SMC with razor pump

grandnat86

Does anybody know if you can run razors pump with the newer SMC progressive kit. That little pump just ain't cutting it at anymore and the psi is only 80 with the test switch.

Does anybody know if you can run razors pump with the newer SMC progressive kit. That little pump just ain't cutting it at anymore and the psi is only 80 with the test switch.

There are some fitment issues. The pump can not go back there by the drier, you'll need longer hoses once the pump is relocated, you'll need to extend the wiring, and the biggest one I dont know how to answer is current capability.

The Flojet pump at maximum only draws like 3-4 amps. The pump I use can go over 13-15 amps. The increase 5x the current I have no way to tell if it will be of detriment to the SMC piece. As driver/heatsink/etc are part of the internal package. This is why my controller is larger in size due to heatsink requirements. Think of a 60a alternator vs a 240a alternator. The 240 is larger case and larger heatsink becuase it expects a higher load placed on a vehicle.

I have sold some pumps to owners that use the SMC controller on Mitsubishi's.. but no feedback to yes or no, or how long. Guess is depends how hard they are running the pump. Can draw 13-15amps means it can pull this amount, not that is runs 13-15 constantly. When my pump activates its at 4 amps and ramps up from there.

Hope this helps.

was the pump pressure when hitting the test button higher when new? And when we hit the test button is that max psi?

I've seen it over 100psi with th SMC pump, by just pressing the test button.

Not in GrandNat86's case. i saw the 80psi. Ive still have an old non progressive SMC kit on my blue car and it hits 120+psi @14v with a 15gph nozzle. Plenty for mid 10 sec power on 93. Soon i will be switching to a PAC.

I ended up getting Razors kit. I installed it a few days ago and I havent seen any knock yet. Gotta turn the boost up so I can run a consistent 22-23 psi. Thanks for the advice at the track a few weeks ago Bison and Otto.

I ended up getting Razors kit. I installed it a few days ago and I havent seen any knock yet. Gotta turn the boost up so I can run a consistent 22-23 psi. Thanks for the advice at the track a few weeks ago Bison and Otto.

were you seeing knock prior to installing razors kit?