So, Who DID Actually Pick Up WIth a GTQ?

Originally posted by azgn
just a little FYI for all the GTQ non-believers

today at the track, Nick's car (minus the 70GTQ) but with a 70BB ran 10.20. 10.16, etc....no change in boost or the FAST...60' times were comparable to the 9 sec GTQ runs.....

I rest my case

Thanks for the information Woody.
I would be interested in MPH before and after.
The MPH is more a more accurate measure of HP than ET.
Also were the weather conditions comparable?

For the record I believe that the newer Garret Stuff does make much more power. On our 394inch SBC Duttweiler had us go from Turbonectics BB 76 Q Trims to Precision/Garrett GT-42 74MM.
Going to the smaller turbos has already made a little over 2100HP. Our Turbonetics 76MM Q Trims run out of steam at around 1750HP. These are Dyno numbers from Duttweiler.
I am not sure about the newer Turbonetics Stuff, but I will tell you that Duttweiler recommended Precision/Garrett Turbos for the evil v8 Buick.

Originally posted by Buicksx2
Anybody ever do a comparison of a 76 Q trim versus the 76 GTQ or 76 GTS?

If so would love to hear the results.

Thanks
Well Buicksx2, When the weather breaks i will test the difference between a GTQ76 and A GTS76 at teh same boost level,But i already found i need to add fuel tot he tune to make it safe.

John, I dunno if I remember the mph exactly, but going back to the 70BB slowed things around 3-4mph.....Maybe Nick can tell us for sure (like 136 to 132......I think)

DA and weather was comparable

John, I dunno if I remember the mph exactly, but going back to the 70BB slowed things around 3-4mph.....Maybe Nick can tell us for sure (like 136 to 132......I think)

Thanks, that seems to make sense.:D

Originally posted by Ted A.
No, it means that it is not working right with your combination. I think I remember you do not have high flowing parts on your combo. Maybe can't take advantage of the wheels??

I probably take a certain CFM to get into the sweet spot.

race ported gn1's , ported bgc intake, cotton front mount, pte roller cam......i would think it flows enough?

LOT less HP for BB70 vs. GTQ70!

How about 140 mph with the GTQ70, down to 133 mph with the BB70 both at 26 psi almost same DA and temp!

The 1/8th mile speed went from 112.5 mph down to 107 mph.:)

If Nick is 3500lbs then:

70GTQ 750 FWHP
70BB 690FWHP

That is an easy 60FWHP

BTW: Nick turn the FR up to 35PSI!!!

Bringing this one back up for TopsalesGun, Woody, and Brick.

GTQ vs. BB in TSM hmmmmmmmmm..... :p

And of course for my friend GNScott who was banned from this forum. :rolleyes:

Must be the double ball bearings in the Innovative right? :D

Oh yeah it was the tune and the motor not the turbo. ;)

Then again that argument didn't fare to well against the GTQ guys. :eek:

TTT :cool:

I think what he is trying to say is the winner was using an Innovative BB at the Nat's in TSM and hence.... outrun the GTQ folks. Am I right? :confused:

Partially correct....

You are correct Jesse, Dave did run an Innovative dual BB turbo in BG but, it WAS a GT70, unlike my Innovative dual BB70 which is not a GT. :)

So it probably was a GT-70 compressor wheel but with the Innovative exhaust wheel which wouldn't be a GTQ as we know it. Maybe still a Q wheel on the exhaust though?

That may be the best of both worlds if you can't get the GTQ exhaust wheel to go with the GT compressor. All of that and a dual BB would be a pretty nice turbo!

He did lap the field by a considerable amount though didn't he? Maybe it is more the motor combination he is running than the turbo.

Originally posted by Intercooler
Didn't he go 9.50's in BG? What did he run in Norwalk :eek:

9.41 (I THINK) and I believe he has been 9.30's with the GTQ. I wasnt there in BG when this was goin on but as I understand it some guys had a problem with the turbo and he didnt want to tear it town, I am not stating this as fact, this is what I have heard. On a side note IF it was illegal ( and I'm not saying it was!!) and he was able to run it and he won the class and .....GOOD FOR HIM!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure he can clear all that up, regardless, he ran away with the class and got a well deserved win no matter what turbo he has!

Bill is correct I went 9.30's and 40's with the pt 70 gtq. The Innovative turbo has a 71 billet Borg Warner compressor wheel same as the PT 71 gtq. The turbine wheel is a Innovative X trim which is larger and more efficient than the GTQ. We ran the boost very low at BG since we had the field covered by a few tenths. We are expecting 9 teens once we have it turned up.

Originally posted by top gun
Bill is correct I went 9.30's and 40's with the pt 70 gtq. The Innovative turbo has a 71 billet Borg Warner compressor wheel same as the PT 71 gtq. The turbine wheel is a Innovative X trim which is larger and more efficient than the GTQ. We ran the boost very low at BG since we had the field covered by a few tenths. We are expecting 9 teens once we have it turned up.

And there you go!:D Better slow it down Dave or you'll be in the "peer tech hot seat" It aint fun!

just curious here......

How are you guys making these 70 turbos spool....I had a 70 from a now defunct vendor that wouldn't spool for s%$t. I talked to John Craig about the 70gtq and he said I would never be able to spool it in my 231 ci motor.....he talked me into a 70 gt with a prec. 63 exhaust housing. It was still a little hard to spool so Steve Y pulled some timing out down low (about 6 or 8 degrees at 2000 rpms and threw it back in at about 3500 rpms) in the ME-R and that brought the lag down quite a bit. I know the convertor has alot to do with it and I'm not to damn sure about my PI N/LU "0" pump...I've heard that they start to crap out at about 500 hp....any suggestions...

Originally posted by top gun

SNAP!!!:D