Starting issue

Jake04

Driving my 87 GN today, ran great all day, went to leave stop light and mashed the gas, it took off good then after about 2 seconds it just died. Cranks but will not restart, check engine light on and giving me a code 12 or 24, fuel pressure on gauge shows 40psi, sounds like pump kicks on when key is turned on so I have an electric issue I am assuming, any ideas where to start? Maybe ecm? Car is stock and hasn't been tampered with.

I bet your cam sensor moved slightly and now it wont start , did you check your cam sensor ?

Driving my 87 GN today, ran great all day, went to leave stop light and mashed the gas, it took off good then after about 2 seconds it just died. Cranks but will not restart, check engine light on and giving me a code 12 or 24, fuel pressure on gauge shows 40psi, sounds like pump kicks on when key is turned on so I have an electric issue I am assuming, any ideas where to start? Maybe ecm? Car is stock and hasn't been tampered with.
Code 12 is the ecm running diagnostic, 24 is the VSS. Try unhooking the battery to delete the codes. what's your TPS sitting at?

Code 12 is the ecm running diagnostic, 24 is the VSS. Try unhooking the battery to delete the codes. what's your TPS sitting at?
I did try the battery reset, will the tps show on my scan master even though the car won't run?

I did try the battery reset, will the tps show on my scan master even though the car won't run?
The scanmaster will read the TPS even without the car started, turn the key on without cranking. Also the no-start charts everyone is talking about is really handy if that isn't the problem.

The scanmaster will read the TPS even without the car started, turn the key on without cranking. Also the no-start charts everyone is talking about is really handy if that isn't the problem.
What should the tps read with key on, thanks for the no start charts they will help.

What should the tps read with key on, thanks for the no start charts they will help.
it should read .42 with just the key on. If it moved under hard acceleration, cause it was loose, your readings will be off. look at your scanmaster on TPS, loosen the screws and adjust until you get it to.42; helps to have someone looking at the scanmaster while you're adjusting, but you can do it yourself.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/TPS.html

Okay so TPS reads.38, took a test light to injector and (don't have a noid light) grounded test light to battery, test light stays on when key on and cranking, ohms across injector is over 10 so based on flow chart ecm is shot, is it normal for an ecm just to die during wot?

So after digging some more, I took a look at my crank sensor and the middle part of the tab was broken, looks like that is where the magnet is and it's broke off. The sensor slides back and forth in the bracket and must have moved and broke off the middle tab. Must be my issue???

So after digging some more, I took a look at my crank sensor and the middle part of the tab was broken, looks like that is where the magnet is and it's broke off. The sensor slides back and forth in the bracket and must have moved and broke off the middle tab. Must be my issue???
Glad you found issue, I normally keep a spare one of those in the trunk. Pretty cheap on amazon. When you put the new one on don't over torque it, it's soft plastic and the bracket is BS pop metal.

The sensor slides back and forth in the bracket and must have moved and broke off the middle tab. Must be my issue???

You found the problem. Without a working crank sensor, you gots no crank.

If you broke the one that came with the car new, you'll need to buy a sensor and a bracket. MAKE SURE the reluctor ring doesn't contact the sensor anywhere on the circle.

At this point you don't know if your sensor came loose and hit the ring, or if the ring got tweaked and took out the sensor.

The code 24 on the other hand will keep your TCC clutch from working if it's bad. Does your scanmaster show (correct) MPH when driving?

when you put the new one in use an old credit card as your spacer between the reluctor ring and new sensor and make sure you test all the blades for clearance you might have bent one .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk