steering shaft / intermediate shaft

TKGN1

For those wanting/needing to replace the sloppy rag joint found in the steering shaft of the g-body:
Found some info on a couple other g-body sites that a steering shaft out of a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which has u-joints rather than a rag joint, will swap DIRECTLY over to our g-body steering.
Did the swap this past weekend, only took about 1-1/2 hrs, you will need the bolts that are on the jeep shaft as the g-body bolts will not work on the jeep shaft.
Definately less slop in the steering, easy and cheap upgrade.
link about shaft:
Upgraded Steering Shaft - OldsPower.com

Lost this post from last week (server swap), so re-posted for those who might want to take a look.
HTH

Attachments

• 11-6-08 005.jpg
    11-6-08 005.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4,648
  • 11-6-08 006.jpg
    11-6-08 006.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4,676
  • 11-6-08 007.jpg
    11-6-08 007.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 4,340
Very cool. Thanks for the heads up. will hit up the junkyard asap. I have been thinking of replacing the steering box beacause of some slop. Will do this first.

Awesome post,i am at this stage with my car right now and was wondering what to do about the stock rag joint....

Awesome! This will definetely be on the "Stuff to do" list.

I have a buddy in the Jeep business.
I can probably pick one up for next to nothing.
I still experience some sloppy steering even after rebuilding the shaft, replacing all the steering linkage components, and using a LOW mileage steering box.

is there a part number that i can go to the jeep dealer and buy one?

I can't verify the part #, but looks like the exact same one.
I would also like to know the # just for future reference.

Part # 52079050. Fits 1995 & 1996 Grand Cherokee from production date 1/6/95 up. Dealer list $252.00. Cheaper to get good used one, check u-joints 1st.

The fellas on the montecarloss.com board are finding good success with this setup so far.

Yup. I can vouch for that as I'm one of them.

i just bought some from aaron timm in thorton colorado. his e-mail is aaronptimm@yahoo.com $50.00 shipped in the states.

He's the guy to talk to if you need one. I got mine from him & also recently requested that he sign up on MCSS.com to offer them to the Monte guys.

This mod works very well & I'd say it took out about 75% of the slop.

Just to let you guys know 97 and up grand cherokee shafts dont fit g body's the end that goes on the bottom of the steering shaft is too small.

how are you guys getting the cherokee clamp style connection to properly connect to the regal through bolt syle connection at the steering column

please tell me you're not just clamping it over

If anyone is interested i have the correct one (real nice condition)that well bolt right on to a Buick, $50 plus shipping.
Thanks.

how are you guys getting the cherokee clamp style connection to properly connect to the regal through bolt syle connection at the steering column

please tell me you're not just clamping it over

it does not go throught he column like the g-body. It does clamp over it. Believe me its tight as heck going on and after you get it on the clamp holds it fine.