te50 turbo??

For the size of the wheel, I find it hard to believe the stock garret exhaust housing is helping anything.

For the size of the wheel, I find it hard to believe the stock garret exhaust housing is helping anything.
That is a huge mismatch of wheels imo. That is a very uncommon combination. With just a compressor wheel change you could be supporting alot more power. Is it a large or small shaft? Has to be Precisions if its small unless a few turbines leaked out and were sold on the black market :eek:

That is a huge mismatch of wheels imo. That is a very uncommon combination. With just a compressor wheel change you could be supporting alot more power. Is it a large or small shaft? Has to be Precisions if its small unless a few turbines leaked out and were sold on the black market :eek:
Bison, I got definite turbo flutter at part throttle while getting on the highway. I was thinking it was because of the mismatched wheels but I did a search and read that some have had this problem even with a ta49. Could it just be the wastegate needs tightened up a bit? I've only got it to do it twice. The car doesn't jerk but the boost guage is erratic and the turbo is fluttering like crazy. I don't stay in it when this has happened, I'm sure it can't be good on the turbo or engine for that matter.

I had one years ago and experienced boost control issues with it. Had to run 2 wastegates but it did work well once boost was under control. That was the beginning of the hybrid turbos for TR's.

Makes me think back to what this guy ^ said about that issue Jesse, back in post 4.

Soon after I posted this I blew a vacuum line off. I slipped it back on but it's very loose. I'm going to zip tie all my vac lines and replace a few and see what happens. This issue all of a sudden started and I think it may be because of this line.

Bison, I got definite turbo flutter at part throttle while getting on the highway. I was thinking it was because of the mismatched wheels but I did a search and read that some have had this problem even with a ta49. Could it just be the wastegate needs tightened up a bit? I've only got it to do it twice. The car doesn't jerk but the boost guage is erratic and the turbo is fluttering like crazy. I don't stay in it when this has happened, I'm sure it can't be good on the turbo or engine for that matter.
Its just some light throttle surge. No big deal. If you have the Garrett housing it will be worse. By mismatch i meant the compressor will support 500hp and the turbine will support 800hp.

Its just some light throttle surge. No big deal. If you have the Garrett housing it will be worse. By mismatch i meant the compressor will support 500hp and the turbine will support 800hp.
Yeah it's got the garret housing, and yeah you're right about the smaller housings making the condition worse. Found that out on another forum. After I fix the vac hose problems under the hood I'm gonna take it out for another quick drive. I'm hoping the line blowing off is what made it worse, and the bad part it was the one going to the map sensor. Thankfully there was no audible knock or kr on the sm. I must have gotten out of it in time. I did notice that line seemed to be oil soaked. Thought I had this taken care of after the pcv issue and leaky turbo. I pulled the air intake off just to make sure there were no issues with the turbo, didn't see any oil but I'm gonna pull the uppipe off in the morning just to make sure. Funny how a few changes on the motor can make weird problems come out.

According to bison, this isn't even the turbo I was told it was. I have no idea what the hell it is. I was hangin out with a group of people last night and asked me what turbo I was running. I told them it's a lopsided one.

It's a t04e 60 trim compressor with an f165 turbIne. In an e compressor cover with a garrett .63 turbine housing. Tell them that next time.

It's a t04e 60 trim compressor with an f165 turbIne. In an e compressor cover with a garrett .63 turbine housing. Tell them that next time.

lol I'll have to write all that down, I can't remember sh!t anymore. I've been trying to figure out what this turbo actually is but I haven't found anything that matches the wheel sizes yet.

lol I'll have to write all that down, I can't remember sh!t anymore. I've been trying to figure out what this turbo actually is but I haven't found anything that matches the wheel sizes yet.
You said the compressor is the same as a te44 and I posted a pic of the turbine (f1 65) you described in an earlier post. You shouldn't need anything else. It's exactly what I posted In post #53. I'm assuming it has a 360* dynamic thrust assembly to although you can't see it

Got some bad surge at WOT last night. I thought maybe it was the actuator too weak and letting the wastegate flop around causing erratic boost. I tied the gate shut today and took it out for a few wot pulls. Didn't experience the wot surge. Maybe I mistook the surge for spark blow out or a possible miss? I glanced at the sm when it happened and only had 1.2 of knock so I'm thinking it was surge. BTW Bison, 24 psi at wot with the gate tied shut at the top of 3rd. No kr but I'm pretty sure I'm out of injector with only running 42s.

Got some bad surge at WOT last night. I thought maybe it was the actuator too weak and letting the wastegate flop around causing erratic boost. I tied the gate shut today and took it out for a few wot pulls. Didn't experience the wot surge. Maybe I mistook the surge for spark blow out or a possible miss? I glanced at the sm when it happened and only had 1.2 of knock so I'm thinking it was surge. BTW Bison, 24 psi at wot with the gate tied shut at the top of 3rd. No kr but I'm pretty sure I'm out of injector with only running 42s.
Probably a miss. Its out of steam at 24psi just like mine was. Probably working the 42's hard if not with alky. With alky ive gone 124mph with the 42's. Have Reed re-contour that housing for a 60-1 and get the 60-1 compressor. It will keep making power the more you turn it up. You will probably pick up 25whp at 24psi too. Ill trade you for a 60-1 with e cover if youre interested

Yes I may be interested. I actually sent an email to reed and he said the ptrim wheel will work well with about 3 other wheels. I'm sure with a newer style comp wheel I probably wouldn't lose any spool time either.

I'm workin on getting a tach hooked up so I can kinda watch what the engine is doing when this is happening. Probably won't be til the end of the week til I get to take it out again though. Yes I am running alky. I plan on moving up to 80s, I have the chip near maxed for wot fuel. The chip isn't set up for alky and high boost but I bet those 42s are workin hard nontheless.

I'm gonna pull plugs also and see if I find anything. I'm going to go back to delcos anyway. Is a .032 gap tight enough for what I'm running? I've checked resistance on the coil and it checked out last summer and the car hasn't seen much drive time since then. I know it sucks trying to give assistance over the computer but any help is always appreciated.

BTW send me a pm on the details of the 60-1 and cover trade. Thanks. I'm guessing with this swap I will need to have the backing plate machined and a re-balance, correct?

pulled the plugs. The rear plugs are obviously lean, like grey lean on the porcelain. The rest are all white with a whitish strap. I noticed that the ones on the passenger side where the alky nozzle is are the ones that look like they are getting more fuel than the driver side. I could barely see the mark left for the timing but on most of the plugs it was right on the corner. If I got detonation out of number 5 would that have caused the wot surging and 1.2 kr? When this happened the other day it was when I punched it, all the other times I've just kinda rolled into full throttle. Other than that it looks like the plugs are burning clean and are close to the correct heat range but the rears kind of look like they may need a colder plug. I'm running one step colder than stock but by the looks of these plugs I could probably go colder. Looks like it's been burning very clean during idle and cruise also. I'm running an m15 nozzle. I don't know what the pump is putting out for psi but I know it's over 100