the lt1/ls1 maf and translator???? STUPID QUESTION

agteacher

Life is GREAT!!
What is the DEAL with the lt1/ls1 maf and translator????
What is the difference between the STOCK MAF and the lt1/ls1 maf ...3in...3.5in????? AND what is the TRANSLATOR???? I read and read and SOME say "GOTTA have them"
WELL......what the REAL-DEAL with them....and... should that be something to add to a FEW-MOD. car????

THANKS for answering in VERY SIMPLE LANGUAGE......

When your stock MAF craps out, get a Translator.
The stock MAFs are unavailable and the remans are sometimes "iffy".
The Translator lets you use a newer style MAF.
They also give you some tuning options which may or may not be useful to you.

Grumpy said:
if the stocker is working leave it alone :eek: :p

I still have my oem maf because direct scan and scanmaster tell me it's functioning as it should; however, I did take it off and clean it with maf cleaner. It was filthy inside. I didn't realize how dirty it was until the cleaner came pouring out inky black. I have never heard anyone talk about cleaning these things-old ones and new ones. Seems like a good idea to me.

There are a couple of advantages to the chevy MAFs. For one, the stock Buick MAF is no longer being made. The ones you get from aftermarket are not dependable- some are calibrated wrong. So going with the chevy part means you can go to a GM dealer, and get what you need.
Second, the stock MAF has a limited range. It will only go to 255 gm/sec, which is not enough for even the stock turbo, if you do any mods at all. Once the air flow goes "off scale", then your ECM can no longer add fuel with precision, so tuning it can be more trial and error than it should be. The other MAFs have more range, and in combo with the right chips, will give you much more tuning ability.

Why didn't I stay with the SBC??????

:confused: MAN....Everytime I THINK that I START to get a handle on the GN.....SOMETHING made me feel STUDIP....like some of the KIDS I teach :rolleyes: SO.....what ALL do I need to change-over to get this MAF/Translator to work CORRECTLY??????? AND....Which is better for my "FEW MOD. gn????? :confused:

FAR REAL!!!!! you guys are SUPER!!!! THANKS for HELPING me with my QUESTIONS!!!! :cool:

full throttle has the translators and just pick up a junkyard lt1 or lsi maf, may have to splice into harness may not on my trans + i bought a premade harness from casper electronics, call mike at full throttle he'll explain.

agteacher said:
:confused: MAN....Everytime I THINK that I START to get a handle on the GN.....SOMETHING made me feel STUDIP....like some of the KIDS I teach :rolleyes: SO.....what ALL do I need to change-over to get this MAF/Translator to work CORRECTLY??????? AND....Which is better for my "FEW MOD. gn????? :confused:

FAR REAL!!!!! you guys are SUPER!!!! THANKS for HELPING me with my QUESTIONS!!!! :cool:

You spelled Stupid wrong...lol

There are also 3 versions of the translator, the original, translator plus and translator pro.

another tid bit is the LT1 MAF is 3 inch, the LS1 Maf is 3.5 inch and there is not a true 4 inch maf yet.

Ormand said:
There are a couple of advantages to the chevy MAFs. For one, the stock Buick MAF is no longer being made. The ones you get from aftermarket are not dependable- some are calibrated wrong. So going with the chevy part means you can go to a GM dealer, and get what you need.
Second, the stock MAF has a limited range. It will only go to 255 gm/sec, which is not enough for even the stock turbo, if you do any mods at all. Once the air flow goes "off scale", then your ECM can no longer add fuel with precision, so tuning it can be more trial and error than it should be. The other MAFs have more range, and in combo with the right chips, will give you much more tuning ability.

first it is not a chevy maf its a gm corporate part and can be found on hundreds of gm cars so getting one from a salvage yard usually isnt hard , also they are cheap new , and lastly cant say ive ever heard of one failing like the stockers seem to do

as to the limited range and no longer adding fuel above 255 . if you arent running an extender or commander the 255gm sec limit means nothing . with stock type chips the maf reading does max at 255gm/sec but it doesnt matter anyway because once you go wot the maf is almost maxed and the chip adds fuel based on other inputs such as rpm so having ability to read above 255 means nothing , mine is maxed out before i move 1 foot at the track and works just fine
if you want maf based fueling at wot the translator will allow you to read to twice stock range (512gm/sec ) if you run with the extender chip and if your combo really flows and you run bigger injectors the commander chip can read to 3 times stock. this ability to have fuel controlled by actual air flow allows you to make changes to your combo as long as its not injector and the fueling would adjust accordingly ,

Im a translator and T+ user but run TT chips and i like that the translator allows me to run a 3" lt1 maf and put it in the uppipe

pacecarta said:
first it is not a chevy maf its a gm corporate part and can be found on hundreds of gm cars so getting one from a salvage yard usually isnt hard , also they are cheap new , and lastly cant say ive ever heard of one failing like the stockers seem to do

as to the limited range and no longer adding fuel above 255 . if you arent running an extender or commander the 255gm sec limit means nothing . with stock type chips the maf reading does max at 255gm/sec but it doesnt matter anyway because once you go wot the maf is almost maxed and the chip adds fuel based on other inputs such as rpm so having ability to read above 255 means nothing , mine is maxed out before i move 1 foot at the track and works just fine
if you want maf based fueling at wot the translator will allow you to read to twice stock range (512gm/sec ) if you run with the extender chip and if your combo really flows and you run bigger injectors the commander chip can read to 3 times stock. this ability to have fuel controlled by actual air flow allows you to make changes to your combo as long as its not injector and the fueling would adjust accordingly ,

Im a translator and T+ user but run TT chips and i like that the translator allows me to run a 3" lt1 maf and put it in the uppipe

Your post is a bit confusing. To say that the ability to read above 255 being meaningless is to say the least, misleading. If you can reas above 255 then correct fuel delivery can be maintained above that level.
The Extender chip allows maf to meter above the 255 level NOT the Translator. Hence the name Extender. The Translator has the fuel adjustments for WOT, but can't be used unless the 255 limit is breached by the Extender chip.
Then there's the Extender Extreme which allows maf readings up to aprox. 712gps.

