TB v Supra

White Out

I am having a nice talk with a buddy. He is claming his mach V Supra is better than the GN. I say our 3.8 > his 3.0. I love Supra's b/c of their looks/ power but I have more faith in the GN. I know we have surpssed 1,000hp, but can I get some dyno queen numbers or some sick 1/4 mile numbers from you guys that are as close to stock as possible.

Nick

there fast, stock they can hit some crazy numbers with a right tuner and driver . I raced one when my car was very untuned and had some problems, it was a friends car and he had a couple of mods to it, I think he was BPU or something along those lines, we went from a 3o mph roll, he had me by like 2 cars, then we went from a dig and my tires were done and he had me there too. I would say if I raced him now it would probably not be good for him. I am going to race his friend in a couple of days, I let you know how it goes. anyways, what I am trying to say in all of that is go from a dig.

Better? In what way is it "better"? If you like ricers- it might be better for you. Stupid-ru has a car(with all the personality of a sponge in my eyes) that goes 12s off the showroom floor(WRX). That would be better for some. They(NO DOUBT) handle and stop better. If it gets better gas mileage- it's better that way. Larry Conley built his T/R('Tweaked') to go 7.75/178.98 mph in the quarter, before aerodynamics started working against him, so: we know we can get these RWD bricks to hook and run into the sevens. That would be fast enough for me(IF I had the jack, and the need be that quick). I said all that to say: "better" is purely up to an individual's way of thinking. For me personally: the T/R is "better." I can tune it to go as fast/quick as I'll ever want(without having to sell the house/Harley/firstborn male child), I love the body style(always have), it's a great sleeper, comfortable to sit in, there aren't 20,000 others running the streets, it's ALL American(even if some of the fasteners are metric)- and I don't have any desire to be associated with the ricers(the majority are knobs in this neighborhood and show it constantly). BUT: that's just me ;) !!!

Its all in what you consider better. I had a WH1 T-Type last year that ran 10.60's with a total of $9k invested, I have a buddy with a 93 Supra that has well over $25K total invested has run a best of 11.90. His car has no doubt has a lot of potential left in it and I am sure it will be in the 10's this year but he has more in mods than I had in my entire car. Overall potential of the Supras is very high but it is not for the "light of wallet".

I second that.

rodman99999 said:
Better? In what way is it "better"? If you like ricers- it might be better for you. Stupid-ru has a car(with all the personality of a sponge in my eyes) that goes 12s off the showroom floor(WRX). That would be better for some. They(NO DOUBT) handle and stop better. If it gets better gas mileage- it's better that way. Larry Conley built his T/R('Tweaked') to go 7.75/178.98 mph in the quarter, before aerodynamics started working against him, so: we know we can get these RWD bricks to hook and run into the sevens. That would be fast enough for me(IF I had the jack, and the need be that quick). I said all that to say: "better" is purely up to an individual's way of thinking. For me personally: the T/R is "better." I can tune it to go as fast/quick as I'll ever want(without having to sell the house/Harley/firstborn male child), I love the body style(always have), it's a great sleeper, comfortable to sit in, there aren't 20,000 others running the streets, it's ALL American(even if some of the fasteners are metric)- and I don't have any desire to be associated with the ricers(the majority are knobs in this neighborhood and show it constantly). BUT: that's just me ;) !!!
The Defense rests your Honor.

Its all in what you consider better
Absolutely! Many of our Buicks will run much faster in the quarter mile than an Audi A8. But there is little doubt that the Audi is "better", from many, many other aspects. But the Buicks are better for us!

A full frame steel Buick with alittle turbo 6, to me, by far out ways this conversation.Its harder to get a rear wheel drive steel car to run these numbers than it is a fiberglass I weigh nothing car.I get more impressed when I see a rear wheel drive car rip the tires off than I do a ricer.Anybody with front wheel drive can do that! Mine is as close to stock as possible and it runs 12.70@108 in 1/4 mile.The cooler it is the faster it goes.It also has more in it, Just need to tinker alittle.The GN weiged more than a Vet when it came out and still smoked it.I have seen same sick numbers that these GN's are running,nonstock of course, but there is more room under the hood for goodys! :biggrin: :biggrin: Just my opinion!

mec108 said:
How much would it cost me to run in the 7'ss ???? Just curious..
Get hold of Lawrence Conley at Conley's Performance Plus(Houston, Tx). He was doing 7s over six years ago. I'm certain he could give you the details. ;)

It is all relative to what you believe is better. If you don't like Imports, then you're never going to like one no matter how fast or impressive it is. Buicks/TTA's are just nice cars, and can be made fast very easy, plus there is a lot more room in the GN engine bay than any import, lol. That being said I own an awd Talon that is quite impressive, weighs about 3400lbs with me in it, has 26% drivetrain loss, yet I can still crank out a low 12 any day, with a small turbo, and traction is never an issue. I also am impressed with these cars, just last year Brent Rau went 6.97 at 198, with a 2.0L, while a full body awd model went 7.97 at 179 (John Shepherd). Still, seeing a black GN pull up to the line, barely make any noise and click off a 10 second pass gets me every time. ;) Plus, there are plenty of Supra's hitting 1000hp, and running low numbers, but the price for their parts is still very high, nice car, but you also see too many of the higher hp cars having bad e.t.'s.

