Stock vs. double roller timing chain?

sixgun86gn

six offender
I have a fresh 4.1 that I have built and it seems kind of doggy down low,compared to my old 4.1 combo.

The differences are minor as far as cam specs last one was a 218/218,and the new one is a 214/224.

I am also using a stretched slic instead of a front mount.

I don't see these as causing a 50hp (estimated) difference.

I did use a stock timing chain on this build,last one used a double roller.

I believe the stock chain is retarded 4 degrees for emissions reasons,is this correct?

I also believe that most double roller chains are corrected,is this also true?

Could my cam being retarded 4 degrees cause my power band to be moved up enough that the low end is killed some or it's costing me some power?

What is the overlap in the cam? All you listed was the duration. If your cam is retarded 4 degrees it will be a pig. I have a 218/224 at 110 and i will be advancing it 4 degrees. It will still be very weak below 4500.

Cam specs show 61* overlap and 112 lobe center angle.

Am I right about the retard in the stock chain set?

Cam specs show 61* overlap and 112 lobe center angle.

Am I right about the retard in the stock chain set?

I dont believe so. If they wanted it retarded it would have been ground in to the cam.

Well I know the v8 buick cam gear is 4* retarded and some cams are ground advanced because of this.

I thought the v6 cam gear would be the same for emissions reasons.

I'm going to change the timing set out for a double roller anyway and see how it feels. Can't hurt any.

Degreeing the cam will answer these questions without any doubt.

Degreeing the cam will answer these questions without any doubt.

X2

Most cams I have degree had 4* advance built in from the manufacturer (that's using good double rollers installed straight up), but that's not a bad thing cause as (most chains) will stretch that will retard the timing several degree. Last billet Crane I installed, I ended up retarding it 2* and it stilled show 2* advance. I figured once the chain streched a bit I'd still be close.

Each degree of cam timing moves the power band range about 50 RPM's according to one of the cam web sites (Comp Cams). So I do not see a few degrees either way making much difference.

Unless you have a custom ground cam and specifcaly tell them that you want it ground "straight up" it will have a 4 degree advance. Use a degree wheel to find out and set it right,