The Commander chip does not extend maf range as you eluded to. It merely adds all of the nice features of the Extender chip to a stock maf'd car. It still has the 255 limit.

The Translator gen II is an up dated push button micropocessor controlled version of the Translator +

The Translator Pro being the next step up with all the features of the GenII but also adding the ability to go mafless.

Please, only correct facts to posts.

Does anyone know if turbotweak chips read above 255 or only the extender chip. I know Eric now sells translators and ls1 maf's, was wondering how his chips work with this setup, thanks.

Is your stock MAF working? If it is, leave it alone. I've gone 11's and have a friend (in Vicksburg) that went 10.40's with stock MAF. If it aint broke dont fix it. If you have just a few mods maybe you could spend that $ on something that would help your times a little better than trans+ . Just my 2 cents...

chris in brookhaven

dave , extender etend extreme,commander whatever i dont care to know which does what exactly but thanks for correcting , point is without the baily chips you arent going to read above 255gm sec , the other point was fueling doesnt stop just because you maxed the stock chip limits of 255 as many seem to keep posting , and all those wot fueling adjustments in the trnslator dont function once you reach 255 on a stock type chip ,

eric has other means of determing fuel needs above 255, but being a stock type chip it runs off a preset mapping of its fuel needs once in wot mode.
so it wont make up for changes in your combo that affect airflow or adjust to your particular setup , if you need more/or less WOT fuel youll have to have him reburn or tweak it yourself with the program features ,

first it is not a chevy maf its a gm corporate part
So, if I got to the Saturn dealer, I can find a Saturn with an LT1/LS1 Saturn engine? Will a Caddy come with an LT1/LS1? How about a Buick Lucerne? I guess I thought the engines, LT1 and LS1, were chevy engines. Maybe you mean that the MAF comes on other engines besides the LT1/LS1. Real hard to understand.

??????

Does all of this clear it up for you agteacher? :tongue: :eek:

Why do you think your MAF needs replacement?

Chris

Not Sure!!!!

8AV8 said:
Does all of this clear it up for you agteacher? :tongue: :eek:

Why do you think your MAF needs replacement?

Chris

According to the orginal owner(I got the car from) very-little has been changed under the hood.......and...... the mpg is not very good....and poor idle.... just trying to get a baseline..
here are some #(max reading)
IAC---188
tempt---190
speed--- 86
rpm---4200
tps----3.19
int----128
02---.97
maf--255
blm---141
mat---248.4
knock retard---.70deg
bat---13.8v
don't know if I am reading these chart correctly----WinALDL---new to it... not sure if I have it set-up correctly.---(wide agv.--wide latest and 4 or 5 more tables)

THANKS

It's just easier to reference the maf's as LT1 or LS1 since those are the most popular ( performance wise ) that use these. My 2001 GMC Safari work van has a 3" LT1 maf but it's motor is only a 4.3L vortec. It's alot cooler going to the dealer ship and asking for an LT1 or LS1 sensor for your T+ rather than asking for maf for a mini-van ;)

As far as the 255gm limit, the non extenders i.e., stock type chips, cannot read past 255 so to adjust fueling is the old school way, with the regulator. You can have more fuel added in the map where you need it but still you have the 255 limit in which the ecm can't be in control of the fuel. The Extender of course extends the range in which the ecm can remain in control of adding the fuel, making tuning alot easier.

agteacher said:
According to the orginal owner(I got the car from) very-little has been changed under the hood.......and...... the mpg is not very good....and poor idle.... just trying to get a baseline..
here are some #(max reading)
IAC---188
tempt---190
speed--- 86
rpm---4200
tps----3.19
int----128
02---.97
maf--255
blm---141
mat---248.4
knock retard---.70deg
bat---13.8v
don't know if I am reading these chart correctly----WinALDL---new to it... not sure if I have it set-up correctly.---(wide agv.--wide latest and 4 or 5 more tables)

THANKS

Give us a reading at hot idle.....

Also give a list of everything you think is done to the car....

I run a LS1 MAF meter along with a big mouth cold air kit with the 3-1/2" MAF pipe..... it matches to the LS1 MAF meter nicely..... and also have the translator..... Mike at FullThrottle can set you up with the translator and a brand new GM Ls1 MAF meter as well...

Unless I missed it.... no one explained why you need a translator..... the newer MAF meters.... have a faster processor... that is calibrated much differently.... and the electrical connector is wrong for our cars..... this is where the translator comes in..... it plugs into the LS1/Lt1 style MAF meter.... and has another pigtail to plug into the stock wiring harness.... this allows the Ls1 MAf meter.... to then go through the translator to..... well...."translate" the signal to something the stock ECM can understand.....

FWIW.... I love my TurboTweak chip.... Eric is top notch...... has adjustments that are available "in the chip" are all you need until you step up to a FAST or DFI computer.... IMHO....