te50 turbo??

checked gap on the plugs, they were all over .032. I gapped them all to .032. Got the tach hooked up also. Gonna try taking it out friday and see what happens.

Lmk how you make out with this. I remember a customers car about 3 years ago that had one of these and a d5. It was a complete turd. I think it ran mid 13's. I switched it to a te44 and chipped it and it went 12.20 with no other changes. Spool time was 1/4 of what it was with the T350 turbine. I also tried one of these on my blue car a while back with the wastegate wired shut and couldnt get past 450whp. The compressor was simply done. The engine was a low compression slightly over cammed turd but it later went 10.61 with a 60-1. TE50 is T04E 60 trim comp wheel and the expensive T350 10 blade turbine. Aka PT51 if it has the E cover. It needs a small stockish cam with a good converter to work properly. Kind of a mismatch of wheels imo. The 60-1 comp wheel would be an easy switch out and would work better on an engine with heads and cam.The 6152 uses the same turbine with the 61m GT35r comp wheel and doesnt run out of steam. The 61 comp wheel uses a bastard backing plate to be used on a t04E that makes it too expensive to switch out. The 61 comp wheel isnt cheap either. The switch out would cost close to $400 after machining the comp housing and paying the piper for the back plate and comp wheel.

I knew it.
Finally somebody else "says" something about the bastard backing plate for the comp 61 wheel. I had been trying to explain it for years without luck. Thank you for finally confirming my results.

now find one of these gems in carbon seal....

dr_frankenstein said:
I knew it.
Finally somebody else "says" something about the bastard backing plate for the comp 61 wheel. I had been trying to explain it for years without luck. Thank you for finally confirming my results.

now find one of these gems in carbon seal....

I could do it with carbon seal but the back plate machining would be by the hr.

I have a few, but thank you! Your voice carrys more weight in such matters. Thus, I was so happy to hear you mention it. They may not believe me......... but they sure will believe you. ;)

After going through this thread a bit and a few other threads, it makes me think the 204-214 cam may be a bit much for what I have. I'm sure the off the shelf hypers I got are low compression and I doubt the .030 overbore made much of a difference. Do you guys think my combo is a little mismatched? I don't know what has been done to the heads for sure but I do know the intake ports have been gasket matched, the exhaust ports have been cleaned up, can't confirm any bowl work. It has stock valves and aftermarket springs. I know I have a valve guide issue since I have smoke on warm start up. Plugs look fine though. Is the garret housing going to hold back much power with the p-trim 60-1?

usetaboost said:
After going through this thread a bit and a few other threads, it makes me think the 204-214 cam may be a bit much for what I have. I'm sure the off the shelf hypers I got are low compression and I doubt the .030 overbore made much of a difference. Do you guys think my combo is a little mismatched? I don't know what has been done to the heads for sure but I do know the intake ports have been gasket matched, the exhaust ports have been cleaned up, can't confirm any bowl work. It has stock valves and aftermarket springs. I know I have a valve guide issue since I have smoke on warm start up. Plugs look fine though. Is the garret housing going to hold back much power with the p-trim 60-1?
I've been almost 124mph with the Garrett .63. I'm sure I could have squeezed more out of it too. I'd leave the cam alone. Once you get this thing back with more compressor it will really wake up over 5000rpm.

It seems to pull nice and steady through the rpm range in 3rd. What's gonna be the sweet spot for this turbo psi wise? How much power do you think it will make on pump gas/meth? Will I see increased or decreased spool time? ALso, does it look as though exhaust has been creeping past the puck? I read that by having the wastegate hole ported too big it will cause the puck to blow open. I think that's what may be going on with mine. It seemed to go away for the most part when I wired it shut.

I'm a big boy now Charlie, my wife changes my poops and peeps. And as long as she stays looking the way she does I'm gonna keep making them look like a picaso painting til death do we part:p

I'm a big boy now Charlie, my wife changes my poops and peeps. And as long as she stays looking the way she does I'm gonna keep making them look like a picaso painting til death do we part:p
That was way more than I wanted to know Jesse.:confused:

I've been almost 124mph with the Garrett .63. I'm sure I could have squeezed more out of it too. I'd leave the cam alone. Once you get this thing back with more compressor it will really wake up over 5000rpm.

