Ta-61 Broken Shaft ? ???????

lv2tikt

Was Wondering If Anyone Had Any Problems Or Sugestions What Coulda Caused The Shaft To Snap On My Ta-61?.....having Redone As We Speak And Dont Want It To Happen Again?....ta-61 Xp Pump Red Chips Dunno What Happened....hopefully Was Just Because Wasnt Set Up Yet I Couldnt Wait On My Guy Had To Get On It.....i Was Driving And Got Into It Lil Bit And Bang..heard Pop And Poof Smoooked.......thanks Joe

Boost leaks in the intake plumbing causing it to overspeed maybe? It would only have to be one loose clamp. A backfire maybe? Did you ever stall the car during a burnout? Maybe a piece of debris got into the center section of the turbo and blocked the flow of oil.

I read in the book "Turbochargers" about overspeeding a journal bearing turbo (non-ball bearing). The journal bearing can act like a centrifugal pump, and fling out all the oil from center section. It will create enough pumping action to overcome the engine's oil pressure. No oil flowing thru turbo.

That might of happened. Who knows? It's all about oil, or lack of. :eek:

no stalls or anything just it was a chilly day and car was only driven like 2miles and i opened it up and coughed once like a chug and then it went....also when we removed intake side the nut was off the shaft and the wheel was laying in there. maybe it worked loose causing it to crack?....looked like plenty mobil one thru turbo?....no markes from overheating on shaft at least not apparent....thanks joe

lv2tikt said:
no stalls or anything just it was a chilly day and car was only driven like 2miles and i opened it up and coughed once like a chug and then it went....also when we removed intake side the nut was off the shaft and the wheel was laying in there. maybe it worked loose causing it to crack?....looked like plenty mobil one thru turbo?....no markes from overheating on shaft at least not apparent....thanks joe
Its rare for a compressor nut to come loose without a backfire. How long was the turbo on the car for.

well thats the problem i purchased it used and was told was low mileage?....and the car sat for three years getting restored (body and int) and then got it out and was run several times for couple hundred miles...i believe i put about 700 miles on it since it was installed. but i also installed 009's reds pump adj reg and 100# springs and atr duals...but never has it completly set up and it did cough the day it happened but not causing the motor to stall or anything....several other occasions i noticed a largh cloud smoke when i got into it i just figuired that it was loading up due to too much fuel or other stuff?....i just dont want to pay to rebuild and then same thing happen again....thanks

lv2tikt said:
well thats the problem i purchased it used and was told was low mileage?....and the car sat for three years getting restored (body and int) and then got it out and was run several times for couple hundred miles...i believe i put about 700 miles on it since it was installed. but i also installed 009's reds pump adj reg and 100# springs and atr duals...but never has it completly set up and it did cough the day it happened but not causing the motor to stall or anything....several other occasions i noticed a largh cloud smoke when i got into it i just figuired that it was loading up due to too much fuel or other stuff?....i just dont want to pay to rebuild and then same thing happen again....thanks
Maybe the previous owner had a problem with it and decided to take it apart and didnt follow procedure when re-torqueing the compressor nut? Maybe it took some time to get loose enough to fall off.

ha i recieved the turbo back from limit today i open it and unable to move the wheel?.....wont budge gonna send it back in am i cant win.....looks awesome but seems to be outta wack or somthing i am amazed that they dont free spin before shipping?.....man i am really loosing my mind with this thing :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I bet it's fine. John puts alot of thick grease in the CHRA. Think of it as a lube for the first time you fire the turbo up. Slap it on. Mine were also very tight when new.

So, is it 100% locked up, or just tight?

lv2tikt said:
ha i recieved the turbo back from limit today i open it and unable to move the wheel?.....wont budge gonna send it back in am i cant win.....looks awesome but seems to be outta wack or somthing i am amazed that they dont free spin before shipping?.....man i am really loosing my mind with this thing :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

We rebuild those kind of units all the time, they are fairly simple units, so not much can be wrong with assembly. So either they tightened the compressor nut down well beyond torque spec, used the wrong bearings which is not likely since you would have to really push them in hard or the wheel is scraping the housing.

The turbo should free spin indeed, or at least take very little effort to spin it.

Jose

i spoke with them today unable to turn at all i sent it back they said unknown what happened to it but will get it turned around same day when it gets there ....just bummin caz sun is out and winter almost over.....and i am ready for that feeling....you guys know what i am talkin about......wehoooooooooooooooooooooo :D