Split exhaust idea with pic

EYE-OPENER

So I have a cat back Magnaflow stainless exhaust behind a TH downpipe with an electric 2 1/2" dump. The dump when opened was blasting the tail housing of my trans and truly sounded like crap when opened. The magnaflows are great with really no drone and don't think I would be as happy with any other system. So I was gonna run a tailpipe off the dump to get it off the trans and further back and thought about a high flow magnum muffler. I found this magnaflow and got to fabricating. I wrapped the piping with header wrap and it turns down 6" before the mufflers. Tough to get pics on the floor...lol. The end result is obviously more flow when opened than just the duals and isn't obnoxious. It actually sounds very throaty and mean and with a flip of a switch back to normal system. I plan to drive it tomorrow and will check back with drivable results.

423ECCDD-3663-4382-A75C-87D5A47008F9-5213-00000BA8E09A55F5_zpsa1bbdd39.jpg

Not sure what you mean. It was facing this way when I got the car, and if spun 180 it would hit the frame/rocker area....

Spin 180 out it would still be obnoxiously loud. As well as i would have no room for the bullet. This way the piping is tucked away.

The whole point of the dump pipe is to open the exhaust, why restrict it with another muffler? You have a nice looking car, why mess with the exhaust, either dump it or run through the mufflers.

Bryan

No point of the wrap....I had a bunch laying around and being that it's right under the floor board I wrapped it. I have seen a few threads where the comparison of open dump or not didn't yield that much difference in ET. The muffler is not packed with material and is the least restrictive while still toning down the noise a bit. I know there are a ton of guys out there that don't want a drone exhaust, and running open dump on the street is obnoxious. Here's an idea that gives a mean sound that won't attract the cops right away, and still could run a factory exhaust if you want....in a few months I may dyno the car and maybe do a three way test to see any true results power wise....with exhaust, thru open dump, and thru dump with this...

Took the car to a cruise in this morning and everybody loved how it sounded. Played on the street a little and it sounds and performs great. A few of the Buick guys loved how it was setup and the difference in sound from the already great flowing exhaust and this.

It's defiantly neat in the fact you tried something new and thought outside the box. It would have never occured to me to put the dump pipe on upside down and I'm pretty creative! :)

I do cringe at the extra weight.

If youve seen the amphitheater in my trunk you'd realize weight isn't a deciding factor....lol...but seriously the pipe and muffler are ridiculously light...I will weigh it off the car in a few days...I assume the previous owner put it on backwards for a reason..maybe to keep the heat off the rocker panel area??

It's not that bad when the dump is installed correctly. It does rumble the PS floorboards a little but turbochargers make pretty good mufflers.

with it pointed at the trans tunnel I could image it sounds like the inside of a Helmholtz resonator set on kill.