So, Who DID Actually Pick Up WIth a GTQ?

turbonatr

More Cubes!
It's been almost a year since the 72BB vs. 70GTQ thread. IIRC, there were a few guys who were going to compare their 70BBs to their new 70GTQ turbos. I am in the process of picking a turbo to replace my old T70 Q-trim for my stock block GN and was wondering who picked up power and who didn't.

I don't run TSM so I don't have to worry about turbo size, etc. This is basically a race car so spooling manners on the street is basically a non-issue. Just trying to decide if the GTQ is the better choice over a 72BB for my application and am really interested if the GTQ is really worth the alleged 100-200hp over a standard Q-trim turbo.

well, I can name two 10 sec cars that turned into 9 sec cars by changing from 70BB to 70 GTQ........

both here in AZ.......

The fastest stock block car (Roy Garcia) runs a John Craig GTQ turbo... 9.35 @144+mph in the 1/4 and on an aborted pass where he let out before the 1/8th the car went 5.96 in the 1/8th at 3480lbs (this was with a 72GTQ) and they've also run 9.44 @144.95mph with the TSM legal 70GTQ... I think those #'s at the track speak for themselves and I seriously doubt there is another stock block car even close to those #'s with a 72BB... The proof is in the pudding!

I am kinda in the same boat as you are. I just moved from a TE45A .63 stock location intercooler to a 70GTQ .85. front mount. I think I am going to have to do something about my transmission, they say it has to be solid billet before 200R trans can handle it. I will post my result when Mike Litch decideds to send me my hose and actuator. I have been waiting for a month already.

With stock or mild ported iron heads you will pick up nothing with a gtq compared to a p trim on the same combination, only thing the gtq will spool slower. If the heads are heaviliy worked or Gn-1 s or large cubic inch, then go with a gtq

Originally posted by smokinttype
I will post my result when Mike Litch decideds to send me my hose and actuator. I have been waiting for a month already.

Hmm,Maybe its just the way the mail works in Bham:confused:

Seems everyone else cant say enough about how good Mike L's shipping is except for 2 from the same city.Maybe we should both have a talk with the local UPS office???

Spool is always a concern, just as much at the track as on the street. Remember, the more rpm's it takes to get you to boost, the longer it takes, and the more heat your motor and tranny will produce. The less stall you run, the cooler the engine.

As for Dynoing both turbos, it is pretty useless to see what a turbo can do on a dyno if you do not use the same ex. housing. Just about every car out there will go faster just by putting a bigger ex. housing on, but you will suffer more lag, and as for people running whatever with a said turbo, I'd bet they would be in the same place with either turbo. Oh and turning a 10 sec car into a 9 sec. car implies it picked up a full second by switching both turbos only. Take the advice you get here with a shaker full of salt.

it implies nothing of the sort...10.0 to 9.85 and 10.1 to 9.86 (same basic tune & boost....)

you have any factual info or experience to contribute??

guess there must be a reason that the fastest cars in TSM run GTQ's?

last time I checked, 10.0 is a 10 sec car......apparently eveybody understood but you?

How about "I know 2 cars that picked up 2- 10ths and they used the same exhaust housing , with the same exact tune and spooled just as well" Then I may be impressed. I think the goal should be to find out if the GTQ compressor side of the turbo is what people are claiming it to be...don't you?

I think that has been established

the problem is, folks are gonna try and use 'em with the wrong combo and be disapppointed

they aren't gonna help anything but the fastest cars

(and I NEVER said they spool as well....because they definitely do not!)

I don't think it has been established. Here is the way I look at it. With a BB turbo, you know what you are getting. Nothing magic, its a 70 that has good spooling characteristics. Not faster than an ordinary 70. Now you have the GTQ, which is claiming to be faster...well not just faster, alot faster..very noticably faster. You are paying for the GTQ, the GTQ is the compressor side. The only way you can compare the 2 is by using the same ex. housing so you can rule out the ex. housing.

I think that anyone not pushing the envelope will see no gain at all over the other.

I think the guy is looking for proof. To me proof is a controlled experiment. i suppose all the fastest cars in TSM are the fastest just because of their turbos. Kinda diminishes their accomplishments.

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
I think the guy is looking for proof. To me proof is a controlled experiment. i suppose all the fastest cars in TSM are the fastest just because of their turbos. Kinda diminishes their accomplishments.

What more proof do you need??:confused:

Show me a 3400-3500lb stock block car running as fast as the fastest TSM cars with a Turbonetics or Innovative BB or DBB 70 or 72mm turbo........ Otherwise your arguement holds no water IMO... As far as the BB turbos spooling better than the GTQs this is not entirely true because with a properly matched converter the GTQ will spool just as well... The guy also said that he's not concerned with spool because the car is not really going to be a street car therefore if he has to run a little bit looser converter with the GTQ it's not a big deal to him...

Bottom line is "if" the BB turbos could make as much power as the GTQ and did spool better than why are none of the fastest TSM cars using them? Guess that is the $100,000 question....

the TSM thing is absolutely the best test because all the cars are alike.....what other kind of "test" do you want?

BTW, we took the GTQ off Nick's car this weekend (and put the 70BB back on) and I guarantee without any other changes, it'll be running 10.0's again.......

I found the GTQ didn't work so hot on my car (mid 10 sec) so I put a GT70 (P trim) on and it runs better than ever...as stated, 70GTQ's aren't for everyone