Spoolup and HP potential - header comparisons anyone?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
I have been of the opinion to not consider aftermarket headers until you had a 9 sec capable car. I have seen folks trap 140 with the stockers.... so why bother?

I had someone (who I respect alot for his knowledge) suggest that the crossover pipe is the weak link with the stock headers.... and that should be replaced first... but it will hurt spoolup some.

I had a buddy put some ebay headers on his bottom 11 sec T years ago and he seemed to always be fighting leaks.... he one day decided to take the headers off and go back to the stockers.... and the spoolup difference on the street was tremendous. He said it was no comparison... the stockers spun the ires with ease... while the headers he had.... took a little longer to get up on boost. I believe thise ebay headers to have been copied off the old ATR design.

I understand the old Hooker headers were notorious for KILLING spoolup. I don't know if they might have been a decent choice for a bottom 9 sec or faster car..... but they were really not a good choice for a 10 sec or slower car.

With that said, at what point is there enough "gain" there to consider headers..... or consider just the crossover?

On a 10 sec car.... how does the spoolup and ET potential compare from some ATR headers against the stockers?

At what power level is the gain in HP outweigh the loss in spoolup?

I compare it to the old school chevy small-block with a 270 cam vs the 292 cam..... yes the 292 cam could make 10 more HP, but it gave up a hundred foot-lbs of torque at 3400 RPM....... right where you need it.

Sometimes bigger is not necessarily better...... so where is that point with headers for our cars?

There isn't chit in the crossover. Having a nice 306 stainless 2.25" mandrel bent stock replacement would be ideal. 2" might even further aid in spoolup and not hurt power but I havent confirmed it. Adding volume and surface area anywhere in the manifolds or crossover over stock will increase spool time. There is nothing on a 550whp car switching to a 2.5" mandrel crossover. Not even 1hp.

There isn't chit in the crossover. Having a nice 306 stainless 2.25" mandrel bent stock replacement would be ideal. 2" might even further aid in spoolup and not hurt power but I havent confirmed it. Adding volume and surface area anywhere in the manifolds or crossover over stock will increase spool time. There is nothing on a 550whp car switching to a 2.5" mandrel crossover. Not even 1hp.

So hooker headers should not be run on a stock long block Bison? I happen to have a 23,000 mile stock long block with mods like Gt 61 turbo,50lb injectors RJC front mount intercooler ect that has run 122 mph and I'm now wondering if I could go faster with stock headers?

The stock headers have been at least 138mph. Hooker headers will make the car laggy on the street.

I have heard the hooker sound the best but perform the worst...

i ran 10's with the stock headers and they had to come off constantly for leaks either from power or age or both.i went with the ta stainless and they haven't come off since,the flanges are much thicker.

i ran 10's with the stock headers and they had to come off constantly for leaks either from power or age or both.i went with the ta stainless and they haven't come off since,the flanges are much thicker.

What stainless headers? And did you notice an in crease in or a loss in power or was it about the same? See I have hooker super comps but I have a few leaks on them and I also read they tend to loose spooling on the street.

What stainless headers? And did you notice an in crease in or a loss in power or was it about the same? See I have hooker super comps but I have a few leaks on them and I also read they tend to loose spooling on the street.

He's talking about TA Performace Headers. You can get them in both mild steel or stainless steel. Super quality product!

I just had a set installed but haven't yet had the chance to test them at the track. So far I see no difference in spool up.

My butt dyno says the car is pulling harder, but time slips will tell.

ta performance headers stainless race version.i didn't back to back track test so no real data.car felt about the same spool wise,the tone changed and initial throttle response seemed better no loss for sure.i really didn't care if the car went the same,just got sick of pulling the stockers off,that alone was worth the price to me.

ta performance headers stainless race version.i didn't back to back track test so no real data.car felt about the same spool wise,the tone changed and initial throttle response seemed better no loss for sure.i really didn't care if the car went the same,just got sick of pulling the stockers off,that alone was worth the price to me.

What about these by GM Body parts???
I'm looking for great spool up and and better hp over the hooker super comps I have now without leaks!

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1000

Stock headers work great as far as power is concerned. When making power, there is alot of heat and pressure that causes cracks. On a high 9 sec car, I saw no gains going from stockers to ATR's, but the ATR's have no cracks after 3 years, and 8 sec power (I bought my ATR's used, they are from 1996) . IMO with a 3 bolt turbo, there is little to nothing to gain power wise in headers.

I don't want to water down my own thread.... cough.... but if you go with ATR headers...... I have been told a THDP won't fit anymore? This blows chunks if that is the case.....