te-63-1 vs te-45a

sullen

Senior Daydreamer
Why is it that a te-63-1 (4 bolt) and a te-45a (3 bolt) are both rated at 715hp when the 63-1 has a 63mm and the 45a has a 66mm?

Is this where the 3bolt and 4bolt power differences come into play??
So if you put a 4 bolt housing on a 45a would it be noticeably stronger on the butt dyno than the current 63-1??

Ask Bison...he knows the differences better then anyone else I have talked to, here or on the phone.

Coach

I definitely dont know everything but ill say that the difference between the two in 3 bolt config is almost nothing unless you were working the 63 compressor really hard and even then you are still being choked on the exhaust side. To my knowledge they both use large shafted 76 trim turbines which are very old tech. Patrick may chime in on this and correct me if im wrong about the turbines. The 45a could be ordered with a GTQ turbine but most were not. Another thing to keep in mind is that the hp ratings are not actual set in stone numbers but numbers they assigned based on testing and customer feedback. Its entirely possible to make more power than they are rated for though most never even come within 20% of those advertised numbers. Imo a 63 with tangential 4 bolt will out power a 3 bolt 45a everywhere but need a looser converter than a 3 bolt. A 4 bolt 45a will make more than both other scenarios and the GTQ 4 bolt will easily power a car to 140+mph trap speeds with the correct combo. So 800+hp. You will feel nothing seat of the pants between them unless you were comparing them when they were near their max. Seat of the pants is usually better on the quicker spooling higher boost combo. All need at least 3200 stall speed at zero boost/vacuum to work ok. The GTQ 4 bolt version would need 4000 to be good on a pro tree. Knock off about 300-400rpm if they use a BB cartridge. If your planning on 700+hp and want to have an advantage over the guys running 3 bolts and havent spent a bunch of $ on headers and a downpipe yet then go the 4 bolt route. If not you will likely be able to spend the $ elsewhere to net more gains. Converting to a 4 bolt isnt cheap but if your going to be buying headers and dp its totally worth it. It may cost you an extra $1k over a 3 bolt not including headers but you will be able to make considerably more power if you crank it up. 4 bolt on a P trim is a waste imo. At minimum id run a 68 trim for a 4 bolt.

so much for that idea then, lol

thanx for the informative reply bison!

Simply the housing, and GN's are not a great example of how to maximize turbo HP potential in these scenarios. Take a rotary spinning 9500 in a 4 bolt vs a GN turning 5500 in a 3 bolt, the HP potential is not close.

The 4 bolt housing has so much top end potential vs the 3 bolt it's sick. It's slowly trickling into our scene but new headers, turbo and DP aren't something we all are ready to pump out $$ for.