stock with alky...how fast can you go?

Dewey

Resident Smartass
OK, so if a fella has a well broken in GN, let's say 100k miles but well cared for, and drop dead stock and you were to throw alky at it and a good tune, how fast could he go?:D

stock as in no mods whatsoever , as shipped frm gm with stock fuel system , 215/65 tires ,intake setup , exhaust?

you will need a way to adjust the boost up like at minimum an adjustable bleeder or a spring added to wastegate arm

the stock chip/injectors will probably do fine with alky and about 21psi because the stock chip will almost be maxing the 28# injectors and will have 22deg timing but if you can allow a chip like a tt chip that you can tweak the fuel and timing it might help a little (will need to crush the stock regulator to get base FP to 43psi)
id say 13.0 is possible

now free the intake a little with a kn filter , pull the cat and throw in a test pipe with a dump and get some tires on it you can be low low 12s

i also wouldnt attempt this without a scan tool like the scanmaster and a good boost gauge so youll have to allow those in your stock

I'm planning on that for my GN when I get done with the other car's build. You should have it running low 13's on pump gas first with no other problems. I've got TT and JayC chips, 60# injectors, adj fuel press reg, hotwired fuel pump and a kirban 3" downpipe and no cat, M/T ET Drag slicks or drag radials, so far 13.3 through the stock airbox and air filter. With alky, it could run high 11's at 110-113 mph from what I've researched. With the small stock turbo, the other options previously discussed would be to move the compressor map by a third alky nozzle preturbo. To increase boost, an RJC boost controller works well, rather than trying to cut the wastegate arm and make it adjustable.

OK, so if a fella has a well broken in GN, let's say 100k miles but well cared for, and drop dead stock and you were to throw alky at it and a good tune, how fast could he go?:D

With the mods you already have? 12.0 or faster traction permitting:p

With the mods you already have? 12.0 or faster traction permitting:p

if you read his sig and read the list of mods you should conclude he isnt talking about stock with those mods , and beside i think you overlooked the last mod on the list ...SOLD

I'm looking to get back into TRs real soon but as you guys know it's higly unlikely to find a car modded perfectly as you would mod it yourself, so with the money I'm looking to spend I'll probably end up with a clean, but stock car. I'm not going to have much extra money to throw at it but when I say stock I mean all the original hardware like turbo, ICs, and the like. I don't mind a chip or test pipe, afpr, etc. ,etc. I like a stock looking sneaky car....:cool: Whatever I buy will get the basics like a fuel pump, hotwire kit, scanmaster, and a way to adjust the boost but I'll leave everything else alone. Just wondering what alky alone with the all stock motor, turbo, and IC will do for me.

stock motor turbo ic , with alky and tires can go 12.0s egding into 11s on a good day
toss on a duttneck and a 49 and it can run 11.5s and even a little faster ..without having to open the motor , although 24 yr old nylon timing set and valvesprings would have me worried

good question...i was wonder the same thing...if you just ran alcohol injection with cold air intake? What alcohol injection kit do you recomend? is the AEM kit any good?

if you read his sig and read the list of mods you should conclude he isnt talking about stock with those mods , and beside i think you overlooked the last mod on the list ...SOLD

Ok, let me clarify. Mod's he used to have? Hence the " ? ", because people have different opinions on what "stock" is:wink:

Drop dead stock maybe 13.50. with drag radials boost and supporting fuel around 12.5

Thanks for the input guys. I will probably throw little things at it as I go but I plan on keeping it as stock appearing as possible.

If you ditch the stock intercooler and run a swimming pool of Alky, even E85, you have the potential to go faster than the record, the stock IC is a compressor map killer.

If you ditch the stock intercooler and run a swimming pool of Alky, even E85, you have the potential to go faster than the record, the stock IC is a compressor map killer.

OK, you lost me here. what do you mean? I live in West Virginia. We have to pipe in sunlight so you can forget E85....:p

This seems like a good thread for me to get involved in since I'm the king of cheap and don't like to spend money on anything unless I have to. For some reason I'm always broke when it comes to me wanting to buy stuff for my car. Sooo, here's what I would do. Take off the bottom of the air filter housing so the filter is all open. A bottom of a coffee can or a piece of sheet metal with a hole for a bolt to go through should work. Port the exhaust elbow-yes it make a noticeable difference in spool up, gut the cat or get a cheap used test pipe off the board, 237 regulator, skip making an adjustable actuator and get a cheapo ebay boost controller for 12 bucks (I got one on my car it works fine and holds boost at a rock solid 23 lbs) hog out the turbo side on the IC and clean it out with gas or whatever you have lying around and straighten and bent fins clean out the fins also. Get a turbotweak chip with fast update for scanmaster since I'm sure you will be running a scanmaster. You don't have to get an alky chip but it may be beneficial. I'm not running an alky chip, I just turned up the fuel and timing. May also be good to pull your throttle body and clean it up and match the gasket and plenum to the throttle body, at least the gasket, it has a noticable overlap. A powerplate may also be a nice addition. If you really don't have a whole lot of money you can always do this for the time being- http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/before-black-non-sfi-tech/306089-w-body-what-year-washer-tanks.html I also found a way to make a progressive controller for about 30 bucks. Haven't got around to much of my DIY projects though, which is another story....

good question...i was wonder the same thing...if you just ran alcohol injection with cold air intake? What alcohol injection kit do you recomend? is the AEM kit any good?

The alcohol by itself does nothing unless you turn up the boost and compliment it.

As to what kit.. plenty of reading on this board. Use the search function ;)

The fastest "stock" setup ran 11.37 and at the time had over 130K miles on the motor.

Its not the mileage.. its all the inches that add up to feet in the end. The free mods and scantool are first.

This seems like a good thread for me to get involved in since I'm the king of cheap and don't like to spend money on anything unless I have to.....
fast, cheap, reliable. Pick 2

Dewey, the stock intercooler creates about 5.5lbs of backpressure which means when you see 23psi on the boost gauge, the stock turbo is actually pushing 28.5. This is why you see low to moderate 20's psi of boost with the stock turbo at WOT and why some go to the Dutt Neck to gain back 2psi of that backpressure.

So if you ditch the intercooler all together, run a lot of Alcohol injection as your intercooler and run E85 or Race Gas, you have the potential to make more power than the record holder did. There is way more to it than this, but the thread question was, Stock With Alky, How Fast.

IMO, the stock turbo has some left in the tank since Ed had the stock IC and dutt neck running around 25psi.