straight water vs Methanol or a Methanol mixture

1badTTA.... LOL LOL LOL :D :D

That was a good one. But I also think the reason propane makes more power then water is cause it is soo much easier to burn a gas then a liquid. There is more surface area. Now add to that gas a mixture of small droplets, like gasoline normally is when it gets in the chamber, and the droplets ignite easier cause the flame front is easier to start. Hence, more power. Does that make sense? This is like school to me... I just added two gallons of water to my 4 gallon cell in hopes of seeing a difference either way but of course I am only using my butt dyno so it doesn't matter technically speaking.

To think, I jumped on here yesterday looking specifically for a thread about this and here it is... I love this board!

and test as you might, none of you have the testing facilities, dollars, or resources that the primary player in the field, Aquamist, has.

I think that there are alot more people that do have the access to the facilities, dollars, and resources that are needed to do testing on this subject. It is called a racetrack and a datalogger, and I have access to both. Aquamist can test their stuff in a lab all day long and spend as much money as they want doing so, but until they take it to the track, I won't believe a word they say. We are trying to get the most performance out of our cars, not our workbenches, and therefore a car on a dyno is the absolute minimum required to see what works. The track is even better since I personally hate dyno queens and the dyno isn't perfectly duplicating what happens in real life like the track does.

I am all for trying new things, and if they work, great. But if they don't, well some more experimenting is required. That is why I chose to use propane on my car. I have already gone beyond the original kit to get better performance out of it because on my car, it didn't work as well as it did on others. Nothing anybody sells will be perfectly tailored for every car out there and it is up to the users to experiment with it to gain the best overall performance out of it. So if water works better on your car, use it, but until you have tried all the different alcohols and mixtures on your own car, you won't know what works best for YOU.

Someone did state that there may be a difference between turbo cars and supercharged cars due to keeping EGT's in the correct range. I am sure that has an effect and would explain alot as to why your best results are different than most of us turbo guys. Did Aquamist do any "research" on this? Probably not. Did it show up in the feild with real users and real cars, Yup. So if it really is an issue, it was dealt with by the turbo guys just running more alky and less water. That may not produce the most power in the supercharged engines though so it isn't necessarily the best for everybody. We all need to test it ourselves to really know. Don't take my word for it either, get to testing:D :D :D

>>I won't believe a word they say. We are trying to get the most performance out of our cars, not our workbenches<<

Im sorry, but thats just paranoid crap. My contact at Aquamist is one of the chief engineers on the project, and he knows his stuff, believe me. If you think youre raw testing methods can hold a candle to the kinds of professional approaches these guys take, your in la la land or something. Childish arrogance, if you ask me.

>>I am sure that has an effect and would explain alot as to why your best results are different than most of us turbo guys<<

Well, its not just you turbo guys whos results are going against the grain; its you Buick turbo guys. Most folks over on the DSM digest are also finding that a mixture of at most 50% methanol is the way to make the most power. Matter of fact, you turbobuick guys are the only semi organized group Ive come across that has found that 100% alky is the way to make most power. So its not just turbos vs superchargers. And to go even a step further, I dont even think you guys are totally unanimous in your findings. But certainly, proportionately, there seem to be more of the pro 100% alky crowd here than anywhere else Ive seen.

Perhaps its an obd1 vs obdii issue, or perhaps its something peculiar to your buick setups. Believe me, I am NOT denegrating your findings, or your attempts. What I am trying to play down are some of the insinuations Ive seen that whats good for the turbo buicks must be good for everybody else. Clearly thats not the case.

I realize this is a turbo buicks NG, and more power to ya that youve got an active forum with many participants. Thats why you occasionally draw from outside your ranks. Its another datapoint among those injecting some kind of substance beyond gasoline. Thats why we're interested. Its just wrong, though, to assume youve found some kind of holy grail; some great secret that we've all, outside your ranks, overlooked. Thats not it at all. What you have works for your setups; it doesnt work for ours :)

