smoke out of exhaust.

koch186

I just had the motor rebuilt. And turbo. Turbo was done by precision. Had cometic head gaskets put on smoke is coming out of the exhaust. I have pulled the down pipe to determine if oil seal blew. Heads and block were machinesD any chance the gaskets didn't take. Coolant levels are good

I just had the motor rebuilt. And turbo. Turbo was done by precision. Had cometic head gaskets put on smoke is coming out of the exhaust. I have pulled the down pipe to determine if oil seal blew. Heads and block were machinesD any chance the gaskets didn't take. Coolant levels are good
I have not pulled the down pipe yet.

What color is the smoke? I thought I had a problem with mine after engine overhaul but it ended up just being condensation from sitting in the body shop for 6 months. White heavy smoke with water dripping from the exhaust

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Pull the downpipe and see if its leaking. Check the outside hot side exhaust housing to see if its wet. Does it start smoking immediately at idle? Its probably your valves that are leaking oil into combustion chambers. What exactly do you mean by your engine was rebuilt? Just getting cometics put on is not being rebuilt.

I had the whole thing done crank cut and so on. It does it when it warms up white grey smoke. The turbo just had new seals put in by precision it doesn't miss at all. Coolant isn't dropping I still have the break on oil in it with about 10 miles on the motor since rebuild . I'll pull the down pipe when I get off work tonight. Can I rule out the head gaskets not sealing ?

What color is the smoke? I thought I had a problem with mine after engine overhaul but it ended up just being condensation from sitting in the body shop for 6 months. White heavy smoke with water dripping from the exhaust

How long did it last before cleared

Color of the smoke if the oil was burning would be different depending on if you are running dino oil or synthetic. Synthetic wont burn blue. The gasket usually never causes smoke. Either your valves were not done right or your turbo took a shit.

Sometimes even if there is no oil in the downpipe does not mean your turbo is ok. You need to check the thrust on your turbo. If there's more than .0015" then it's too much. When my turbo started to smoke it was completely dry on both the hot and cold side. Oil was dripping inside the turbo and was very hard to see. It never made it past the turbine.

Has anyone one had problems with there intake not sealing and getting water in the cylinders

I have read on here more then once about people having trouble with the cosmetic head gasket sealing or the exhaust valves were done incorrectly and oil is draining down the valve guide.as far as the turbo goes if you just had it rebuilt that would be my least suspect the turbo doesn't really have seals in it they have a metal ring kind of looks like a small piston ring that runs on the main shaft and helps contain oil in the center section away from the exhaust wheel I would think precision would be competent enough to rebuild there own turbo but who knows

Its not oil being burnt out of exhaust. Did a leak down test. And water is the problem. Its getting in there some way. My builder says there is no way it's the head gasket. I did have problems with the rubber on the front and back of intake used a lot of silicon. At first the intake didn't want to line up. So I'm hoping its going from water journal to intake journal. And not the gaskets. My builder talked to just about every company that I bought parts from just to here what they had to say before he assembled the internals. I'm praying its not the heads

pull the plugs and look at them if its blowing smoke and its water it has to be going into the cylinders to be burned and showing up in the exhaust if the intake was not sealed up I would think you would have a massive vacuum leak and a very ruff idle of fluctuating boost/vac gauge I have never experienced water from the intake getting into the cylinders pressurize your radiator and check do a search on hereabout cosmetic head gaskets leaking I like them ,but would not use them without a new machined surface did the builder use a sealant on the head bolts that screw into the water jackets are you using straight water or antifreeze if water was leaking into the intake I would think it has to be getting into the oil. Depending on if the heads were machined and how much was taken off sometime the intake also needs to be machined to fit properly

The heads were machined but not much taken off just cleaned. It idle a little ruff but not noticing a vacum leak. Water is in it since I have 10 miles on it since the rebuild. As far as the head bolts that go into the water jacket Im sure he used a lock tight. My Gn guy is looking at the intake tomorrow. Have you know anyone to not use the rubber on the front and back of the intake due to it not sitting on the valley pan all the way. And just using silicon instead.

I have done it both ways with the rubbers and silicone with no problems if it wasn't fitting correctly that would be a good place to look into why it's not fitting right! maybe try another valley pan there's a problem somewhere if it don't fit correctly do you re torque cosmetic after a heat cycle ?

The heads were machined but not much taken off just cleaned. It idle a little ruff but not noticing a vacum leak. Water is in it since I have 10 miles on it since the rebuild. As far as the head bolts that go into the water jacket Im sure he used a lock tight. My Gn guy is looking at the intake tomorrow. Have you know anyone to not use the rubber on the front and back of the intake due to it not sitting on the valley pan all the way. And just using silicon instead.

PLEASE say it aint so!! Locktite on head bolts!! :eek:
I hope you're mistaken.

PLEASE say it aint so!! Locktite on head bolts!! :eek:
I hope you're mistaken.
Mistaken . sorry alot going through my head right now. Not sure if used a sealer on a head bolt that goes into a water journal. If he didn't would that cause water into cylinders

Mistaken . sorry alot going through my head right now. Not sure if used a sealer on a head bolt that goes into a water journal. If he didn't would that cause water into cylinders

YUP!!

My old GN used to do that after the fresh motor but it stopped after a few hundred miles. Could also be your pcv valve sucking up oil from the lifter valley.

You can run the GM Seal Tabs in the radiator.. that might just fix it.
For Cometics both surfaces need to be 100 percent flat. On studs you use teflon paste on threads going into block