TA motor at the track

Originally posted by GrndNatnl
You guys got enough cam in that thing or what?!!? 224/224! :eek:

Awsome job with the TA motor guys, and that thing sounds incredible! I think that video just gave me a hard on. I'm saving that one. Cant wait to see some dragstrip videos and ET's!

224/224 isn't really a big cam when you consider it is a 260ci motor....

Track Video

Sorry to say that it will be a few weeks before we have any track video. The transmission let go during testing and we are in process of replacing the t350 with the t400 that we are freshening up, good news is that the torque convertor is back and we didn't hurt it. You have to like the guys down at Hughes Performance 2 day turn around on the inspection. Due to the BPG race next week we will be down for a couple of weeks. Keep checking back for updates, I promise to post race video when we get some that is worth putting up. Hope to have all the bugs worked out for Vegas in October and we are planning to bring the car.

Ahh, I guess you're right.

260ci would require much more cam. On a stock-blocker that would seem a bit much.

no responce on the tranny issue ..Im just wondering if something broke since I plan to put one in my ttype with my next motor :)

guys, it is 110* here in AZ....there won't be any racing until Sept at the earliest

the tranny is with Len in LV, when it is evaluated, you'll know what is up

So....

How's that TH-350 coming along?:) Is the TH-400 in yet? Just figured I'd break the silence.......

good GOD man..... can someone finally run a TA motor at the track.... we are dying to see what this mystery motor can handle.

Been out for a year and no one has video or anything of one finally running at the track.

Please let the temps dip in AZ for us so I don't lose it.......

* the above response is a little wacky due to a 3 day weekend and having to go back to work today..... :D

-GNX7

Originally posted by azgn
guys, it is 110* here in AZ....there won't be any racing until Sept at the earliest.............

It was "supposed" to be cooler here today but it still reached 106 deg.:(

We did get to the track early this AM to try for a clean run and obtain data. First try, a turbo hose blew off to void that run. Just before noon it was over 100 deg., but we went for another try.

This time we did make a pass with ~20 psi and an easy launch. It leveled out about 5500 RPM and shifted there. Ran an 11.3 and the log showed very rich [9:1 A/F] at higher RPM's.

For those out you that have never had the "opportunity" to run your car in 100+deg. temps, it is hard to describe sitting in the lanes in a fire jacket, track so hot it boils the VHT, how hot the car inside [and driver!] can get by the time you return to the pit. Not a lot of fun.

The program was set for much cooler air and higher boost which would account for the very rich condition. With temps increasing, and the track getting more slippery, we called it a day. Plan to have the car tuned and ready for the West Coast Nats in Las Vegas in early Oct. as weather permits.

Couple interesting data points were the coolant temp was 180 deg. after the second run and oil pressure was 45 psi at idle. Other turbo cars there were running hotter. The inlet air temp [at TB] was 134 deg. which is a lot less than a stage car running the pass before. We continue to be pleased with the performance of the Powerstroke intercooler.:)

Have a few "car" issues of getting the power to the ground, but will keep reporting as we progress.

Try to keep cool Nick!

And thanks for the up date, sounds like that car of yours is hella mean and will be putting down some serious numbers once dialed in and of course, some cooler weather would be nice;)

I'll be getting back into racing in about a year, had to take a break for the time being, also may be going back to Iraq in January from what the little birdy is telling me.

Have Fun!

Ray

Track outing tonight!

Ray, I know they need qualified people like you to help there, but be careful man, and stay out of harm's way, we want you back!:)

It was only 101 deg. today, so we decided to take advantage of the "cooler" temps as well as some suspension changes, and spend some "quality" time at our local track!

Good new is we had a 10.80/125 mph run at just over 20 psi. The 60's were mid-1.5's and worse, the turbo was not spooling well.

It appears to have a header/exhaust leak? Since our new headers are not available yet, stock headers were installed with the engine. It may be a couple months before ours are ready to market. A borrowed set of performance headers will be installed this week so we can up the boost to 25-26 psi.

Our goal with this car and engine should be clarified. This is a 10 sec. street-legal vehicle. We will not be doing a massive turbo or any exotic pieces to see how fast it will run. It is a "project car" to try out new ideas and parts. A couple 8-9 sec. guys are presently building high HP TA motors [over 1000 ] that will shortly be dyno and strip tested.

We want to show the reliability and feasibility of the TA motor for street and strip use. So far this has gone very well. All operating indicators like oil pressure, coolant temps, drivability and power have all been positive. This car with tuning and good track conditions is certainly capable of a 9 sec. run.

In the meantime we will be testing headers, intercoolers, alum radiators, valve covers, intake manifold and other products we now have under development for production in the near future.

In our opinion, the alum block has proven itself to perform as promised.

Site problem?

Nick..

getting following message when connecting to your web site link..

Welcome to vDeck
This is the default page for a vDeck hosting server. If you were expecting to see your website, come back tomorrow. If you still see this message then, send an email to support.

:rolleyes:

Oh yes, they were "supposed" to have this up 2 days ago.:(

I check it every few hours. Ever try to contact a REAL person at a hosting company?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update.

Nick, sounds like you're making some good progress with the car! With the boost turned up and some better 60's it should easily run some mid to low 10 second passes.... Hopefully you guys can get some video of it at the track and post it up (when your website decides to work)....