>>It is called a racetrack and a datalogger, and I have access to both<<

Well, thats another problem... You guys can measure knock counts. We have a much harder time doing so. The OBDII scan tool will show you things like timing advance, which will get retarded if the stock knock sensor pick up anyting, so by inference, we can monitor knock by monitoring timing. It will also show you Intake Air Temperature, closed loop or open loop, etc. It Wont show you AFR. For that we need a wide band o2 sensor, which in this market still costs over 500 bucks to implement, so you dont find too many guys owning them. Thats why they use the dyno; because for 50 bucks and an hour, you can monitor afr, and power. Ive run anywhere from 10% alky up to 50% alky, and frankly, I havent seen a difference. IT all works way better than no injection at all though. Thats very clear. Whatever the difference is on our cars, I think the difference between 10% and 50% is very very small. Theres another factor to consider. Many of us SC guys have kits that did NOT include an intercooler. Hence our winjection is our only means of cooling the intake charge, let alone the effect of knock suppression in the chamber. Since I dont think theres much argument that water is known to be the better coolant in these condidtions, perhaps thats why water works better for alot of guys. Since you guys are well intercooled, then cooling isnt your primary concern. Hence, the alky is providing a different benefit for you guys.

Good points Boostm3, the intercooler does play a large factor. I still don't agree with you on which is better, an Imagineer or actual real world testing. I have worked with alot of engineers and can honestly tell you that they don't know everything.

As for the monitoring and datalogging, we are very lucky to have the means available for a reasonable price. For $250 plus an old laptop we can see everything the computer sees at 18 frames per second. Works great for testing on the street also as it has a performance calculator built in. I know I love my Direct Scan and use it for all my tuning. Also, our cars don't use OBD anything.

As you pointed out already, you are right that what works best on a Turbo Buick probably won't be the best for every other car. Thats why I say real world testing is the best way to see what really works. Ask your Imagineer friend at aquamist why alcohol generaly works better on the TR's than any other car. I will bet he won't be able to tell you and unless he has an LC2 (Turbo Buick) engine sitting in his lab, he will never know.

boostM3,

Have you ever tried injecting 100% methanol? You may have said it in one of your earlier posts and if so I apologize, but this may answer the question of which makes more power. Unless you can convince aquamist to test 100% methanol on a turbo car or even better a turbo buick, this debate may end in a stalemate...:(

You do agree though that a 50% mix is better then 100% water? I think because the 50% mix is adding a little fuel to the fire. I would be curious about the DSM guys running 100% methanol also as they have turbos and so exhaust temp would be a concern to them.

Aquamist......... are you listening?

>> I still don't agree with you on which is better, an Imagineer or actual real world testing. I have worked with alot of engineers and can honestly tell you that they don't know everything.<<

Absolutely. they dont know everything :) But some know more than others :D Its a testament to the test suite, the degree to which it accurately measures real world conditions.

>> Ask your Imagineer friend at aquamist why alcohol generaly works better on the TR's than any other car. I<<

Yea, Bad, believe me, Ive asked him. And youre right. He has no explanation for it. In his mind, Fueling is performed by a well sorted out fuel system, and cooling and knock suppression are better handled with water due to its properties. So in his mind, Alcohol just shouldnt work. :confused: .

Lastly, it would seem to me that both water and alky will work, but due to different reasons. Water works becuase of its superior charge air cooling and chamber knock suppression. Alky works because of the increase in effective octane it provides when mixed with air/fuel in the intake manifold. Both will lead to knock suppression, but approach it through very different avenues.

Talk about adding fuel to the fire, ask the imagineer why propane works to reduce detonation. It isn't because it cools the charge, because it is coming in as a gas, not a liquid. It does have an octane rating of around 108, but with the ratio of propane to 91 octane gasoline it would only raise the octane less than 1 point.

Just figured I would throw that one out there. I would guess the answer to why propane works, is pretty close to why alcohol works better than straight water for most people in the TR's.

>>Have you ever tried injecting 100% methanol? You may have said it in one of your earlier posts and if so I apologize, but this may answer the question of which makes more power. Unless you can convince aquamist to test 100% methanol on a turbo car or even better a turbo buick, this debate may end in a stalemate...<<

Crazi, this is the crux of the problem. The Aquamist pumps, which are really state of the art, are NOT made to function with anything stronger than 50% methanol. The issue is some of the viton seals and valves, which will swell under the influence of a stronger cocktail.

>>You do agree though that a 50% mix is better then 100% water? <<

Im not sure. From a strictly cooling and knock suppression standpoint, from what Ive learned from the aquamist engineers, all water is the best. Here are some excerpts of what hes written me in the past you might find interesting:

"There are very few people take the trouble to looking into how to make the
best out of the water injection systems in their car, regardless what system
they install - 1s , 2c or someone else's.

