Standard GN Smog Equipment

Old Car Guy

Is there a difference in standard 1986/1987 GN smog equipment, between those sold in California and those sold in the other 49 states?

My son is just about to buy a GN, and we're wondering if we would have problems getting a non-California GN registered in California because of differences in smog equipment. If so, we'll limit our search to California cars, but if not, it would give us a lot more GN's to look at.

Thanks.

Required equipment is the same. The difference is in the prom. The federal prom uses less EGR than the CA prom. You should have no troubles getting the car to pass an ASM test (provided the vehicle is stock). It may run a little lean on the dyno test though.

Shouldn't be any problem bringing an out of state car in. You can't convert a Federal car to California specs if you are hoping it will help. It won't. California will still see it as a Federal car.

It doesn't matter to the state. Bring it in, they test it, you own it.

The increased EGR is interesting.

The SC engines in 92-95 only had a change to the 2-1 downshift (35 MPH vs 31). That was it between Fed and CA.

Originally posted by terryk

The increased EGR is interesting.

That is because CA has more of a problem with HC and NOx emissions, than the eastern US. In the east and south, there is more of an issue with CO attainment.

A relative tried to register a used car (program car) bought out of state in CA. As long as the vehicle has more than 7500 miles, it is considered a used car and a federal used car can be registered in CA.

Be aware that any GN you buy from a non emissions testing area will likely have the cat gutted and the turbo breather bypassed.

The gutted cat is worth .4 at the track and the breather bypass keeps oil out of the intercooler. You have to correct these to pass.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
That is because CA has more of a problem with HC and NOx emissions, than the eastern US. In the east and south, there is more of an issue with CO attainment.

Is that why they want to misfire on slight throttle tip in? I reduced the EGR and it seems to improve it alot.

terryk,

Actually, the CA cars seems to run really lean, almost to the point of lean misfire. So yea, that may be whats happening.

I suspected that after fighting tip stumble on my 3800SC. At .5% throttle they open the small EGR solenoid. I raised it to 5% so you can roll from a start without the miss.

I think I need to back down the EGR a bit more on the Regal.