Stock turbo replacement ?

rctrooper1

My stock turbo just went out and instead of rebuilding it, Uncle Sam is going to help me this year to get an upgrade. I am thinking of getting a TE44, I also have stock injectors and chip. Do I have to upgrade injectors and chip to use the TE44? I am planning on upgrading to 60# injectors with a matching TT chip in the very near future. Just want to make sure I can used the stock injectors and chip with the TE44 for now.

any help is appreciated!

thanks.

You can used them for now. Upgrade them if you plan to start using higher boost levels(20+).

Thanks Jasjamz,

I appreciate the info, so what is the easiest way to make sure I dont run that much boost? I do have a boost gauge installed. Do I need some sort of boost controller? any recommendations?

Thanks

For your setup, you will need to order the wastegate that works with a "TE" compressor cover. The stock compressor cover is a "TA" as in TA-49 turbo. The stock wastegate will not line up correctly to be mounted securely. I you can weld or have a fab shop close you can make it work by using a TE bracket and welding the stocker to it. Not worth the trouble if you ask me though. You can score one new for under $100 or even cheaper used.(Parts for Sale section). Is there any reason you want the TE-44 over the TA-49?
The RJC boost control is a nice way to control boost. I see 6psi as the avg. range I can get them to adjust. Will help spool up slighty with the 44 too. Do you have a stock converter?

My preference over the TE44 is the price difference, I am aware of the wastegate difference as far as the mounting bracket. I can get the turbo with wastegate for around 660 or so. the TA49 is around 850. I really dont know if my car has the original D5 converter. When I purchased the car it came with some upgrades, These are what I can tell for now, kenne bell fuel pressure regulator, "hot wire" fuel pump set up (dont know which pump though), dual fan electric fan setup, upgraded intercooler, volt boost for TPS, I googled the numbers on the injectors and are 29# fuel injectors. I do have autometer gauges, boost, water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure. I suppose I have to drop the tranny to check which converter I have, so I wanna play it safe and not get too much of an upgrade on the turbo. I will look into the rjc boost control! Any suggestions? also before I do get an TT chip and matching injectors I am going to get a scanmaster. I have been reading here that it is a much needed tool.

thanks

I run 60pounders with the stocker too. Definitely get a Scanmaster! Do not buy anything until you get one. That thing is invaluable. I use the RJC controller. Once I got it, I think I could have made it myself lol. It works good though. I get even faster spool than before. I can also footbrake it as high as I want. I normally stop at 15psi which is right before the meth kicks in.

See if you can get a TE-44 with a Garrett .63 exhaust housing. It will aid in spool up. You may want to contact Chopper@ Limit Engineering and Turbochargers. He can hook you up with the 44 or may even have a 49 in your price range. Cant go wrong with the TT chip and injector combo,and yes, the Scanmaster is a must have for anyone new to these cars.

Ok guys,

I am planning on doing some upgrades, I already have the TE-44 turbo, I have the power logger on the way. I will be getting the 60# injector / TT street chip combo and a 10" PTC 2800 l/u converter. What you guys recommend for me to start with? Which part do I install first? I am assuming the scan tool, but then which upgrade to I install next?

Bison, Is a 2800 l/u converter to much? what's the range on a restalled D5? what am I looking to spend in a restalled D5? I already have the te-44. I was priced lower than a ta-49.

Bison, Is a 2800 l/u converter to much? what's the range on a restalled D5? what am I looking to spend in a restalled D5? I already have the te-44. I was priced lower than a ta-49.
A 44 should be a lot less than a 49. A 49 requires a core to make it and requires extra work to get the wheels to work properly in the housings/back plate. If it uses a stock backplate it uses a more expensive thrust assembly if its a 360* thrust. A 2800 would spool it fast. A restalled D5 is usually around 2200rpm and it spools either of these with a garrett .63 fast.