As you have the system1s, I will try to help you to get the best out of the
system. As you are well aware that 1s is a fix rate system, the only two
variables are the triggering point and the nozzle size.

The engine is also a fixed output system: boost pressure, engine capacity
and predictable volumetric efficiency curve - resulting power and torque
output is fixed with a only few percent variation.

So, I will try to match your particular engine to the 1s and see if we can
get some good results without add any more cost and components to the 1s.

First of all the triggering point: unless it is absolutely necessary to
cooling the inlet at all cost, more water will cool the inlet air and at the
same time also cooling the combustion chamber and resulting in power loss
hence bogging down or in your case.

You must balance the two. Below 5psi, There may not be enough volume in the
inlet tract for the water to evaporate due to low ambient air and high
humidity. In other words the air/water mixture has reaches saturation
point - no more inlet cooling effect by water is expected. Droplet size
within the inlet tract will remain constant and the latent heat capacity
remains constant until the droplet goes into the combustion chamber.

Let the journey of the droplet continue - as soon as the inlet valve open,
prior to the expiration of hot exhaust gas, the surface of all components
inside the combustion chamber is very hot until the natural conduction
process takes place. This applies to the piston top, cylinder wall, exhaust
valves m inlet valve... Depending on the material of the components, which
is mainly comprised on aluminium and stainless steel - stainless steel is a
very slow conductor of heat compared to aluminium. Cast iron block is some
where in between.

The reason for mentioning the above journey of the water droplet, it is
often ignored or missed. The action on water plays a VERY important part due
to the speed it cools heated components and allow minimum heating up of
inlet air and as a result, air is denser and allow better cylinder filling
before compression, hence improving the volumetric efficiency of the engine
greatly.

Lets go back to your triggering point, as you are not getting any detonation
and no sign of high EGT, water may not be necessary perhaps may be some
where beyond 5 psi is better where you get better fuller cylinder filling
and more charge air being compressed before ignition.

At this point below 5 psi, you can either turn off the water of advance your
ignition timing - reclaiming some combustion pressure due to early ignition.
See attached.

The rest of the journey of the same water droplet is quite simply, as the
piston is travelling toward the TDC, the surrounding pressure and
temperature increases and the size of the drop decreases with time,
distributed amongst the air and fuel droplets - pretty evenly.

As the charge is ignited by the spark, the tiny water drop act as a buffer
zone to regulate the flame front temperature across the entire burnt
process - from the centre outwards, as peak temperature and pressure is
under control, there is little chance of the onset of detonation.

Lastly, after the combustion, the water drop will now become a single H2O
molecule as its internal energy (enthalpy + entropy) is fully spent. It is
worth noting that at the same time as the water in absorbing heat (power),
it also increase cylinder pressure : Liquid water expands approximately 2
million times in volume when it turn into steam. (Specific volume of water
is 1.002 x 10^-3 m3/kg and specific volume of steam is 206.2 m3/kg). Hence
you are not loosing that munch power nor gaining power, but you have an
engine without any unnecessary stresses at the same power level compared to
another engine without water injection.

I hope I have answered you questions (indirectly), as it is not fair for me
to ask you to do something to your engine without explaining the reason
behind it. I am not familiar with the theory behind alcohol injection, you
have already a source of fuel from your injectors and direct in-cylinder
cooling with water injection - water has INFINITE octane rating - it does
not burnt at all and auto-ignite."

Some other excerpts you might find intesting:

"...Lets come to the more interesting topic of evaporation between water and alcohol. Alcohol has a lower boiling point than water but it doesn't mean that it has better cooling property than water. All liquid evaporates above freezing point and doesn't need to wait until it reaches boiling point otherwise rainy water will never dry. Remembered your chemistry experiments?
distilling alcohol from water and alcohol uses this precise method.

Alcohol may evaporate earlier but due to the latent heat capacity, it requires twice as much to absorb the same amount of heat. If both liquid is allow to evaporate-given the same amount of surface area and mass (well atomised), water will be more effective or dropping the inlet air temperature more."

and:

"... think I have explained why alcohol will evaporate quicker but didn't directly answer the skin effect. Alcohol evaporates sooner so it just feels cooler to the nerve endings but water will have the same cooling effect but takes longer.

If you want a more sustain cooling effect water is better. If you can atomise the water fine enough, it will evaporate just as quick, there is the reason why atomised water has a better cooling effect than a single jet of water coming out of a tube - almost have little of no cooling effect....Water is a far better anti-dotonate than alcohol and it does not alter the a/f ratio.
We have had many discussion on this in the past and I don't think I want to repeat it again...."

