Simple speaker upgrade

shocker998md

I haven't dug into my factory speakers on my 87 gn but I know that plenty of yall have.

I'm thinking of running a Bluetooth amp to power new speakers in the factory locations, I'll leave the factory headunit but not use it, just stream off my phone.

What is a simple bolt in speaker solution that won't require a ton of tweaking to fit?

I haven't dug into my factory speakers on my 87 gn but I know that plenty of yall have.

I'm thinking of running a Bluetooth amp to power new speakers in the factory locations, I'll leave the factory headunit but not use it, just stream off my phone.

What is a simple bolt in speaker solution that won't require a ton of tweaking to fit?
Have you completed your speaker upgrade? If so I'd really like to get your input. I'm also building out my system in my 87 GN so I'm doing my research as well. Going with an old Alpine 7618 deck, 3331 EQ, 2 - 8" subs in the trunk deck. I'm trying to find quality options for the interior speakers to round everything out.

Haven't touched it yet, I'm still undecided.
I hear you, I'm undecided on my interior speakers. For the deck, I'm going with the old Alpine 7618 with the aftermarket Bluetooth module and an Alpine 3331 EQ. Two Alpine 8" subs on the trunk deck.
If you want to keep everything fairly stock, the Bluetooth amp option is a good idea, just need a quality amp. I replaced the stock rear 4X10’s with Pioneer TS-A4105 4X10’s and I have to say, they're not terrible by any means. I'm not a fan of 4X10’s but they made such a difference, especially running of the factory deck. You might find it difficult to find replacements for the 3.5 dash and 5.25 door speakers being they're 10 ohm. Just some info I've found in my research.

I was thinking just the rear deck 4x10s were 10 ohm, the dash speakers are 8 ohm and the door speakers are 4 ohm.
I replaced the dash speakers with some radio shack soft dome tweeters (8 ohm) back in the early ’90’s.
When I went to an aftermarket CD deck a few years later I was going to replace the door speaker with some 4 ohm speakers and was surprised that they were already 4 ohm from the factory. I didn’t change them, wish I would have.
I’m the original owner so I was the first one in there. I left the 8 ohm soft dome tweeters in the dash so they weren’t overpowering.
I ran the dash and door speakers off the deck and the rear deck 4x10s off a 20 W rms x2 amp and the 12” subs off a 100 W rms x2. Well balanced and plenty loud for me.

My 20 year old system.

I have infinity kappa components up front with mid range woofer 5.25" (I believe) in the door panel stock location, then I put the tweeters up underthe dash were the stock 3.5" speakers were. For the rear i got 4x10 to 6x9 adaptors with kappa 3 way 6x9s. Running a kicker impulse 50x4 rms amp. With a first gen kenwood excelon head unit that rotates the face 180 degree to show a flat black face when the car is turned off. Late 90z version of anti theft lol.

Just throwing it out there to remind others of the 4x10 to 6x9 adapters, and that components with the woofers in the door n tweeters in the dash sound great.

Last edited: