State of the Buick Community: What to keep it from dying? Please check it out???

Sean,

My comment was not directed at you personally, however in re-reading it I see how it could have been taken that way. I appologize if you believe it was a personal attack, because it was not meant to be.

I guess what I was trying to say is the more divided we remain, the faster the demise of our community will take place.

Without cooperation we are doomed. These events should be about camaraderie in the pits, competition on the track, and a good time for everyone, racers and spectators..

Someone said "The G S C A and it's hired henchmen think their pee pees are the biggest and they aren't going to change that soon."

I say "Go get a ruler, little fella!"

Guy Cunningham

Apology accepted some others took it that way also... It says something about you when you admit a mistake. next time use a smiley...lol :cool::D

I think it starts with being commited to the local guys around you. If you can strike up a good group then I think you would see more numbers at the nationwide shows/races.

The input and ideas are awesome. It will take a serious sit down of all those coordinating, promoting and supporting events, enthusiasts and parts suppliers and vendors on how to promote an event and get the best event possible. People will have to step aside and let the best of the best to run the event. Hell i will in a heart beat but like Will, Jay C, and others have stated that will be the biggest road block. So we shall have to check ego at the door, make best possible decision for community and make 1 or 2 events a year. Major car events like Mopar Nats or Pontiac Nats do a once a year event. For years BG was the end all be all event and people made their entire year vacation around the dates in BG. Now market saturation of events and people will not go to an event or support something that is losing money every year. So i would gladly let someone run an event if they can get the community to cooperate and respond in force. But this is the #1 issue so hopefully it can come soon so that our community can remain and survive and not be a thing of the past. Will be interesting to see what happens and to me i hope it goes through. Nobody knows me or very few and that is fine. I have no ego nor desire to become "Mr Buick" and would definitely let someone else get the credit or run an event and promote if it meant we get a sweet event. Nothing will ever be perfect, always bickering and complaints, human nature and some people are never satisfied.

But this is a step in the right direction. Acknowledging we have too many events and a community that is decreasing as we speak and in order to keep it going we have consolidate events, make 1 or 2 and support it as best we can in these trying times. People will make the event or attend something if they really want to as diehards unless they pass away or health issue, they will not let anything get in their way. But we have to make it worth the $$ for those who arent diehards and just looking to show or race buy parts meet new people have fun etc, MUST MAKE IT WORTH THEIR WHILE!!

The people have spoken now lets see if people can back up with they say and let things go for having fun and success and worry less who takes credit and all that jazz. Like i said hardly anyone knows me. Im not getting paid to do it, i do it b/c i love the cars, have met great people and have had some great memories of my life at BG, BPG , Norwalk etc and i ABSOLUTELY LOVE BUICKS ESPECIALLY TRs/GS! So lets stop the fighting, the bickering, ego battles, the big D$%^ syndrome (my car is faster, cleaner, nicer than yours), get back to basics, have fun, throw a great event, cooperate, step aside of silly issues that happened 20 years ago and enjoy the time you have left with the community and the cars. Outside of being a victim of a violent crime, there is no reason to harbor bad feelings or ill will towards someone for something that happened 2 decades ago. you can at least respect that person. so let bygones be bygones and cooperate to make a kick ace event. Time is short and no reason to let something or someone anger you and let it eat you up inside. Life is too damn short for that jive.

Lets get back to basics of having fun and enjoying the cars. Will be a great step for the hobby. I will do my part as i have last year for the event i helped. Rest is up to the community. Step up and do your part or sit and complain like an old lady and let all the nonsense continue and watch the community disappear. Like the song Stand up by Drowning Pool. Decision is yours, you know where i stand. I make no money off this, purely passion and drive for my love of Buicks and the great people i have met and want to continue to meet others and like they say you can never too many friends.

Shane...I have some pretty good contacts at ZMax......I can tell you from experience, the price they quote to start is typically a long way from the price they are willing to accept.

