Stock 86/87 rims can't be chromed?

ncmalko1

#1 Eagles fan
I know a guy who chromes rims for $40 a wheel. I've heard this cant be done on the 87 stock GN rims? Can one of the gurus out there tell me why. I've found companies that specialize in GN rims but it costs close to $1000 (shipping included).

$1000 is close to what I’ve heard as well. The only place I know that does them is trudesignwheel.net. Its $190/wheel plus about $20/wheel for shipping. If you want them widened it’s between $220-240/wheel. Those prices also include having the black redone. If you know someone for $40/wheel I would like to see pics of the work and a name and number.

rechrome original GN steel wheels

the process costs about $250 per wheel. The reason being is that the wheel is taken apart into three pieces - the inner and outer rim shells and the center section. this is the only way to do the job correctly. the three pieces are stripped to bare metal, re-chromed, welded back together and balanced.

Look at a chrome GN wheel from the back and you will see the inner weld seam. From the front, the outer weld seam is hidden where the outer shell meets the center section. In addition, since that area is so close, it has to be taken apart to chrome properly.

The wheels are taken apart by a CNC milling machine and takes a few hours to do.

Jim Lyon at TruDesign Wheel did a set of original wheels for me and they are perfect - almost look better than when they were new. While we should support our sponsor venders when ever we can, Jim does the work for some of our supporting venders. I would address Jim directly with any technical questions.

Some venders will put your center section in new rim shells. If you do this, you will loose the date coded information from the inside rim shell. If you are keeping the factory 15 x 7 size, I would suggest using your original parts if you can so you don't loose the date codes and part #'s.

Again, contact Jim Lyon at TruDesign wheel directly with any technical questions. You won't be sorry.

-Anthony

I'm pretty sure you can get some new GN rims for less the $1000 on ebay. Why not just buy new and save $$$?

Actually there is only 2 sections. Your center & outside shell. Both have to be blasted & then chromed. The center has to be re-welded back in. There will be chrome missing where the back weld isin back. It is normally powder coated chrome on a small 1/2" section to cover it. Runs $175 a wheel.

I'm pretty sure you can get some new GN rims for less the $1000 on ebay. Why not just buy new and save $$$?

That's fine, but don't assume that new = flawless. Even when new back in 86/87 these wheels were often blemished, and some of whatever NOS is rattling around after 20 years may be of poor quality. Some of our vendors have stopped supplying various NOS parts because the quality of what remains is so poor. That's what happens when the stuff rattles around in a boxcar for 20 years, then gets picked over by cherrypickers.

Personally, I put my GN and T wheels away and run Convo Pros. They look great, are feather light and will never rust, chip, whatever, and were about $600 when I purchased them.