steering shaft / intermediate shaft

On the jeep shaft,where it connects to the column, it clamps around with nothing to really keep it from sliding off over time. i drilled a new hole in the center of the jeep shaft so it will now bolt up like the factory steering shaft. i can remember what size it was. i just took the factory bolt and sized it up. Doing it this way requires a new nut and bolt (needs to be longer).

Steve

Well this would have been a moderate task if the ebay seller had sent me the right shaft... No idea what the hell he sent me, but I didnt realize it until my old one was out!

The bottom end fits on the sterring box fine, but the upper end will not connect to the collum.

BTW this is a knuckle buster for anyone wondering... and getting the old shaft out sucks.

There are 2 types. I did the same thing when I went to the junk yard, I bought one that had and aluminum upper joint at the column, and it was way too small. The are many guys on these forums and ebay selling jeep shafts for a swap, as if they were all the same. you have to be careful.

Well I spent the better part of an hour calling salvage places... not much luck or too expensive.

So I just ordered this one Original Replacement Parts 4713943 - Lower Steering Shaft Assembly for 87-96 Jeep® Cherokee XJ - Quadratec I'll be reporting back on fitment as soon as it comes in! I'm just going to put mine back in for now. The hardest part was convincing that stupid plastic sheild to fit through that tight area... I already hacked that off, so im hoping that it comes on and off easier this time.

Well this is just wonderful... Just received my new steering shaft from quadratec and the shaft will not collapse.:mad:

this is starting to turn into a real pain in the ass...

I had to beat mine pretty good to work it loose. I then cleaned it up and it went on fine

Got it set up soaking with a little penetrating oil... thing is this is a brand new shaft that I just dropped 130$ on. Not too happy about having to beat the hell out of a brand new part.

I have sold a lot of these shafts and I know which ones fit.All regular cherokee shafts are in a fixed position I stand it up and give it 2 good hits on the steering box end with a 3lb sledge,breaks it loose every time no need to heat it up there are 2 plastic bands inside that are holding it.
The first 2 years of the grand cherokee 93-94 fit and are not fixed they slide in and out
I have had a jeep shaft on one of my g bodys for more than 100k miles and the upper part has not loosened up and fell off -imagine that it's still as tight as the day I put it on
If you want to drill a hole through it for piece of mind thats cool but it does clamp down real good as is you can also put a small hose clamp around it where they slide together if it did loosen up it won't slide off the column

Well, an overnight soak in penetrating oil has resulted in no change... I even beat the hell out of it with a BFH... then pulled out and even bigger BFH and still nothing.

I am now resorting to sticking the sucker in the oven at 250, let it heat up and then heat the areas where the plastic is with a blow torch and once again try the BFH method.

I got to thinking about it some more and read up on several jeep and G-body sites, and everyone agrees that the shaft should collapse in the event of a crash... but if I cant get this thing to collapse, I am sending it back. There is no way in hell I'd ride around in anything with a fixed shaft. Being impaled just isnt my cup of tea... or at least that's what I'll tell them when I return it.

On a side note, just removing and reinstalling my stock shaft have tightened up some play in my steering. It wasn't loose, and wasnt fun to remove with the stock plastic shield, but for some reason just removing an reinstalling helped. My rag joint is definitely worn though.

OK here's what you got to do if you want to use the new jeep cherokee shaft from quadratec!

Turn your oven on to 250, put shaft in over, and let it bake for a solid 30min.

Take it out (wear oven mits the whole time you are handling the hot shaft) put it on a solid surface (bucket lid on the garage floor is what I used) stand it up straight and beat the hell out of it! If it doesnt collapse the first time, stick it back in the oven and turn it up to 285 and let it sit for 10-15min. Repeat procedure until it collapses a few inches and then you should be able to pull the sucker apart. It may smell a slight amount, but it's nothing your wife would kill you for.

So yes, the quadratech shafts for 80s jeep cherokees work, are a slight pain in the ass... but the steering feel's great now!

Just did mine

Just did mine today. Only took about 30 minutes to do, but I have plenty of room in the engine bay right now. Down for head gaskets. Attached are before and after pics.

I think I am gonna pull it back off and drill out the hole for the bolt to clamp down on the shaft. I picked up a few extra if anyone wants one $30 plus shipping each.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 555
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 552
I think I am gonna pull it back off and drill out the hole for the bolt to clamp down on the shaft.
I've wondered which way was the best to secure the top of the shaft. What do you mean by drill out the hole? Enlarge the one on the Jeep piece, or are you talking about drilling for a through bolt like the stock shaft? I was thinking grooving the strreing wheel shaft wirh a Dremel for bolt clearance.

I've wondered which way was the best to secure the top of the shaft. What do you mean by drill out the hole? Enlarge the one on the Jeep piece, or are you talking about drilling for a through bolt like the stock shaft? I was thinking grooving the strreing wheel shaft wirh a Dremel for bolt clearance.

I do the notch trick on the column exiting the firewall with the Dremel. Using a course sanding drum it doesn't take too long. Be sure to place a sheet or two of newspaper under the area to catch the metal filings.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Im going to drill a hole all the way through the joint at column just like the factory one had. I will use a grade 8 fastener and a washer on both sides with a nylock nut.

Splines on shafts

Are both ends directly the same to allow clamping force and splines?
Meaning do both ends engage like a steering wheel for safety so the shafts cannot ever slip and caus loss of steering?
I was told one end relies simply on regular clamping and not splined and may loosen down the raod and cause loss of steering?
Is this true?

Thanks

I did this a couple of weeks ago. The box end is splined and works like the stock piece. The column end is not splined, and does indeed have a "pinch" arrangement. After installing it I have no worries that it will fall off. You must groove the bottom side of the column shaft for the bolt to clear it. Once the bolt is in the groove there's no way the shafts will slide past each other. If you are really worried about it, put a hose clamp where the smaller shaft slides into the bigger one. It certainly wont slide down then.