STOLEN GNX FOUND- Read about the Immaculate Recovery

congrats bro.....I'd be buying them cops donuts every other week for a month....:D

Awesome news!

Glad you got to recover before anything really bad took place.

Don't be afraid to drive it. Just take the appropriate steps so this never happens again.

Ziggy, they must have barely had a chance to look at your GNX if it still had the Valentine radar detector in it!
If you have time, could you share how they got your car with a screw driver - maybe save some of us the aggrivation.
You have your car for driving enjoyment; don't get too protective to drive places or what is the point of having it.
Just be ready for Motorhead Weekend - you too Blown & Injected - consider this ample notice.
--GLENN

Originally posted by Vector
If you have time, could you share how they got your car with a screw driver - maybe save some of us the aggrivation.
--GLENN

It's really very easy IF you've bypassed electric/electronic antitheft measures. In a nutshell, if you pry open the column using a screwdriver jammed into the hole where the turn signal lever is you can very easily start the car. It takes less than 3 seconds. That's why the Steadfast collar is such a good idea - it protects that weak spot.

It's also really easy to start the car without breaking the column if you drop the column a bit, but that requires more time than a theif typically has.

I'm curious about how the Extender (and I would assume therefore Thrasher) anti-theft was defeated so easily (assuming it wasn't just a chip swap).

Jim

I would love to hear what the recommended ways of protecting and keeping our cars is? Since you've had experience and they told you what works well, what doesn't, I think that would be helpful to know. As someone stated before, the Steadfast really seems to be a good item.

Also, we're all in jubilation over the return of your car and it sounds like you are very grateful for the work the police did. IMO, this thread should reflect our grattitude towards the police who obviously worked very hard to make this a happy ending.

Perhaps print it out after 300 posts :) and say to them, thanks. On top of the donut donation. :D

THATS GREAT!~ better to get it back shy some peices instead of not getting it back at all...
:D :D :D

Mike!!!

Kevin here told me about this thread! very very cool! You are one lucky SOB right now.

Where did they find it? What details if any did they learn?

Mike, I surfed into your website this morning and saw the awesome news! :cool: I'm very glad you got the car back, and it's an easy repair. Kudos to the Newark Auto Theft Squad for realizing what a special car the GNX is.

After you install your custom anti-theft stuff, don't be afraid to drive it. What's the point of having a car if you're not going to use it? IMO, it's a sin to let a beautiful car become a garage ornament with 1700 miles. Check my sig.

Great

It makes me feel good that there are still good outcomes to problems like this and it shows that it ain't a insurance thing. Hope they do to them like they do to people in the middle east who steal!:eek:

Steve

Thanks for the good sentiment from all!!

steve- what makes the brake thingie unusual is that he drove like 20 miles of highway and local. I was trying to imagine what it would be like on the way home.

Rich- it seems they all end up in Newark...my wife says the impound yard is in on it ;) they whacked me for $165 storage. I didn't mind under the circumstances besides they need to buy lots of dog food :D

mydesigner, troGNman and others- I will still enjoy it but be more aware of what can happen. My wife will not let me take it to work anymore ;) but right now it's probably the safest place. I think they read the riot act to the guards...even the police have been doing drive throughs

Geoff- "Bring a pitcher of Papaya dressing every 7 minutes until someone passes out, then..." :D

Keith- definitely some good ideas there in fact I think you said too much ;)

Vector- I'll show you my screwdriver key when I see you

gn85- I'm sure they'll appreciate the donuts ;) but I'm looking into a more meaningful donation. Keith hit on what the PD was telling me. Other than that, my new sound-off "THINK LIKE A THIEF, NOT LIKE AN OWNER"!

Mike [:)

Originally posted by mkazigian
gn85- I'm sure they'll appreciate the donuts ;) but I'm looking into a more meaningful donation. Keith hit on what the PD was telling me. Other than that, my new sound-off "THINK LIKE A THIEF, NOT LIKE AN OWNER"!

Ive been following this thread and Im glad the story had a happy ending.. That being said I agree that some form of thank you bisides donuts would prolly be in order. Even though I dont see eye to eye with the local law enforcement here at times doesnt mean that law enforcement in general doesnt deserve an "atta boy" from time to time.

Lastly, my grandfather told me something years ago that I keep in mind at all times when it comes to securing possessions. He said "a locked door will only keep an honest man out" so IMO when they told you to "think like a thief not an owner" are words to live by.

Again, congrats on getting the GNX back and I hope you prosecute the dirt bags to the FULLEST extent of the law.

Quite a bit of truth in that last post about keeping the honest honest. I used to have an 86 Camaro with T-tops, and since the tops were such a pain to put on and off, I'd sometimes leave them off, put the windows up, pull the faceplate and radar detector and lock them away, and then lock the doors. Granted, all anybody would have to do to break in was to reach over the window and unlock it, but I figured that then they'd have to acknowledge that they were a thief to steal my 5 dollar sunglasses or ashtray o' change. That was only a 6 banger (badass in our cars, not so much in the 2.8 n/a version) so I wasn't overly concerned with losing the car.

Not a tactic I take very much with the T, though.

Again, congrats on getting her back, and kudos to the cops. Good and bad in every profession, and a lot of that depends on if you catch people on a good or bad day. Buy them some coffee and donuts.

Mike, very glad to hear you got your car back! I've been lucky so far not to have a car stolen but then again I never drive them except to race at the track. When I think back that I use to drive my GN when it was new to Philadelphia every weekend to visit a girl I was dating at the time. Man someone upstairs was really smiling at me then cause it could have been stolen so easily. It was parked on the street with a car cover on it the entire weekend. Basically a big sign saying, "hey, there is something under hear that the owner really cares about, why not steal me!"

Congrats again man, it's good to hear that you got the car back!!

Get some collector insurance on the car, save yourself some money, be able to insure it to it’s true value and then you won’t be able to drive it to work or leave it in shopping malls. Take away the temptation to take it places where it might be stolen!

Myclone- I like your fathers saying, I may have to use that one ;)

Art- thanks Buddy! You bring up a good point about that collector policy. I went through great pains to get an agreed-value policy with no limitations...but that might be the only way for me to resist the urge :D

Hey Mike,

I live in Waldwick, work in Ramsey, and drive route 17 almost every single day through your area. What's this cop's name, just in case I run into him?

Thanks!
Matt

Demon- the undercover sergeant was in Newark and I don't think you will run into him unless you are involved in chopping stolen cars :D