I think this pretty much exhausts the information I have to present from aquamist. Again, to them, it boils down to this: A properly sorted out fuel system doesnt need the enrichment that an all alcohol system will provide. And, since they feel they can prove scientifically that water is the better anti detonant, they have little use for the all alcohol approach. Because of this position that they are ensconsed in, their pumps, while superior technologically, are nevertheless designed to run more than 50% methanol. If you do it, the viton and nitrile seals and valves will swell, until you go back down to below 50% meth. I think I read where more than 25% of their business comes from world rally teams, in which they have a big position, and most of those guys are using mostly water to best effect. Being the preeminent water injection resource in the world, its pretty hard to dismiss some of their findings..... The fact that many of you guys have findings to the contrary, not withstanding :D

>>Talk about adding fuel to the fire, ask the imagineer why propane works to reduce detonation. It isn't because it cools the charge, because it is coming in as a gas, not a liquid. It does have an octane rating of around 108, but with the ratio of propane to 91 octane gasoline it would only raise the octane less than 1 point.<<

1Bad, Doesnt nitrous, in a dry system, also come in as a gas? Is it possible that propane gas is very cold on release? Does it release gobs of O2 like Nitrous? I dont know, but if youve found it to work, there Must be a reason. I havent really heard of anyone else using it, so I think youre going to have to edyercate us about it, and why it works!

The Twist

Ok..water is not better than race gas. Lets start this and get this part taken care off..I hope we can all agree on this.

Now.. Methanol is better than regular gas octane wise. I hope this is perty clear.

So if you were to run on straight methanol, no 93 .. like the race cars do.. you will probably be able to run as much boost on straight methanol as you would race gas.

So the addition of octane supplementation with Methanol has two points of interest, one is that its effective octane is way higher..secondly is the cooling effects.

So if you cut down the injectors and spray methanol more aggressively..you reach both goals..rite?

Since the aquamist pumps are not fully methanol compatible..its no wonder they advise against it. This one is easy. So if it truly works or doesnt..no matter..their pumps cant handle it.

>>Since the aquamist pumps are not fully methanol compatible..its no wonder they advise against it. This one is easy. So if it truly works or doesnt..no matter..their pumps cant handle it.<<

Except I think you have that backwards. They designed the pump for only 50% methanol, and not as an all Alcohol pump, because 1) they didnt see the overall market for it, and 2) they and their customers believe water achieves better results :)

Clearly, some folks perform better with 100 methanol, some with a mixture, and some with all water (except in below freezing whether, when a 20% methanol mixture should do the trick). However those users truely believe, through their testing, that for every percentage of water they are replacing with alky, they are losing that much detonation suppression!

First off, I don't know how you can argue with real world results.

Second, there are some things that are being assumed that just aren't true. Water does not cool the intake charge as well as alky or methanol. My dad's GN has a charge temp guage. We experimented for a few months everytime we took the car out. On a run we would see charge air temps ~120 degrees with no spray. With a 70% akly mix the temps dropped off the guage. It only goes down to 70 degrees and it was as low as it could go. On straight water, I wish I could remember the temp but it was far from pegging the guage. There really is no arguing with what the guage said. Plain and simple alky cools the air better. It evaporates quicker than water, cooling the charge quicker. I think water does it's thing in the combustion chamber more so than in the air stream.

I don't know what the octane of methanol is but I know there's a dragster around here with 14.5:1 compression running ~32psi on methanol. I'd say it's pretty high. In the chamber water has no choice but to take power away at the same boost and timing since it doesn't burn and just takes up space. Methanol is a fuel and while maybe it could take a small amount of power away it still burns. You argue that it takes over twice the Methanol to get the same energy as gasoline but how much energy does water have? It's simple that if you can run the same boost on water and alky that alky will make more power. In the real world a mix or straight alky allows a big boost increase over straight water.

