steering shaft / intermediate shaft

Do you guys think this one will work?

Borgeson Universal Company 000893 - BORGESON Heavy Duty Replacement Steering Shaft for 84-96 Jeep® Cherokee & Wagoneer XJ - Quadratec

Its the same "supposedly" as the other cherokee but a beefier upgrade. My friend has one sitting on his shelf at a jeep shop out here that I can get at a steal from him. Looks like it would be a nice upgrade from the stock jeep one, no slop what so ever.

Just not sure if it will collapse enough!?

Check the range of adjustment and what the ends look like. An 84' jeep shaft is way different than an 96'. Also, based on the pic, it's hard to see how it would adjust at all. Why spend big money and take the risk on that thing when you can buy a nice NACAM shaft that you know will bolt right in?

If your interested, I have 2 NACAM shafts I would sell if anyone is interested. They have been sandblasted and painted satin black. $50 shipped (within US).

Just go to a junkyard and take one from a jeep yourself. They range from $6-$10. Then while you are there find some gbody cutlass or grand prix and take the front frame braces. For less than $30 you have a decent upgrade for the front end.

By far one of the best mods I have ever done. Very easy, took me less than 1 hr. Some notes on the install:

1. Make sure to spread the fittings on each end of the Jeep shaft to make it easier to install. I just used a big screwdriver to do this.

2. At the column end of the shaft, you wont be able to install the bolt that comes with it because of clearance issues. I used a thinner bolt with a lock nut to tighten it up.

3. Make sure you lube up the spline end.

4. I cut off the plastic boot from the old shaft and reused it on the Jeep shaft. I did this because the new shaft was rubbing against the power steering hose.

5. I also recommend adjusting the steering gear at the same time. My car steers like new after doing these very 2 simple jobs, and it was very very sloppy before.

Hope this helps!