Speaker question

87gninpa

Im replacing the speakers in my car and i have a question that is probably stupid, but i know nothing about audio systems. What is the difference between 2-way and 3-way speakers? Can either be used in my GN? again, this is probably a very simple question, but just figured id ask

A 2-way speaker has a cone woofer and a dome tweeter. A 3-way speaker has a cone woofer, a midrange, and a dome tweeter. Either speaker will suit the tastes of the average person. Personally, I would go with the three-way speaker just for the added frequency range that the separate mid-range gives you.

2 way - 2 speakers.
3 way - 3 speakers.

In most cases a 2 way is superior to a 3 way. The term "3 way" is more of a sales ploy than anything and typically they utilize more lower quality drivers than 2 good ones.

My preference over the years has always been the 2 way...let YOUR ears be the judge for what you like best..

thanks for the opinions, you make a good point zam70 and thats what ive been told elsewhere as well.

Zam, I have to disagree. I think that the 3-way speakers are better if you are replacing stock speakers. Two ways are nice if you have something else to cover the low bass frequencies, like a subwoofer, otherwise the bass would distort the cone and effect the midrange frequency response (using the two ways). I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I installed at a shop for about 8 years, and I always recommended 3-way for replacement and components for audiophile systems. I guess it's just a matter of preference. But, like you said, let your ears decide.

The acoustics inside these cars and the speaker placements are so terrible, I seriously doubt anybody will be able to hear the difference between a quality two way and a three way once its installed in the car.

He's extremely limited by the odd sizes in these cars anyway. There are not very many 3.5" and 4x10" models out there.

87gninpa: zam has it right. Go to the store with some of your favorite CDs, and pick the speakers that sound the best to you.

WOW - you installed and still prefer 3 way to 2 way?

To clarify - I am refering to a "triax/coax" speaker, not components.
In a component situation, YES a 3 way could be the better choice (if you have the room and proper x-over).
In a "coax/Triax" situation (which is what I think he was talking about) I strongly disagree and can't think of even one high end "triax/3 way" speaker.

Maybe we need some clarification -

87gninpa:
Were you looking at a component/seperate speaker system or all speakers mounted into one speaker chassis (coax/triax)?

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY
The acoustics inside these cars and the speaker placements are so terrible, I seriously doubt anybody will be able to hear the difference between a quality two way and a three way once its installed in the car.

He's extremely limited by the odd sizes in these cars anyway. There are not very many 3.5" and 4x10" models out there.

87gninpa: zam has it right. Go to the store with some of your favorite CDs, and pick the speakers that sound the best to you.

Your options open up when you use wave guides ;)
but that's a WHOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLe 'nother discussion.

Im just looking to replace the stock 1987 speakers. i dont listen to my music loud anyway, and i certainly wont have a system in my car, i just want to know what will sound good in the car. btw, i have a delco cd player from a 1999 blazer isntalled, not the stock casette player

Go 2 way then.
Problem you're going to run into is selection. Not alot of choices in a 3 1/2 & 4X10.

I have had numerous different speakers in my cars (all G-bodies) and I must say, for the FRONT speakers, the 3.5" Infinity Kappa is about THE BEST speaker for the money, AND you can install in the factory location. I don't think the Regal has anymore clearance than my Cutlass, so you might have to do what I did, and install them from the bottom, and NOT drop them in from the top. The Coaxial tweeter sits too tall for the cover to go on top.

These speakers retail for about $100/pair, but with some shopping around, you can pick them up for $60 or so.

Ryan

Originally posted by Spdrcer34
I have had numerous different speakers in my cars (all G-bodies) and I must say, for the FRONT speakers, the 3.5" Infinity Kappa is about THE BEST speaker for the money, AND you can install in the factory location. I don't think the Regal has anymore clearance than my Cutlass, so you might have to do what I did, and install them from the bottom, and NOT drop them in from the top. The Coaxial tweeter sits too tall for the cover to go on top.

These speakers retail for about $100/pair, but with some shopping around, you can pick them up for $60 or so.

Ryan

i got a set of references off ebay for $20 while i find time to install my jl audio component set..

now.. how did you manage to put them in from the bottom? i went outside, looked at the stuff, didnt see much room for twisting it around...

did you just kind of slide it in crooked or what?

I actually had to un-bolt the dash partially to get enough room to get the speaker, and my arm up there.

I have swapped many dashes in these G-bodies, so I can get a dash in and out of there fairly quickly.

Ryan

Originally posted by Spdrcer34
I actually had to un-bolt the dash partially to get enough room to get the speaker, and my arm up there.

I have swapped many dashes in these G-bodies, so I can get a dash in and out of there fairly quickly.

Ryan

:( that sucks.

i did a dash swap on a 91 chevy fullsize.

i am never messing with a dash again.. much less mine.

2-way,3-way

2-ways are far superior to 3-ways and I am going to tell you why so there will be no debate.If you have 100 watts going to that 2-way,50 watts goes to the tweeter and 50 watts goes to the woofer.On a 3-way,you guessed it,33.3 watts goes to the tweet,33.3 to the mid and lastly and leastly, 33.3 watts go to the woofer.Do you 3-way lovers want to lose that power to the woofer for that so called mid-range?Now, which one would you want?More power=more clairity.

WOW - intercooled84GN. That couldn't be any further from the truth.

When speakers are wired together, power is the same to each speaker. The amp/deck doesn't know if it's wired to 1 speaker or a 1000 so it simply reacts to the impedence load it is playing into.
There is no way to divide power like you are stating (with the exception of series wiring but, that's a whole different ballgame).

If there is a woofer, mid, and tweeter of the same impedence wired together, to a 50 watt amp, each speaker will get 50 watts.

I agree that 2 ways are (usually) superior, but it has nothing to do with how they effect power output.

you need to check your facts

Where did you get this from?You are telling me that two speakers sharing the same power source are magically getting twice the power because two are hooked up?If you are referring to 4ohm load or 2 ohm load by wiring parallel,yeah the power is doubled,but at incredable distortion rate.For each speaker you hook up to the same output wire,the amp or radio wattage or power is getting doubled for every speaker hooked up.That is not good as you would seem to think.Example;If you have 2 4ohm speakers and hook them both to the same amp output speaker wire you then have a 2ohm load.Anything under 3 ohms is too hard to be running your amp.How hot your amp gets is determined by the ohm load.The higher the ohm load,the cooler the amp runs.The lower the amp ohm load,the hotter it runs.Dude,stop trippin!

front speaker install

The easiest way to get the front speakers in is to use a skew driver.It is a bit holding type screwdriver but is a 90 degree.The speaker wire is best run with a old spare anteanna or old coat hanger.Just tape the speaker wire to the end and feed it right through.