Tell me why I can't do this

wv-t

Is there any reason not to do this? I have a stock 86 T, and I was thinking I could buy Sunoco FR and turn up the boost for a couple of days of fun, then turn the boost back down and go back to 93 octane. Sunoco FR is 96 octane is unleaded, oxygenated, and they claim performs well in turbo motors, plus won't foul o2 sensors. I keep an old piece of wire or paper clip on the turbo puck so I can twist it off, adjust the boost, and twist it back on. Typical West Virginia, but there is no duck tape anywhere on the car. And here are the specs on the fuel: http://www.racegas.com/fuel/5

I hate to sound overly harsh, but here goes.....

Because it's dumb.

Constantly screwing around with your fuel back and forth and your boost levels back and forth will basically mean your car will never be in a correct state of tune. And WHEN the car decides to screw with you by throwing out some random ailment that makes no sense (and it will), you'll have no baseline to start from.

On the positive side, you'll be able to talk like you're a super tuna, and quite possibly win a few more bench races and stuff. So that's something :)

Spend 500 or so and get an Alky kit. Run 24+psi forever.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Sounds like a fine idea to me. A guy needs to be able to crank up the boost once in a while. 18 psi and 96 octane should work great. Have fun! You do want to make sure everything is in good shape though. Plugs, wires, fuel pump, transmission. The list goes on and on. But if the car is in reasonable shape, 18 psi with some 96 octane fuel is not going to hurt anything.

Sounds like a fine idea to me. A guy needs to be able to crank up the boost once in a while. 18 psi and 96 octane should work great. Have fun! You do want to make sure everything is in good shape though. Plugs, wires, fuel pump, transmission. The list goes on and on. But if the car is in reasonable shape, 18 psi with some 96 octane fuel is not going to hurt anything.
AGREED. Is the 260GT not available?
With a stock engine 20 PSI will not hurt if everything is in good shape and you have good octane

I agree, and if he gets/likes the added performance from turning up the boost he can then buy an ALKY kit so he only spends the extra money when he's in the boost.

An ALKY kit will end up paying for itself if he wants the added boost all the time versus paying the added expense of higher octane fuel.

Go ahead and try it, if you like it by an alky kit. If you don't see results that justify the added expense of higher octane/alky at least you will know and can continue to run on lower boost.

If you do go that route a new chip burned for your set up will also be in the cards.

You'll never know until you try it.;)