the lt1/ls1 maf and translator???? STUPID QUESTION

Another advantage to the newer MAF, either the LT1 or the LS1, is lower restriction. Some vendors have tested them, and depending on how they test, they either got higher flow, or lower pressure drop. Either one is a good thing.
And if you REALLY want high flow/low restriction, Lingenfelter has a 100mm (4") MAF, meant for Corvettes, but could be adapted.

TurboDave said:
Please, only correct facts to posts.

Ok, here's one: my GN runs what it does using a stock Buick MAF I put on about 8 years ago. Note: the intake is 3" from air filter to turbo. Hope this helps, agteacher.

maf translator plus, extender chip, 42 lb injectors, impala ss 3" mass air meter (lt1 from camaro is 3.5") BLOW THROUGH set up, works like a dream, required for the dreaded blow off valve...at least i don't hear the flock of turkeys under the hood when the te-63 backs up...

pacecarta said:
dave , extender etend extreme,commander whatever i dont care to know which does what exactly but thanks for correcting , point is without the baily chips you arent going to read above 255gm sec , the other point was fueling doesnt stop just because you maxed the stock chip limits of 255 as many seem to keep posting , and all those wot fueling adjustments in the trnslator dont function once you reach 255 on a stock type chip ,

eric has other means of determing fuel needs above 255, but being a stock type chip it runs off a preset mapping of its fuel needs once in wot mode.
so it wont make up for changes in your combo that affect airflow or adjust to your particular setup , if you need more/or less WOT fuel youll have to have him reburn or tweak it yourself with the program features ,

no the fueling don't stop after the 255 grams/s but then the ECM uses the PE % table to add fuel based on tps and rpm.

say you have 16psi and it reads 230 grams/s then you turn up the boost to 21 psi. you have now enter the area where the ecm no longer has control to add or subtract fuel.

It can only add the set amount of fuel the programer puts in the PE tables @ a given rpm. that why you have to keep adjusting the fuel pressure to get your wot fueling where it needs to be.

where as the bailey chips if you up the boost the ecm is going to add the proper amount of fuel and keep it there and there is no need to adjust the fuel pressure to get more fuel into the engine. the maf can read 512 grams/s so you have fuel control all the way to 512 grams/s or 712 grams/s this makes it easier to tune and it is a consist tune.

Bailey makes great chips what makes these chips so nice is that you can make certain changes without having to reburn the chip.

i use to run his extender extreme chips for 55's till i recently bought a FAST system. to get complete control of my fueling

Drip Pan said:
Ok, here's one: my GN runs what it does using a stock Buick MAF I put on about 8 years ago. Note: the intake is 3" from air filter to turbo. Hope this helps, agteacher.

how many chips were used until you got the tune where it is @ rite now.

with a bailey chip you can make certain changes without having to reburn the chip. a stock style chip works and works great. but your at the mercy of the chip programer to get it rite the first time.

SloGN said:
How many chips were used until you got the tune where it is @ rite now? With a bailey chip you can make certain changes without having to reburn the chip. A stock style chip works and works great but you're at the mercy of the chip programer to get it rite the first time.

Thus far, only one; I use a modified ECM to run 72's.

SloGN said:
say you have 16psi and it reads 230 grams/s then you turn up the boost to 21 psi. you have now enter the area where the ecm no longer has control to add or subtract fuel.

It can only add the set amount of fuel the programer puts in the PE tables @ a given rpm. that why you have to keep adjusting the fuel pressure to get your wot fueling where it needs to be.

with stock chip at wot there is no control of fuel coming from the intake readings so 230 or 255 whats the difference ,
you are at the mercy of the chip builder so pick a good one , i chose turbotweak, he goes over whta your car is and builds a chip around your specific mods and plans , if its not right he will work to make it fit your car , yes you will have to add the fuel and adjust the timing in the chip if you choose to run higher boost or different octane than chip was burned for but thats what tuning is all about.

I have never adjusted my fuel with regulator and run many different varied boost levels , on newest TT chip there is a 20% +/- adjustability on fueling which should cover most fueling needs (boost levels) and you can add or renmove fuel as long as your injectors can meet the need and now there isa 1st gear fuel trim and 10* +/- timing adjustability to cover any octane you choose to run ,

i run one chip in my 87 , a TT alky , and have run it from 21 -30psi with stock and TA49/TE44 turbo , the chip is tweakable and i adjust fuel through the chip , i personally like the fact that my fueling isnt sensor based but based on what it should need , with a TT chip the O2 can be yanked out and the car will still run fine

on my 86 i have run on the one older TT chip , i do have two chips , one street and one race (more timing little more fuel ) and so far 10.5 on race chip with 93 and little 112 and 10.7 93 alky (still tuning) . both are non alky chips and i used the street to safely ease the change from gas to 93 + alky but now after seeing where the car is at I'm back on the race chip and running 93 + alky and have room in chip to add 20% more fuel and add 5 degrees timing in 1-2 and 3-4 gear .
and i run the translators at base settings

pacecarta said:
with stock chip at wot there is no control of fuel coming from the intake readings so 230 or 255 whats the difference ,
you are at the mercy of the chip builder so pick a good one , i chose turbotweak, he goes over whta your car is and builds a chip around your specific mods and plans , if its not right he will work to make it fit your car , yes you will have to add the fuel and adjust the timing in the chip if you choose to run higher boost or different octane than chip was burned for but thats what tuning is all about.

