Tuning Basics

Yeah I feel a little uncomfortable at that amount of boost. I’ll turn the boost controller down. I didn’t see any signs of meth induction but planned on installing once it arrived.

With a "new to you" Turbo Regal, even with accurate records and history it's a good idea to start with lower boost and work your way up with proper instrumentation or logging equipment so you know what the car likes.

The guys want you to be cautious because there are many unknowns such as the fuel pump on its last leg, a clogged injector, spark plug gap too wide for higher (over 20psi) boost, weak ignition module or coil pack and the list goes on.
If everything is not right things will go awry in a hurry.

The guys aren't trying to bust your balls, they just want you to be able to enjoy your car for a long, long time.

With a "new to you" Turbo Regal, even with accurate records and history it's a good idea to start with lower boost and work your way up with proper instrumentation or logging equipment so you know what the car likes.

The guys want you to be cautious because there are many unknowns such as the fuel pump on its last leg, a clogged injector, spark plug gap too wide for higher (over 20psi) boost, weak ignition module or coil pack and the list goes on.
If everything is not right things will go awry in a hurry.

The guys aren't trying to bust your balls, they just want you to be able to enjoy your car for a long, long time.
The feedback is definitely appreciated. I planned to crank it back initially. I’m looking for someone who can tune in my area, just haven’t had luck yet.

Welcome to the family. Looking for someone local? If you havent done so already introduce yourself in the regional/Florida section on this board. Read read read. Turn the boost down. If you dont know how just ask. Always ask. And always keep 1 eye on your scanmaster. If you see knock stop what youre doing. Enjoy! They run great between breakdowns

Sorry. I misunderstood. Thought you were in Florida. Theres is a south east region here. Check in and say hello

Also, can anybody weigh in on how to go about the process of how to go about the tuning once the car arrives? The tuner I spoke with was under the impression he would need a chip burner and that would be way above his level of expertise. My understanding is that assuming the car has a TT chip and I know a ScanMaster, it should be possible for most any tuner to fine dyno tune without any additional devices, correct? Or do I have to invest in a PowerLogger for the logging component of the tuning process?

Also, can anybody weigh in on how to go about the process of how to go about the tuning once the car arrives? The tuner I spoke with was under the impression he would need a chip burner and that would be way above his level of expertise. My understanding is that assuming the car has a TT chip and I know a ScanMaster, it should be possible for most any tuner to fine dyno tune without any additional devices, correct? Or do I have to invest in a PowerLogger for the logging component of the tuning process?
Contact Eric at turbotweak and see how the chip was burned.could be a 93 octane chip tune or alky chip or race gas chip.his chip are adjustable so you or a tuner could do it.he usually burns the chip by fuel/target boost kevels/combo of the car.also if you give him the chip number I bet he could tell you what the chip was set up for and the previous combo.

Contact Eric at turbotweak and see how the chip was burned.could be a 93 octane chip tune or alky chip or race gas chip.his chip are adjustable so you or a tuner could do it.he usually burns the chip by fuel/target boost kevels/combo of the car.also if you give him the chip number I bet he could tell you what the chip was set up for and the previous combo.
Perfect. Thanks for the quick reply.

You either go to the track or do 3rd gear pulls. Using the scanmaster you first watch for knock. Any knock you get right out of it. Using the scanmaster you recall the O2 and adjust fueling in the chip. Timing can be adjusted too. If the chip was burned for the current mods, it should be very close. A powerlogger is a better tool for tuning because you can log everything and add wide band O2 and 2 other sensors like fuel pressure, oil pressure or any other sensor with a 5v reference.

Where did the the "dlr" get the car?
Any chance of talking w/ the po?
B4 beating on it, I'd spend $20+, and get an oil sample done. LOTS of good "forecast" info, in the reports.

Where did the the "dlr" get the car?
Any chance of talking w/ the po?
B4 beating on it, I'd spend $20+, and get an oil sample done. LOTS of good "forecast" info, in the reports.
I hope to track down the original owner but don’t think the dealer has their info. Didn’t think about testing the oil sample but great idea, I’ll add it to the list.
I would assume that the chip in the car could be de-coded to give a better idea as to what’s been done to the car? Some mods are obvious, but checking out internals are obviously more labor intensive.

If it's a turbo tweak chip Eric can give you details on the chip. He might have the mod list that it was burned for as well.

Post some interior pics (curious what boost "controller" it has). The chips usually have a label on the bottom side. It will have some info on it, and if its a TT chip Eric can get you the info. If its an Extender series chip, the part number on the label has all the details coded in it. All other types of chips are not "adjustable", and are basically obsolete.

Knock kills turbocharged engines in a hurry, something non-turbo guys are usually unaware of.

In any case, we're all here to help.

Bob

Some of the old chips are not good for todays fuels. They can have way too much timing for 91-93 octane.

Post some interior pics (curious what boost "controller" it has). The chips usually have a label on the bottom side. It will have some info on it, and if its a TT chip Eric can get you the info. If its an Extender series chip, the part number on the label has all the details coded in it. All other types of chips are not "adjustable", and are basically obsolete.

Knock kills turbocharged engines in a hurry, something non-turbo guys are usually unaware of.

In any case, we're all here to help.

Bob
http://bulletmotorsports.com/car/1986-buick-grand-national/#

This is the listing for the car with all of the photos. That is all of the information I know about what mods have been done until the car arrives. In the video about the car, he mentions a boost controller under the seat I believe, but no photos of it. I’ll invesitgate more about the chip once the car arrives.

what kinda of exsaust system is that ? The muffler is where the cat should be which looks funky to me .