Suspension ideas

davef

Still Learning
I am running with a stock suspension and original shocks. Feels like I am floating when on the highway. Until I hit a bump or crack in the road. I feel every crack in the road. I really want to tighten up the suspension, but I am no mechanic. I have read most posts and everyone seems to have a different agenda that they want to obtain.

I am looking for a straight forward approach to having a a nice smooth ride that can handle a fast turn every now and then.

This is my current stance.
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums...w&current=driversside.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

most likely your shocks are toast, a GOOD gas shock will go a long ways to tighten up your car.
increased swap bar size will also help, and a additional sway bar in the rear will help ALOT!
some may suggest stronger springs, but I feel thats a waste of money, unless you are road racing .
everyone has an opinion, and this is what I suggest to use your $$ best.

most likely your shocks are toast, a GOOD gas shock will go a long ways to tighten up your car.
increased swap bar size will also help, and a additional sway bar in the rear will help ALOT!
some may suggest stronger springs, but I feel thats a waste of money, unless you are road racing .
everyone has an opinion, and this is what I suggest to use your $$ best.

Thaks for the prompt feedback!!!

What is considered a "GOOD" gas shock?
Is there a preferred sway bar for the front and rear ?

Thanks again

If you want to go cheap on the front bar you can get one off a 3rd gen F body but it needs to be a 36mm one. As far as shocks, look at the better ones like bilstein or kyb. They're not cheap but they hold up pretty good.

Thanks again. For me it is less about "cheap" and more about right. Who makes the best sway bars?

gas shocks........... ?
KYB, Bilstein,Edelbrock...... do a search and see what most are using,
or what fits your budget. nowdays most gas shocks are pretty good.
I have bilstein on one of my cars, and edelbrock on another, and both are good,
sway bars........ larger than stock in front will help, and adding a rear bar will help ALOT!
check with some of the vendors here on the board.
I suggest you do not go overboard on improvements, as these cars do not have the best handling.
they can be made to handle good ,but ride quality suffers, and $$$ will add up fast.

One of our vendors should be able to help you here. Scot w. is GNS performance and he sells the DSE parts. He's got a full write up on the mods he's done to his car in the sticky's in this section.;)

Changed my worn out stock suspension with KYB shocks, ebach springs, hotchkis rear lower arms and rear atr sway bar. Car feels tighter no floating on freeway. My old suspension was so shot, when changing to these new lower springs - ride height was same.

First thing,

Add boxed rear control arms with Poly urethane bushings.(will stop the rear from walking at any speed)

I added front a-arm urethane bushings too ,they complement the rear but mainly because you'll melt the upper passenger side rear rubber bushing all the time (right next to your down pipe)

Add your choice springs an shocks (i went stock height rate springs an AK series Bilisteins my first trip)

Then add front an rear Sway-bar kit you like (I have 28mm rear 22mm front adjustable ATR's stuff)

Last, you'll want to add all the frame bracing kit's (front an rear) you can find, It'll Save Your Body from flexing

After you install all above you'll have a go-cart,If you lower it alittle an add autocrosss tire,You'll be unstoppable...heh..(Then comes the brakes upgrades!!!!)

Enjoy!

gas shocks........... ?
KYB, Bilstein,Edelbrock...... do a search and see what most are using,
or what fits your budget. nowdays most gas shocks are pretty good.
I have bilstein on one of my cars, and edelbrock on another, and both are good,
sway bars........ larger than stock in front will help, and adding a rear bar will help ALOT!
check with some of the vendors here on the board.
I suggest you do not go overboard on improvements, as these cars do not have the best handling.

Any need to change springs at all?
they can be made to handle good ,but ride quality suffers, and $$$ will add up fast.

Helwig rear sway bar is a really nice piece. cheap and effective. the stock sway bar doesn't really do much.

Best thing you can do to get a nice ride back IMO are body mounts. I did springs, Bilsteins, F-body bar, all the frame braces, rear arms, etc and the car was still not how I wanted it until I did the mounts. They make a world of difference if yours are worn.

shocks are the easiest thing to replace.. a decent set of Monroe Sensatrack or Gabriel shocks can be bought pretty much anywhere and will get you back to the oem ride and handling as long as everything else (tie rods, ball joints, bushings, etc.) are in good shape.

shocks are the easiest thing to replace.. a decent set of Monroe Sensatrack or Gabriel shocks can be bought pretty much anywhere and will get you back to the oem ride and handling as long as everything else (tie rods, ball joints, bushings, etc.) are in good shape.

So Monroe shocks are good to get back to original ride?

I have decided to go with the KYBs. If someone could send me the correct model number it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again to everyone for their inputs!! Very valuable.:)

novaderrik said:

Switched to the KYBs today. Wow!!! What a difference. Thanks to everyone for their advice.