Feel like a boat! Suspension wise

TurboSmart

My 87, stock suspension, feels like a boat on waves...over dips and bumps on the road

I replaced the shocks for heavy duty ones (have an extra spring, like coil overs) but still rocks all over..

I was thinking on replacing the springs, dunno what type though (progressive or regular)...not looking to lower or raise it..

Any pointers?

Bilstein shocks provide an nice sport ride.
Speed rated tires (above an "H" rating) have stiffer sidewalls that cut down on the floaty feeling.
New body bushings (including the missing GNX bushings) will give you a stiffer ride.
Replacement poly swaybar bushings (not applicable for rear) will tighten up the side to side body roll a bit.

The stock coil springs have sagged about an inch over the years so installing the UMI Performance 1" lowering springs would equal the same ride height and be considerably stiffer.

Just a few ideas on where to start.

www.kirbanperformance.com has all but the coil springs.
www.gnsperformance.com has the springs.

Last edited:
My 87, stock suspension, feels like a boat on waves...over dips and bumps on the road

I replaced the shocks for heavy duty ones (have an extra spring, like coil overs) but still rocks all over..

I was thinking on replacing the springs, dunno what type though (progressive or regular)...not looking to lower or raise it..

Any pointers?

The float is from the shocks. The Bilsteins will lock it down. No need to replace the springs unless the car is visibly sagging or you want to change the ride height.

What's wrong with the boat ride? Back in my day that was what pretty much all big cars rode like. My 1960 Dodge Dart Seneca was always a nice, smooth, floaty ride. The bad thing with that car was turning the steering wheel about 90degrees before the front wheels started to turn. Oh, and the metal to metal sound from all four brakes. That was an awesome ride though!

New poly body bushings all around will take all that boat feeling out of the car. It will ride like a new car when done. Even new stock bushings will help alot. Kirbans has both along with several other venders.
H

The float is from the shocks. The Bilsteins will lock it down. No need to replace the springs unless the car is visibly sagging or you want to change the ride height.

Even with new shocks??
The shock have no more than 100 miles

I replaced the body bushings..never found the exact location for the gnx bushing

Even with new shocks??
The shock have no more than 100 miles

I replaced the body bushings..never found the exact location for the gnx bushing

Which shocks? The regular Monroe sensatrac or KYBs are damped close to the OEM shocks. The Bilsteins are much more firm.

Gabriel heavy duty with springs

Yeah, those are going to be floaty. The "heavy duty" on the Gabriels doesn't mean stiffer valving, it means slightly better parts on the inside so they last longer.

Was hoping for a stiffer shock by using the springs...
Damn

It seems the shocks with the extra springs have been used over the years to add cargo capacity, like if you were towing your GN race car with your regular GN.

Which shocks? The regular Monroe sensatrac or KYBs are damped close to the OEM shocks. The Bilsteins are much more firm.

The Bilstiens will firm it up quite a bit.
I had 255/50VR16's front and rear when I went with the Bilstiens.
Even with ATR performance stock height springs (approx. 540-550 lbs/in) in the front I always felt the front of the car didn't follow the dips in the road as closely as the rear.

I mentioned the UMI springs as they are 600 lbs/ in (front) and 130 lbs/ in (rear) and do a better job. imo
Just for reference the stock Turbo Regal springs are 420 lbs/ in (front) and 122 lbs/ in (rear).

I know it stinks to shell out more money for more new shocks, but the Bilsteins are the best way to stop the float.

Start with the shocks and go from there.

Bilsteins front and rear
Front shorter springs but stock rate.
Rear OE worn out springs still in place
Rear hellwig sway bar on the soft setting.
Car feels GREAT nice and smooth (as a full weight g body can be) and handles really really really good.

My stock '87 was the same way when I bought her. As mentioned previously, start with a good gas shock. I used kyb's and are very happy with the ride.
Does your car have the original body bushings? If so, have 'em changed. I used the stock type from kirban's. Helped out even more. You have any frame bracing? The tin man gnx brace, umi shock tower brace and the Sc&c front triangle brace helped even more. Nice tight ride with no squeaks or rattles. My $.02 worth.

Simple, RideTech's "Handling Quality HQ " Single adjustable stock replacement shocks! You can set it for as Soft or Stiff as you want. $185.00 ea. Also comes with a LIFETIME Warranty..

*** Last shocks you will ever Buy!

Available through us With FREE SHIPPING!

Eye-Stud_HQ_Single149072183358da9c29dc73b_tsg5-sg.jpg