Just a thought. PM me if that fits in your secret plan. :biggrin:

The input and ideas are awesome. It will take a serious sit down of all those coordinating, promoting and supporting events, enthusiasts and parts suppliers and vendors on how to promote an event and get the best event possible. People will have to step aside and let the best of the best to run the event. Hell i will in a heart beat but like Will, Jay C, and others have stated that will be the biggest road block. So we shall have to check ego at the door, make best possible decision for community and make 1 or 2 events a year. Major car events like Mopar Nats or Pontiac Nats do a once a year event. For years BG was the end all be all event and people made their entire year vacation around the dates in BG. Now market saturation of events and people will not go to an event or support something that is losing money every year. So i would gladly let someone run an event if they can get the community to cooperate and respond in force. But this is the #1 issue so hopefully it can come soon so that our community can remain and survive and not be a thing of the past. Will be interesting to see what happens and to me i hope it goes through. Nobody knows me or very few and that is fine. I have no ego nor desire to become "Mr Buick" and would definitely let someone else get the credit or run an event and promote if it meant we get a sweet event. Nothing will ever be perfect, always bickering and complaints, human nature and some people are never satisfied.

But this is a step in the right direction. Acknowledging we have too many events and a community that is decreasing as we speak and in order to keep it going we have consolidate events, make 1 or 2 and support it as best we can in these trying times. People will make the event or attend something if they really want to as diehards unless they pass away or health issue, they will not let anything get in their way. But we have to make it worth the $$ for those who arent diehards and just looking to show or race buy parts meet new people have fun etc, MUST MAKE IT WORTH THEIR WHILE!!

The people have spoken now lets see if people can back up with they say and let things go for having fun and success and worry less who takes credit and all that jazz. Like i said hardly anyone knows me. Im not getting paid to do it, i do it b/c i love the cars, have met great people and have had some great memories of my life at BG, BPG , Norwalk etc and i ABSOLUTELY LOVE BUICKS ESPECIALLY TRs/GS! So lets stop the fighting, the bickering, ego battles, the big D$%^ syndrome (my car is faster, cleaner, nicer than yours), get back to basics, have fun, throw a great event, cooperate, step aside of silly issues that happened 20 years ago and enjoy the time you have left with the community and the cars. Outside of being a victim of a violent crime, there is no reason to harbor bad feelings or ill will towards someone for something that happened 2 decades ago. you can at least respect that person. so let bygones be bygones and cooperate to make a kick ace event. Time is short and no reason to let something or someone anger you and let it eat you up inside. Life is too damn short for that jive.

Lets get back to basics of having fun and enjoying the cars. Will be a great step for the hobby. I will do my part as i have last year for the event i helped. Rest is up to the community. Step up and do your part or sit and complain like an old lady and let all the nonsense continue and watch the community disappear. Like the song Stand up by Drowning Pool. Decision is yours, you know where i stand. I make no money off this, purely passion and drive for my love of Buicks and the great people i have met and want to continue to meet others and like they say you can never too many friends.

I'm curious:

Which class had the most entrants?

Anthony.....kudos for the open dialog and maybe it will go somewhere.

Have you considered a conference call with all the PR directors of each organization to get their honest, open and up front dialog? If that took place then all organizations can come up with ideas both good and bad, that can be put into meeting minutes and presented for further debate and defineable action plans.

but I an not sure if you will see a guy running around with a pink hat and a fanny pack for a good laugh.

Now that's funny. Don't forget the safari hat guy at the guard shack, used to love driving by him to park in the pits and watching him wave his arms after we passed.

Anthony.....kudos for the open dialog and maybe it will go somewhere.

Have you considered a conference call with all the PR directors of each organization to get their honest, open and up front dialog? If that took place then all organizations can come up with ideas both good and bad, that can be put into meeting minutes and presented for further debate and defineable action plans.

