TB halfshaft mod question.

Turbo6Smackdown

For those of you that have ported throttle bodies with the half shaft mod, does it decrease durability at all? With slamming shut of the throttle body blade and only half the shaft there now, does it start to pull the threads out over time?

no. Only half the shaft is threaded in the first place. It's only missing the half with the through holes.

Plus, the blade doesn't actually touch the housing bore when set correctly. If you feel it stick the IAC number should be through the roof.

Yes, only half the shaft is threaded anyways, but the other half sandwhiches the blade in place, placing much less stress on the individual screws themselves. Now all the stress is on the screws themselves. And what do you mean the blade should never touch the housing? How do you get a good seal then?

Setting the IAC properly actually opens the throttle slightly so it is never totally sealed. Do a search for setting IAC and TPS to learn the dance. It's an exercise in patience but they need to be coordinated or you'll have all kinds of issues.

All sorts of issues? Like what sort of issues? Can this be causing issues if the numbers are all correct on my scan master? I want to know if my car has these issues too.

th

Here's a throttle plate I removed from a Buick GN TB that's made out of 6061-T6 Aluminum. The car had a cam sensor problem that caused a backfire through the intake. The half shafted throttle shaft survived the backfire and was re-used.

Attachments

• Plate 001.JPG
    Plate 001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 173
BTW the picture of the bent aluminum throttle plate here is the reason you don't do a half shaft on a TB using the stronger brass throttle plate.

Setting the IAC properly actually opens the throttle slightly so it is never totally sealed. Do a search for setting IAC and TPS to learn the dance. It's an exercise in patience but they need to be coordinated or you'll have all kinds of issues.
this is such an overlooked issue and is very important in getting the car to run good