ta49

dice64

:confused: Has anyone went about 120 mph with this turbo?IF so what parts and boost did you use to get there with this turbo.I WOULD LIKE to max out this turbo before upgrading.:biggrin:

In a full weight, stock motored car, I would say doubtful. Not saying it can't be done. The stock motored cars i have seen break 120 had 61s or bigger and ran them at 30+ lbs for a lot of the run. I would say 115-117 is the norm at 25psi. I think the 49 might be out of breath at 27-28psi.

Ive ran 11.10@ 119 mph with a TE60 which isn't much more than a TA49. Motor is a stock rebuild with a bigger cam and stock freshened heads. I ran this at 25psi boost and with a precision intercooler. I think thats the end of the road as far as the turbo goes. My car is full weight with nothing done to lighten it up any.

There have been several cars to get in the 10's on a TA-49. The 1 that sticks out in my mind is the owner of TinMan Performance Products. He took his factory STOCK longblock into the 10's at over 123 mph! I believe it took very upper 20's in boost to do it, but it can be done. :)

dice64,yes it can be done!i went 119.48mph on the ta49 full weight and then some on a walkout launch.mildly ported stock heads,rockers,stock block.411 gears dynoteck trans 10.5 inch protorque 009's cut way back for alky from alkycontrol.i did not know others have gone into the tens on the 49.after i ran the car,looking at the timeslip,i though it was very possible that the car would do that if i pushed her!

fred vetter went 11.0 119.so i always stuck with the 49,and after playing with my car with the help of others,the car responded.combination is critical,and i believe my car benefits from several parts working together not just the 49.if i had a set of upgraded axles,i would be pressing towards 10's,but i know pushing has it's risks.i broke the imput shaft and the forward drum on a launch on a radial,with the sway bar in this past summer and off the footbrake 1lb launch,so the 49 can hit real hard it's an awesome little turbo!

fred vetter went 11.0 119.so i always stuck with the 49,and after playing with my car with the help of others,the car responded.combination is critical,and i believe my car benefits from several parts working together not just the 49.if i had a set of upgraded axles,i would be pressing towards 10's,but i know pushing has it's risks.i broke the imput shaft and the forward drum on a launch on a radial,with the sway bar in this past summer and off the footbrake 1lb launch,so the 49 can hit real hard it's an awesome little turbo!

Hopefully the new owner of Fred Vetter's car (SGRIM) will take that car into the 10's with the TA-49. The car deserves that 10 sec. slip. ;) They are very hard hitting turbo's that really pull the car out of the hole on low boost launches.

I went 11.52 @118 and 25psi of boost.I was hoping to get a 10.99 slip but it wasnt going to happen this past week at norwalk.To Hot!!!!!!

See signature. I run about 23-25psi boost and Cotton's front mount. I also run thru the Hooker exhaust and a fully functional Random Technology catalytic converter. Not quite 120, but if I keep working on the tune I think I may get there.

I went 118.31 with 3550 race weight, unopened motor, 23 psi of boost, big neck stock intercooler with a TA49 with a garrett housing.

A front mount and ported heads should easily go over 120 mph with a TA49.

underpressure any idea of the weight on these 10sec 120mph 49 cars?this thread definetly gets the itch going if you have a 49 car,makes you almost forget what you have broken or may break.

underpressure any idea of the weight on these 10sec 120mph 49 cars?this thread definetly gets the itch going if you have a 49 car,makes you almost forget what you have broken or may break.

I'm a big fan of the TA-49 & run 1 also. Here is some info on The "TinMan" car. It ran 123 mph at 3500 lbs with driver. Factory Stock Longblock with fresh valvesprings, TA-49, 55# injectors, RA 107 chip, CAS V2 front mount intercooler, THDP, 9/11 converter, 28 x 10.5 slicks. 8 lbs launch off the footbrake, 1.51 60', 10.93 /123.85 mph as reported in the May-June 05 GS-xtra. All factory options including the AC still functional.

underpressure,thats for the info.i'm pretty heavy at 3732 with driver so my car would most likely have to be lightened up a bit.these small turbo's rock!

:cool: Ok just keep it coming,let's give the 49 it's credit.My new plan of attack is this,60lph injectors-340 fuel pump-mildly ported heads-stock throttle body-stock location intercooler stretch-204-214 cam.Not sure on what housing I should use either a 63 or 82 housing.I do know what tranny I will be using THM200C with transbrake and a 2800 stall L/U.Any input.

:cool: Ok just keep it coming,let's give the 49 it's credit.My new plan of attack is this,60lph injectors-340 fuel pump-mildly ported heads-stock throttle body-stock location intercooler stretch-204-214 cam.Not sure on what housing I should use either a 63 or 82 housing.I do know what tranny I will be using THM200C with transbrake and a 2800 stall L/U.Any input.

I would stick with a .63 exhaust housing.

I believe that answer. Had stock block 49 turbo. Street chip, drove car 80 miles to NJ. Mild stock converter.36 pnd ijecters.With no brake start 20 pnds. 1st gear 18,17,17. full overweight car.GN power seats 12.18 @118mph.First time out. Oh yeah,had street slicks.And air bags.........12.18,12.20.12.21.