I think that's a great idea but the PR director for the JCC is on vacation in Florida and unavailable this week....

Im up for a meeting no problem. However things MUST be new, different, and exciting. Something beyond what is currently available at other venues as far as racing. I did like the furious 4 at the BPG. Definately different and that's what is needed. People need to be open minded and not shoot different ideas down just because they feel it won't work.

Im up for a meeting no problem. However things MUST be new, different, and exciting. Something beyond what is currently available at other venues as far as racing. I did like the furious 4 at the BPG. Definately different and that's what is needed. People need to be open minded and not shoot different ideas down just because they feel it won't work.
So why wouldn't you go for broke. Having a Pinks format in the program would be a huge draw, even for just a day. His show would be craving for something different just as we are, there numbers are probably down too. I would bet they would kill to discuss new ideas and views. If you want to step it up, step it up. Otherwise we all will just expect status quo.

I never stated that I wouldn't go for broke, where did you see that:confused:. BUT you have to keep in mind from a renters aspect you have to make sure that you don't go broke in the process. Pinks is gone and only aires in re-runs. You also have to keep in mind they were drawing 500-600 cars. No Buick event has drawn that many cars. In its best years BG probably drew 200 cars max. Do you even know the style of racing that Pinks was?? The field was essentially a set dial in and heads up. (which is index racing). I have been running index racing for 3 years at 2 different events.. For the spectators I just booked, today none the less, Classic gear jammers to appear in NC. EVERYONE who races loves cars of any kind. These are super stock , small block, 4 speed of all makes and models turning 10k off the line and wheels up. Have you ever seen that and any Buick event that you have attended?? I have done things different from day one. Just like the BPG did with their furious 4. Brings something different for the racers and the fans to try and keep an event growing, being profitable, and heading in the right direction

Yes I have been involved with Pinks, but should have specified Pinks All Out. Didn't mean to elevate your blood pressure, it was nothing personal. And yes I liked the furious 4, I was there. It was a great idea but it didn't seem to do anything to bring in extra attendance to the meet. When I saw Sean's post I thought that it was in fact a very fresh and exciting race to have. But, like I said earlier, racing was like pulling teeth at BPG. It just didn't seem like anybody was serious into racing. If we are going to have a huge event, the draw would go toward being the ultimate car show with the ultimate racing event. I'm new here, pushing 60. Before I die I would love to see this program hit it's mark. I'm with Tony, check your attitudes at the door.

No attitude here. Just responding to your post is all. Something being promoted in the proper way is the key to its survival. Making it fun for the racers and the fans alike... Hope to see you in BG or NC in 2012. The best place IMHO for all the "powers that be" from all the Buick event is to get together in BG in 8 weeks, have dinner, put their heads together and come up with a way to unite the Buick community as a whole. I have given, in some way, to virtually all the major events. I helped Anthony and Sean with advice and free giveaway tickets for the BPG, I am also helping the GSCA this year by doing alot of PA announcements for them as I did last year. The only attitude I have is one of "let's get sh*t done"...:cool:

I think that's a great idea but the PR director for the JCC is on vacation in Florida and unavailable this week....

>>> Artie,
Don't worry as no meeting will begin unless you as the JCC PR director are to be in attendance, a postcard will be mailed as to the date and time of the meeting.

Everyone is saying find common ground between the GSCA & BPG but the usual people are making their same crappy comments. This is why a lot of people don't go the BPG event, myself included. So much for burying the hatchet.

Everyone is saying find common ground between the GSCA & BPG but the usual people are making their same crappy comments. This is why a lot of people don't go the BPG event, myself included. So much for burying the hatchet.

5% of people cause 95% of all the problems it would seem...

The problem with a Pinks All Out format is TR's DO NOT hot lap well.

I would be scared to run my TR in a format like that.

But then there I go, separating the TR's from the other guys.....

Ya' can't win fer losing! :rolleyes: