So... Why can't they dyno/tune my car?

KingLouis

The 13th
My shop took it to the tuner and they said they can't tune my car.
Are they just incapable of using hand tools?
Is the PowerLogger not plug and play?
Can I download something to make it work?
or
Do I just need to find someone locally who can tune it to the 80's?

Here is a copy and pasted complete mod list. Thanks.

1987 Buick Grand National
2 Gauge Pod A pillar
206/206 Roller Cam Kit
Scanmaster 2.1
Scantool/ Power logger
High Output Coil Pack
Knock Gauge
42.5# Injectors
Poly Motor Mounts
HD Rocker Shaft
HD Rocker Arms
ARP Head Stud Kit w/ 12 Point Nuts
Hi Volume Oil Pump Upgrade Kit
TA49 Turbo
Headers
Hi-Volume fuel pump w/ firewire
Cold air intake
2800-3000 Stall Billet ProTorque Converter (non lock-up)
TransGo Performance 7-CCV kit
manual boost controller
fully freshened/rebuilt shortblock
TurboTweak Classic Chip v5.7 - Buick/TTA
3" Polished Aluminum Mass Air Pipe
3" Aluminum Up Pipe
3" Aluminized Single Shot Exhaust
3" Down Pipe
Test Pipe
Turbo Cover
Leak-Proof Copper Header To Turbo Gasket
Leak-Proof Copper Headers To Head Gasket

They may only tune with aftermarket ECM's such as FAST or Big Stuff 3. It takes a specific shop to deal with a tuneable chip.

With the PL, why don't either you and/or "your shop" do the tuning??? Seems that they/you could do some logging, and see what, if any, changes need to be made.;)

You can't tune a chip..re-program yes,but thats not tunning on the spot,If you get a Translator Plus (Horse Power in a box) there's some tunablity ,But best bet's to get Aftermarket ECM,Then you can tune Everything for your combination more precisely.
No matter how you modify a stock ECM, there's codes that are unchangeable (Why many stock ECM car's fall on there face over 100mph)
Enjoy!

You can't tune a chip..re-program yes,but thats not tunning on the spot,If you get a Translator Plus (Horse Power in a box) there's some tunablity ,But best bet's to get Aftermarket ECM,Then you can tune Everything for your combination more precisely.
No matter how you modify a stock ECM, there's codes that are unchangeable (Why many stock ECM car's fall on there face over 100mph)
Enjoy!

Per turbotweaks website
Custom computer chip v5.7 made for your Turbo Buick or Pontiac TTA. This chip has user adjustable features that allow you to do fine tuning of WOT fuel and timing if you wish (need a scantool). Choose either a street chip (pump gas), race chip (race gas), or a chip for alcohol injection. Note the '84/'85 cars with stock ECM do not have the same features.

If you're in the CT area I'll be tuning at least 2 cars this weekend. Lmk if you're interested. Adjustable chips or aftermarket ecu no problem

Enjoy!

People are making over 700rwhp on a stock ecm these days. Look it up but that's far from "fall on there face over 100mph" territory. Where do you get this stuff?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Located in Texas tho. I'm researching all the points made. Thanks again.

People are making over 700rwhp on a stock ecm these days. Look it up but that's far from "fall on there face over 100mph" territory. Where do you get this stuff?

Been there done it,Your car's about there accordding to your Sig. (Add bigger turbo an Inj.) Me an Bison went over this in past thread, Funny he's on XFI too after all the Stock ECM talk. Stock ECM's don't do Hard Charging Top End Runs in 700+ RWHP cars. You can try to "get it too" all you like but your peeing in the wind.....

Good luck!

Stock ECM's don't do Hard Charging Top End Runs in 700+ RWHP cars. You can try to "get it too" all you like but your peeing in the wind.....

Good luck!

ok if you say so !! :p
001.JPG

HelloBozos said:
Been there done it,Your car's about there accordding to your Sig. (Add bigger turbo an Inj.) Me an Bison went over this in past thread, Funny he's on XFI too after all the Stock ECM talk. Stock ECM's don't do Hard Charging Top End Runs in 700+ RWHP cars. You can try to "get it too" all you like but your peeing in the wind.....

Good luck!

Funny most of the cars I tune are on non correcting chips with stock ECM's.
My cars spent most of their time on the stock ecm. I have xfi because make things much easier and faster for me to dial in and I can easily afford it. Not because i have doubts about what kind of fueling i need when tuning with a stock ECM. Xfi and other aftermarket ecms have their place but most don't need them.

Good luck!

I'm keeping my 60's and the stock ecm for my next build and if I don't make at least 600rwhp, it'll be a dissapointment. It won't be a record breaker, but I'm not anticipating any issues.

EDIT: Probably closer to 550rwhp. What does it take to go 130mph? 135? I think it takes almost 900 to go over 150mph in a full weight car.

Will do!,I fire the new combo next week,(fingers crossed), won't even do a burn out aginst you...lol

I should get my trans back from the shop by Fri and installed over the weekend. We can run with just street tires (I'm on 17's) to make it interesting.

I should get my trans back from the shop by Fri and installed over the weekend. We can run with just street tires (I'm on 17's) to make it interesting.

I'll be on my 18"s,street tires Full Exhuast,93,an Alky, with traction control. :::smooch::::