So I FINALLY got to take the car out today. Nothing but disapointments lol, and not on the fault of the turbo. The chip doesn't seem to be dumping enough fuel, then I blew the pcv hose off. I forgot to put another zip tie on it. Hit 8*KR on the sm but I let out of it before I even had time to look at the sm. There was no audible knock when it popped but I'm gonna pull plugs and make sure nothing crazy happened. I did notice that when I pulled over I immediately checked the exhaust pipes to make sure I didn't blow a headgasket or anything bad and there was no smoke. After I popped the hood and hooked up the pcv hose I noticed the smoke. I'm gonna block off the pcv hose and see if it still blows smoke tomorrow.

BLM's are 131 at idle, iac and tps look good, but I can hear an exhaust leak under the hood. I put my ears on and checked the turbo flange and I can hear a very slight tick around the top bolt, nothing anywhere else though that I could find. Don't know if this could be causing any problems or not. The car also seems to be running on the warm side, don't think the fan is spinning fast and I have no idea how to diagnose it, so if anyone knows lmk.

The turbo seems to spool the same as before, maybe better. THe puck is blowing open so I'm gonna have to get an HD actuator sometime. My stupid computer erased half of what I wrote so I'll report back after I pull the plugs and make sure everything is ok.

Plugs looked good but I threw some new ones in anyway. #5 looks like it was running lean so I'm gonna pull it after I take it out for a couple pulls. The pcv is definitelyy sucking oil but it only seems to be doing it at idle. I hold the throttle at 2-3k and it clears up and goes away. If I unhook the pcv and block off the vac hardline it smokes out the driver side breather and even worse out the tailpipes. Just to alleviate any concerns I'm gonna do a compression test. Gonna pressurize the intake and check for any leaks there also. Sorry, no turbo talk in this post:oops:

Got the blms down to 127-129 after I found that the vac block was leaking so I cleaned up the gasket and smeared a thin coat of rtv on both sides, that seemed to clear things up. I'm having trouble getting the boost down. I unscrewed the boost controller quite a bit but it's still high. Probably gonna have to unscrew the actuator a few turns and try to balance them both out. I put 5/16 hoses on the actuator, don't know if this is causing it. The turbo seems to spool slightly better. I still have yet to do a WOT pull because I'm not getting the fuel for it for some reason. I have a single reds pump with a 237 regulator and 55lb injectors and the chip is supposed to be set up for alky around 25 psi. I adjusted the chip as much as I can to compensate. I would think 55lb injectors would be enough to support this turbo and high boost with alky.

I would expect this compressor to really start showing a gain with boost in the mid 20's over 5200 rpm. I wouldn't expect spoolup to be any faster.

The initial spool isn't faster but it does reach max boost a lot quicker. I didn't have time to mess with it today but I did turn the actuator out a few turns and I'm gonna drain the 50/50 mix out of the alky tank and put straight methanol in. I would think I have enough pump and injector to support this turbo:confused: . I might try getting it out tomorrow and play with it a bit.

Weekend went well. Aside from not having a converter and junk tires the car did ok friday night but had nothing comparable to match it with besides turbonuts car but he cheated lol. Saturday sucked, car wasn't hooking worth a shit and running hot, as high as 215. ALso had a junk booster which really screwed things up. So over the winter I plan on upgrading the radiator and fan, ditching the oil cooler, getting some sort of tire for the rear, and I need a stall. I really don't want to spend a buttload of cash on a stall since the trans is completely stock and I'm sure it won't live past a few years (even though it is holding up suprisingly well). Any suggestions for a stall?

Throw a shift kit in there asap. Save the $ for a good converter that will get the best e.t. Ive already posted enough about converters so with that it go with only one type. Unless your not looking to get the most out if what you have.