3" NO DRONE MUFFLERS

TIMINATOR

Due to crazy busy work and home issues I am just getting around to finishing my engine and I already have a complete new 3" dual exhaust system. Looking for input on 3" low restriction muffs. I don't want loud or drone, ideas?
I use Dynomax Super Turbos on all of my N/A cars, they make great HP and little noise with no drone. I don't think I need or want reverse flow units, and have never used any straight thru units, so, input please?
TIMINATOR

I have the Pypes 3" system on my car with the Race Mufflers. I was afraid they might be too loud but they are just a little louder than the 2 1/2" Hooker Aerochambers that were on before. They are a touch lower in tone at idle. I don't find them too loud at highway speeds. Overall I'm satisfied.

Not sure what my dual 3" system is, bought it from a guy on here and he didn't remember, but it looks like the pipes duals. I didn't get the muffs with them.

I have the 3" SS system Mark @ TR Customs sells. Don't know the muffler brand, but I like 'em.

Due to crazy busy work and home issues I am just getting around to finishing my engine and I already have a complete new 3" dual exhaust system. Looking for input on 3" low restriction muffs. I don't want loud or drone, ideas?
I use Dynomax Super Turbos on all of my N/A cars, they make great HP and little noise with no drone. I don't think I need or want reverse flow units, and have never used any straight thru units, so, input please?
TIMINATOR

Determining which system you have will narrow down your options.

The GN1 3” exhaust is polished SS304 and uses center in/ center out mufflers.
The Borla XR1 race mufflers are reported to sound and perform as well as the original ATR (Applied Technologies and Research) Bitbull mufflers that measure 7”x 4.5”x 13.25” case, 17.5” overall length. The GN1 exhaust is a copy of the ATR exhaust and replacement Pitbull mufflers are available, but not the original power slot design.
A quieter option is the Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet Resonators.
Other center in/ center out mufflers with larger and longer cases may work, but not confirmed.

The Pypes exhaust is natural finish SS409 and uses offset in/ center out mufflers in which case the Pypes Race Pro as mentioned above are a good choice. Magnaflow, Hooker VR304, Dynomax ultra flow welded mufflers are options as well.

OK. My mistake. I need to finish the engine install the exhaust and see if I need side side, side center, or straight thru muffs. Kinda got ahead of myself here! At this point I think I will install the front half, drive it and see how loud and droney (word?) it is, then ask on here and buy something and repeat until I'm happy. Thanks so far! I'll repost when I know something.
TIMINATOR

I didn't mean semi permanently, I meant a 3 or 4 mile drive to see what it sounds like with the front half of the system only on it, just to get an idea where the drone is, and how nasty it sounds to see if straight thru muff would work, or if zi need more quiet. I live out in the country west of Phoenix,AZ. so I can drive around a bit without bothering anyone. The next test would be, install the back half with straight pipe in place of where the muffs go. Then I will have a better idea of what I need. All of this is easy, as I own a performance shop with a lift, wire and heliarc welders, plasma, etc. so it's just my free time, no cost to me. Then, I'll call up my muff wholesaler, and see if they have any 3" returned muffs to try before I buy.
I just posted to see what others like to save a bit of time, and get a direction first.
Since I we also have a complete H.P. engine machine shop, I got a bit more carried away with the engine build also. I started out building a fun high 11 second street/ mountain cruiser and am way past that now.....
If I can do things easily the first time I do, if not then everything turns into a major project! I may end up buying 10 sets of muffs and trying them all, then putting what I don't use in the swap meet pile! I guarantee that every muff I try will go on the flowbench first and the best will be tried on the car in the correct order. I was really trying to prevent that!
I have a performance timer on the car too, so a muff selection project may take weeks!!!
Here we go again!!!!!
TIMINATOR

OK. My mistake. I need to finish the engine install the exhaust and see if I need side side, side center, or straight thru muffs. Kinda got ahead of myself here! At this point I think I will install the front half, drive it and see how loud and droney (word?) it is, then ask on here and buy something and repeat until I'm happy. Thanks so far! I'll repost when I know something.
TIMINATOR

I completely understand about planning ahead as much as possible, especially these days.
I just didn’t want you to get the cart before the horse and buy mufflers that didn’t work with the system you have.

I didn't mean semi permanently, I meant a 3 or 4 mile drive to see what it sounds like with the front half of the system only on it, just to get an idea where the drone is, and how nasty it sounds to see if straight thru muff would work, or if zi need more quiet. I live out in the country west of Phoenix,AZ. so I can drive around a bit without bothering anyone. The next test would be, install the back half with straight pipe in place of where the muffs go. Then I will have a better idea of what I need. All of this is easy, as I own a performance shop with a lift, wire and heliarc welders, plasma, etc. so it's just my free time, no cost to me. Then, I'll call up my muff wholesaler, and see if they have any 3" returned muffs to try before I buy.
I just posted to see what others like to save a bit of time, and get a direction first.
Since I we also have a complete H.P. engine machine shop, I got a bit more carried away with the engine build also. I started out building a fun high 11 second street/ mountain cruiser and am way past that now.....
If I can do things easily the first time I do, if not then everything turns into a major project! I may end up buying 10 sets of muffs and trying them all, then putting what I don't use in the swap meet pile! I guarantee that every muff I try will go on the flowbench first and the best will be tried on the car in the correct order. I was really trying to prevent that!
I have a performance timer on the car too, so a muff selection project may take weeks!!!
Here we go again!!!!!
TIMINATOR

It seems every engine setup and combo sounds a bit different and takes some experimenting. I did the same thing on my ‘94 Cutlass supreme convertible. I wanted something that sounded good, but not too loud with the top down tooling through the park with the fam.
I tried 7 different mufflers with 3 different resonators before I was happy.

I have Lawrence Conley’s old Magtune 3” dual exhaust on my car. It uses a “V” shaped muffler that connects right to the downpipe, single in/ dual out.
I was able to hear it at the ‘90’s GS Nationals and thankfully there’s no drone.

Here’s an old muffler test that includes sound levels. It was performed on a N/A 309cid fox body mustang in ‘05- ‘08 maybe, so there are some new mufflers out there not on the list. 375 rwhp isn’t bad for a 5.0L (.060? over) stang.

The straight through perforated core mufflers make the most power and are the quietest. The mufflers that have the most dense packing seem to have a deeper tone.
A577A0A6-1A5D-4193-AA3A-B7A129715CBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Here we go again!!!!!
TIMINATOR
We should chat I have some interesting data
Muffled exhaust system that made over 1100hp and sounds quiet😉
I'll send you the vid.

I would stay away from Flowmasters. I know several people that had them, changed to a different muffler and significantly improved their ETs.