I will say that my dad's car could run an extra psi or two with a small amount of water mixed in. Take that how you want it. My main point is that alky cools the charge better than water as measured by a guage on a real car running a real 1/4 mile.

on that note:

i was helping derek(anarkey)mess with his methanol(100%)injection in his mk4 supra last year,it's very trick,ramps up according to injector pulse.his aftermarket ecu also has charge air data logging.

on an average night(~70º)on pump gas he was pushing ~30# of boost and we were seeing charge air temps in the mid-30º's:eek: .

sold me on methanol right then and there.:cool:

Gees, all these posts just to figure out what's better. Some "engineer" at aquamist selling his overpriced equipment saying that he knows what's best. :rolleyes: All I have to do is make a couple blasts down the street or at the track to know the answer and the answer was passed on about 45 posts ago. :p

No no no RedRegalT.. if anyone should see this its you.. since there is nothing cheaper than water to run.

Alcohol costs money..water doesnt.. some want to save money.. this I can see..

Its clear some will never listen.

Hey Waterboy,,duhhhhhh..high quality H2O ;)

So like I said, this thread will end in a stalemate as aquamist can't test a 100% methanol spray.

Also boostm3, the aqaumist engineers are supporting my theory of why alcohol makes more power. It evaporates faster turning into a gas and increasing the speed of the flame front vs buffering it which is what the nitrous in nitrous oxide does. Water takes away heat (power) from the combustion process vs alcohol which has half the power of gasoline.

So simply put, Alcohol evaporates faster which cools better if you inject more alcohol and provides half the energy of gasoline which, if you are inject the 1/5x example I gave earlier means that you are essentially putting the same amount of fueling into the car but just taking 1/10 of the gasoline out and adding twice that with methanol to arrive at the same amount of fuel. Now since methanol also has a higher octane, cools the mixture better then water (you would inject more to get the same effect), and burns with the gas vs taking away some power, I think I just made a big mistake dumping two gallons of water into my alky tank. :(

If nothing else, you have found a board where you have numerous examples of 100% methanol making more power and in alot of cases being easier to tune then 100% water. I only wish you could test it in your car despite what aquamist says and find out on your own. Yes methanol will detonate eventually but we aren't at the point to see that.

Originally posted by boostm3
Alcohol may evaporate earlier but due to the latent heat capacity, it requires twice as much to absorb the same amount of heat. If both liquid is allow to evaporate-given the same amount of surface area and mass (well atomised), water will be more effective or dropping the inlet air temperature more."

I meant to quote this in the last post...

>>?First off, I don't know how you can argue with real world results<<

For the last time, Im not arguing with your results. IM just saying that your results arent typical. Other guys with other cars have tried methanol, and have found they do better with a mixture. If I allow you your results, then you should really allow that your results arent universal.

>>So like I said, this thread will end in a stalemate as aquamist can't test a 100% methanol spray<<

Thats not true either. Over time, an aquammist pump will swell the seals in pure methanol. Thats a far cry from saying it cant be tested with methanol. You can probably run a tank full or two of pure methanol through the pump before performance begins to degrade from the swelling seals. BTW, remove the alky, and put back a 50/50 mix or less, and the seals shrink back to their normal state.

>>So simply put, Alcohol evaporates faster<<

I think the point was that alky evaporates faster, but because water takes longer to change state, when it does, it takes more heat with it.

Lastly, as for the silly notion that Aquamist is promoting water because their pumps cant run on pure alky, thats putting the car wayy before the horse. Fact is, if testing showed them that in most cases, pure alky performed better than a mixture, theyd simply change the few viton seals inside the pump, and bingo, theyd have an alky version. Do you think they have some kind of vested interest in propagating some kind of myth that isnt true?

Thats just paranoid idiocy. They go where the evidence, and customer demand dictates. As I said, all the rally teams which use aquamist equipment use water, because it cools them better, not because they have to!

i keep hearing people talking about spraying methanol instead of alcohol...right now i spray 100% denatured alcohol with a dual nozzle smc kit and i've got the boost up as high as 25-26 psi with a te-44 and stock motor stock intercooler...with no knock...

if i go any higher i start knocking...usually higher than 25 psi...will methanol allow me to run higher boost just a little bit? i heard methanol is very corrosive and should not be used...i assume i can't use it in a stock SMC setup right? i would love to use methanol if i can run higher boost on it than alcohol and it even costs way less...

Originally posted by WFO
on that note:eek:n an average night(~70º)on pump gas he was pushing ~30# of boost and we were seeing charge air temps in the mid-30º's:eek: .

Did I read that right?

30 degrees below zero?

>>30 degrees below zero?<<

No, of course not. I think hes saying they saw temps in the mid 30s, which is amazing enough, considering it was in the mid 70s out, and he was using 30 lb boost. truely amazing.