steering shaft / intermediate shaft

Part # 52079050. Fits 1995 & 1996 Grand Cherokee from production date 1/6/95 up. Dealer list $252.00. Cheaper to get good used one, check u-joints 1st.

After making a trip to my local yard it looks like the '93-'94 shafts will work also. The '97 and up are too big on the splined end. I picked up three of them and two manual steering boxes. Two of the shafts and one of the boxes are spoken for. So I have one of each for sale.

Sounds like a great upgrade for the money, something Im all for! I'll look into it when I get some spare coin.

Thanks.

Sounds like a great upgrade for the money, something Im all for! I'll look into it when I get some spare coin.

Does it matter if its for a 4x4 GC or not?:confused:

Thanks.

anybody got a ebay item number? all i find is tie rods and gear boxes...

Got one from a 89 Jeep cheerokee. Fits perfect. No test drive until motor is back in

Yup. I can vouch for that as I'm one of them.

He's the guy to talk to if you need one. I got mine from him & also recently requested that he sign up on MCSS.com to offer them to the Monte guys.

This mod works very well & I'd say it took out about 75% of the slop.

Aaron has been selling these on ebay and he also has created a video to show an install. Here are the videos he's made so far:

Steering Shaft
Hydroboost
Chip Tuning

And here is his profile on the site: Fivetodrive's Profile on TuneyFish.com

Aaron also wants to be able to sell them from his profile page, and judging by the demand he's seen for these we just might make that possible soon.

Drove mine a few months back around the neighborhood. didnt feel a differance. Stock rag joint looked to still be good. My steering box is probably a bit sloppy. I also was driving it for the first time with the 16"gnx wheels. Was expecting a bit sharper turn in feel but not that i noticed. This is with 5k miles since rebuilding front suspension, so there is no worn parts but the box.

I did this mod a few weeks ago and it took care of most of the slop but not all.The car did feel alot better though but i might need to replace the gear box.

Yep, if the stock rag joint is not shot I doubt the upgrade will make a big difference. Most cars have a little wear in the whole steering system, not a lot on one particular piece. I think a combination of a little wear fom the steering shaft to the the tie rod ends can add up and cause slop. If you where replacing other steering components that would be the optimum time for a swap IMO.

Yep, if the stock rag joint is not shot I doubt the upgrade will make a big difference. Most cars have a little wear in the whole steering system, not a lot on one particular piece. I think a combination of a little wear fom the steering shaft to the the tie rod ends can add up and cause slop. If you where replacing other steering components that would be the optimum time for a swap IMO.

+1 I'm also assuming that using this type of shaft without the rag joint will allow more raod vibrations to travel the steering wheel...

i went and pulled one from a 94 grand cherokee and it sort of has a new style ragjoint where the upper ujoint coupling (the large end) is joined to the shaft. they dint use a rag but rather a bushing style coupling , the shaft is surrounded with a rubber core for vibration so its no a totally solid shaft so if you turned the wheel really hard the shaft should have some spin in the bushing but not nearly as bad as the rag design , and the shaft is T'd at the top at inner end of coupling allowing a few degrees of ratation before it would contact the coupling like the old style rag joint was designed to do if rubber failed or gets softer , it would still rotate the shaft and not result in loss of steering .

To all those wondering no it does not have any extra road vibration after the swap. I've done this on my 81 Grand Prix and a friend has done it to his 87 Cutlass. I do have to admit at very slow speeds around town you dont notice too much difference, but the faster you go the more this mod shines especially on the highway. But the condition of ALL the steering components does play a factor in how well it works, his Cutlass is more responsive steering wise than my GP simply because he adjusted all the play out of the steering box (both over center adjustment and bearing clearance/preload) and the rest of his linkage is tight, where my steering box undoubtedly has some play in it and my center drag link is definatly bad. And both our cars have the "Monte SS/GN" type steering box.

I also just did this mod to my ElCo and added a HX Steering Box.
I need to grease the tie rods and the drag link to get them a little tighter as they are dry.
Nice mod, works great, and i love the feel of the HX Box, but would like a few more degrees of turing radius, but at least my tires dont rub anymore.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 902