Starting my CNP install

turbobitt

Well, after much resistance I decided to make the leap into a XIM CNP system. I'm really hoping this works out for the best.
As of now, I have not started the actual wiring or XIM install. I first need to find a way to mount the coils. I initially was going to have Billet fabrication make me a set but thought that I would rather support a board member if possible. I had seen a set that MikeE(Mike Edwards) had made and knew that I could get a better quality job and get the personal touches that I was requesting. I had ask Mike if he would be willing to make me a set of custom valve covers and was very generous to make these for me at the price he was asking. The quality and fabrication work is absolutely stunning. Mike has made a removable bracket to mount the coils so the direction can be reversed by flipping the bracket. As of now the coil wires will be pointing back so the plug wires can run under the headers. Another change I wanted to make was to switch to a perimeter bolt style cover over the center bolts so this was a good opportunity to do everything at once. Believe it or not it was a small project just to get to this point. My heads we not exactly set up for perimeter bolts and was a PITA to do on a running engine.
Below are some pictures of Mikes covers.
AG.

011.JPG
012.JPG

Looks great, love those valve covers!

If my damn race car would sell, and sell for a decent price my plan is to run XFI with XIM as well. I already have a set of VC's modified with little threaded towers to attach the coil brackets to, plus the brackets, stock LS truck coils, and the harness is made. Of course, your VC and coil arrangement is much, much cleaner than running a modified stock LS coil bracket...

Very interested to see the difference before and after with your setup with the XIM.

I got a secret! Yes! I know your valve lash,I know your valve lash! Just kidding that looks really good and functional. Looks like you have a science experiment going also.

Good idea to go with Mike. He is the best fabricator on this board. His parts are always really nice...and function perfectly.

I got a secret! Yes! I know your valve lash,I know your valve lash! Just kidding that looks really good and functional. Looks like you have a science experiment going also.
That plaque is outdated. I would set my lash really tight for street driving but now just keep it loose because I'm simply to lazy to reset it.
AG.

I decided to take Friday off and complete the XIM install. Basically took me about 1.5 hours to remove the factory coilpack/module and remove and reverse any wiring from the BB 2-step. After that was the unpleasant chore of working my out of shape body under the dash to install the XIM. Had to remove the passenger seat to make it easier. Took me almost 12 hours to complete from start to turn key finish. Because of the way I wanted to run the plug wires, I repined the CNP harness to allow CYL 1 and 2 to be at the rear with 5 and 6 at the front. This made the wires nearly identical in length. Because my coil pack was on the firewall, I was able to salvage my wires and just cut to proper length and install the LS style MSD boots. About the only other Item I think I may do is install a heat shield on the passenger side to protect the coils.

Very happy with the install and can't wait to get it back to the track.

040.JPG
041.JPG
043 (2).JPG
047 (2).JPG

Nice job Allan! Guys, this is one sick car that does it all! 8's AND street duty on a regular basis.

Thanks guys. One other very important thing about the install I forgot to mention and is noteworthy is that the system was bought from Cal Hartline. I bought the system because I knew he had excellent customer support. This proved to be valuable during the install and configuring of the system since he spent much of yesterday answering my texts on a holiday weekend. Thanks Cal for all your help !!
Allan G.

Last edited by a moderator:
My pleasure Allan! I don't know anyone using more of the features of the XFI than you. I hope to continue working with you in the future. What a clean install. Mike E is quite a fabricator.

Last edited by a moderator:
My pleasure Allan! I don't know anyone using more of the features of the XFI than you. I hope to continue working with you in the future. What a clean install. Mike E is quite a fabricator.

Mike did a phenomenal job on the valve covers and really makes the system complete. Your wiring was really good to. I really like being able to control the 2-step from the laptop instead of crawling under the dash and flipping dip switches.

I'm trying to push the system for all its worth. Sometime the simple things get me excited. I finally figured out about a month ago how to calculate gear with the FAST DASH and do gear specific shift points and is helpful when you need more lead on the 1-2 shift than the 2-3. It really makes the devices multi-purpose and valuable and not just eye candy.
Allan G.

Pat yourself on the back Allan. Everything about your car is fantastic!!!! I look forward to following your success when you start testing. All the best.

Pat yourself on the back Allan. Everything about your car is fantastic!!!! I look forward to following your success when you start testing. All the best.
Thanks Mike, Next goal is to make it run as good as it looks. I'm hoping for some mid to low 8 second passes. Was hoping about this time with the weather being so good but time is always an issue. Trying to make some extra money for a new transmission gear set and some other mods.
AG.

Very nice, but how much is this all costing/vs performace gain?