I have never adjusted my fuel with regulator and run many different varied boost levels , on newest TT chip there is a 20% +/- adjustability on fueling which should cover most fueling needs (boost levels) and you can add or renmove fuel as long as your injectors can meet the need and now there isa 1st gear fuel trim and 10* +/- timing adjustability to cover any octane you choose to run ,

i run one chip in my 87 , a TT alky , and have run it from 21 -30psi with stock and TA49/TE44 turbo , the chip is tweakable and i adjust fuel through the chip , i personally like the fact that my fueling isnt sensor based but based on what it should need , with a TT chip the O2 can be yanked out and the car will still run fine

on my 86 i have run on the one older TT chip , i do have two chips , one street and one race (more timing little more fuel ) and so far 10.5 on race chip with 93 and little 112 and 10.7 93 alky (still tuning) . both are non alky chips and i used the street to safely ease the change from gas to 93 + alky but now after seeing where the car is at I'm back on the race chip and running 93 + alky and have room in chip to add 20% more fuel and add 5 degrees timing in 1-2 and 3-4 gear .
and i run the translators at base settings

a turbotweak chip is not like a normal chip that you would burn using tunercat. those chips have had the bin file reworked to make those changes.

after 255 grams/s you run on a set PE table that the programer sets in the chip even the stock acxa chip is programmed the same way.

Man forget all that stuf and go with the MAFTPro :biggrin: ! No more sensor period! See!
IMG_1971.jpg

vader87 said:
Man forget all that stuf and go with the MAFTPro :biggrin: ! No more sensor period! See!
IMG_1971.jpg

the maf pro works good i guess from what others have said. But your still relying on that slow 1227148 ecm that is tring to do one thing it was designed for. emissions.

even with a maf pro you still can't get in and tune every aspect of the engine's needs.

Go with a DFI,FAST, efi system to get the most from your engine and do it safely.

I'm not putting down the stock ecm it works great for what it was designed to do.

the only person i know that can take a stock ecm and tune every aspect of the engines needs is bruce plecan but he has several hundred hours in writing code and studying how making what changes effects other values in the hex code on the ecm.

SloGN said:
the maf pro works good i guess from what others have said. But your still relying on that slow 1227148 ecm that is tring to do one thing it was designed for. emissions.

even with a maf pro you still can't get in and tune every aspect of the engine's needs.

Go with a DFI,FAST, efi system to get the most from your engine and do it safely.

I'm not putting down the stock ecm it works great for what it was designed to do.

the only person i know that can take a stock ecm and tune every aspect of the engines needs is bruce plecan but he has several hundred hours in writing code and studying how making what changes effects other values in the hex code on the ecm.

There are a few others that can push the envelope..... like a wideband controlled stock ECU... no mods to the ecu...... set a target AFR for the wideband..... and the ECU will tune itself at WOT...... timing adjustments are there as well...... not as many tweakable settings as a FAST.... but impressive enhnacement for a 19 year old ECU none-the-less.

Just because the ECU is 19 years old... doesn't mean you can't teach an old dog new tricks :biggrin:

Blazer406 said:
There are a few others that can push the envelope..... like a wideband controlled stock ECU... no mods to the ecu...... set a target AFR for the wideband..... and the ECU will tune itself at WOT...... timing adjustments are there as well...... not as many tweakable settings as a FAST.... but impressive enhnacement for a 19 year old ECU none-the-less.

Just because the ECU is 19 years old... doesn't mean you can't teach an old dog new tricks :biggrin:

how is that being done on a 148 ecm.are u using a inovate that has a 0-1 volt output on the wide band controller. if that the case you still relying on a narrow band reading to make adjustments from not a very good way to do it. but it will work ok i guess.

that has me intrested in how that was done. The only person that i know that could maybe make something like that work would be bruce plecan since he has several hundred hours in wrote the code for his current ecm.

i know the sy/ty ecm can have the hex code for the chip rewrote and you can plug a wide band info rite into the ecm and the ecm recognize the wide band info.

the sy/ty ecm is light yrs ahead of the 148 ecm.

Blazer406 said:

GREAT discussions but, we are getting off track here folks. Please "DO TELL" in another post (??)

the name is eric marshal, its a wb correcting chip and its in beta stage but there are a few out there running just fine , it has all the features of the 5.6 chips plus wb correction and some other neat things combined with ds you can record the A/F

Jerryl said:

Yes, good info as far as it goes though. It doesn't make it real clear to the average reader that to achieve a reasonable A/F ratio up past the MAF's 255 limit that the 10:1 ratio mentioned has to be hard coded into the chip. Which means a new chip burn each time an A/F ratio change is desired past the 255 limit.
There are tricks, but the only reasonable method is to be able to meter the airflow that the motor is capable of pulling, or at least tricking the computer into thinking that it is.

TurboDave said:
Yes, good info as far as it goes though. It doesn't make it real clear to the average reader that to achieve a reasonable A/F ratio up past the MAF's 255 limit that the 10:1 ratio mentioned has to be hard coded into the chip. Which means a new chip burn each time an A/F ratio change is desired past the 255 limit.
There are tricks, but the only reasonable method is to be able to meter the airflow that the motor is capable of pulling, or at least tricking the computer into thinking that it is.

Understand, FULLY agree, and, depends on your goal(s).
(Can't wait for the WB version to be released!)