup on how to setup the MS3 for alcohol injection control.

Thanks, Dan

Good!! New interesting stuff.
Dave I still am going to try and keep things updated on it as I find new things out. I haven't had a whole lot of time to be messing with my turbo buick the last couple of years, but I am back hard at it again this summer and I will probably update this page with how to install the bluetooth transmitter and that sort of stuff. I also plan on doing a writup on how to setup the MS3 for alcohol injection control.

Thanks, Dan

Good! New interesting stuff.

Im trying to figure out why are you getting 12v from the led diode for the pin 1 on the 4n25 optoisolator? My led diodes dont give out 12v

My friend has a MS2 PNP in his 91 Mustang turbo. Just got back from tweaking the A/F table since 10:1 at idle is a lil rich. The autotune seems a little slow though. Actually took it down the road and 4 or 5 wot blasts through 3rd gear and is a beast when boost comes on. The off boost timing is way too low especially 1500 and lower. We are going to build a couple of extra timing tables to get the transition from vac to boost right so the flat spot is gone. The MS systems are awesome!

My friend has a MS2 PNP in his 91 Mustang turbo. Just got back from tweaking the A/F table since 10:1 at idle is a lil rich. The autotune seems a little slow though. Actually took it down the road and 4 or 5 wot blasts through 3rd gear and is a beast when boost comes on. The off boost timing is way too low especially 1500 and lower. We are going to build a couple of extra timing tables to get the transition from vac to boost right so the flat spot is gone. The MS systems are awesome!

You can adjust how fast or slow you want it to make changes (How many hit counts). You can also set the exhaust flow delay time to make sure it's reading the right exhaust when it's in transitional periods of time or say you have the sensor a long way away from the engine. If you need any help with adjusting the features of it let me know. Also there are several MS pages on facebook that are great for help as well as the Megamanual.

Good Luck, Dan

Also on an unrelated note I did an MS3/x with LS1 coils on my buddies 5.0 mustang swap in his wheeling rig. A little 67MM turbo and NV4500 trans that baby lights up fast! Not a whole lot of power, maybe 450-500WHP but its sure enough to get into trouble on the trail with! lol

,Dan

Bumping an old thread, but getting ready to do the same and checking for any significant updates.

FiTech/Sniper was the other option, but I think this looks better. A HELL of a lot more complicated, but better.