oh yeah......supra are now considered "supercars"(dont know why but I have heard this a couple of times) I believe, so you pay supercar prices. I dont think you can get a 96 or 97 twin turbo version for less than 35k. but stock vs. stock, a supra out the the factory(mid 90s supras) came fully built out the factory and could handle something like 60 or 700 hp :eek: I would still take the Buick though anyday. rice is weak. me and the local supra club dont get along very well, so I think it makes me hate the supras alot!!

rodman99999 said:
Better? In what way is it "better"? If you like ricers- it might be better for you. Stupid-ru has a car(with all the personality of a sponge in my eyes) that goes 12s off the showroom floor(WRX).
I don't get it, every one is talking about the WRX going 12's off the floor but they can never keep up with me on the street and the last time I was at the track, I swear they weren't getting anywhere near the 12's in 1/4. Maybe they eeked out a 12 sec run with a stock STI? Personally, I'm more impressed with the DSM cars and I do kina like the SRT-4's. Iv'e seen those run 11's. Am I rambling?

darkred87T said:
I don't get it, every one is talking about the WRX going 12's off the floor but they can never keep up with me on the street and the last time I was at the track, I swear they weren't getting anywhere near the 12's in 1/4. Maybe they eeked out a 12 sec run with a stock STI? Personally, I'm more impressed with the DSM cars and I do kina like the SRT-4's. Iv'e seen those run 11's. Am I rambling?
Well, WRX's go about 14-15 second e.t.s stock. A few years back when they did the comparison between the STI and 03 Cobra in Hot Rod Magazine, they had similar times, I think around 13.3-13.5 area. Now I'm sure someone got an STI to go 12's, of course the definition of stock always varies, but I'm sure it is not impossible to get one around 12.9 nearly stock. But a stock WRX off the showroom floor will not run 12's. I raced one a few years ago at Norwalk, he put down a 12.9 but the car had about 9K into it (mostly suspension). And yes, you can not find a Supra, the new style anyways under 20K, it's almost as bad as an LS1 Trans Am, and stock their motors can handle a decent amount of power.

I personally have no problems with imports, but I do hate RICE (yes there is a differance). A Supra has everything you would want in a performance car. Rear wheel drive, a turbo, and a very stout motor. I've seen guys pull a 800+hp out of a Supra with a set of cams in a stock motor and bolt ons. Unfortunantly in a race stock to stock, the Supra (4th gen) will win. 80hp more and a few less pounds goes along way. Now would I take a Supra over my GN, NO!, but I wouldn't mine owning one along with my GN.

I would love to own a Supra. They still look exotic to me even after all these years. They have a good foundation (rwd and a strong bottom end). The GN will walk all over it in the price vs 1/4 mile times. I would never get rid of the GN for a Supra but I definately wouldn't mind owning both.

fiberglass I weigh nothing car.I get more impressed when I see a rear wheel drive car rip the tires off than I do a ricer.Anybody with front wheel drive can do that!

dont know where you were going with this, a supra is not exactly light, they weigh about 3500lbs, there also not front wheel drive. dont know if thats what you were saying, if it wsnt i apologize. they are v6 twin turbo cars that made 300+hp, i think, supras are not civics.

anyway, as for a supra being better than a GN, i dont know. its a matter of preference, i think we all know this. as for power and track times that can be pretty even. ive seen very fast supras and slow ones. same with GNs. there was a guy when i was in hawaii that i believe claimed he has 800+hp in his supra i think, i cant exactly remamber but it was a lot, anyway he couldnt drive it and i think he ran mid 12s with it. yes there is a difference between rice and imports, most of the stuff i see around my area is rice, both in the way the look and how their drivers act. all that said supras are of, but i dont think id ever own one, id rather have GNs, TRs and camaros, etc. but thats why im here and not on an import board somewhere. its a to each his own thing and i can respect an import if it deserves it, if it dosnt its just another ricer.

I like Poopras but they are ungodly expensive when you go beyond BPU (basic perf upgrades) which is downpipe/exhaust/EBC/etc. Going single turbo costs something like $10-15K in parts!

To make a GN run 10's consistently costs some $$$'s but nowhere near Supra money. 100K miles Supra are still commanding $20K+ which is insane.

A cam/heads LS1/T56 combo into a 2800lb 3rd gen RX-7 will run low 11's@128mph+ (1.9 60') n/a on 91 octane with road race suspension (1.13g's) for about $25K. Add a 150hp shot and you have a 9 second capable car that gets 25mpg+ hwy!

i've seen some supras lay down some big HP numbers..then run so so times

thats why i prefer torque :p