Back after 15 years

Ledzeppac2

old school tb.com member
Ok fellas. Sold my 87 in 2008 and finally back. Met an owner at Buick at Bates in 2021 and called every 3 months.

1987 GN
55,000 miles
10,000 on the engine (Lou built)
20,000 on the transmission
Pt5557
42 lbs Injectors
Turbotweak chip
3” DP
SMC 2.0 alcohol
The other typical stuff including some suspension, etc.

I need to relearn everything but two quick questions.

It has the original PowerMaster, if it goes out do I lose all brakes or just power brakes? I can’t remember. I converted my old one to vacuum. I just need to know if I baby it can I stop or am I rear ending the car in front of me?

SMC 2.0. I know AlkyControl won this battle 10 yrs ago but any reason not to just run the SMC unit? The controller is installed but it just got smogged so the pump and related engine parts are in a box. It’s a newer RJC pump so not worried about a pump failure. Just curious if there is any reason not to run the controls. Not worried about maxing the power out it’s going to be a weekend street car.

Thanks guys
Phil
748B0E4A-1D77-4240-AB61-2D47458A1676.jpeg

I just need to know if I baby it can I stop or am I rear ending the car in front of me?
Welcome back!
The pedal will get hard and may/may not generate enough pressure to stop. NO point in taking the chance.
"but any reason not to just run the SMC unit"?
I worked with Steve on his first system. I'm not sure just when he stopped the development, but Julio in my opinion, is the goto guy for the up-to-date system.
AIRC, there's a partial Alky Control kit for sale, here. Maybe snag it and update?

If your not worried about stock looking i would do the switch to vacuum brakes , just a low percentage of failure, your always going to have the PM in the back of your mind and it fails with pretty much little to no warning...
As for the alky i would also do the switch to Julio's kit, its just technically superior and the support is second to none.
And welcome back

When my PM died, I still had some brakes. Felt like a wooden pedal. Wouldn't want to be faster than about 45-55mph when it goes.

I went vacuum Monte Carlo booster/master. Works fine for normal driving.

Some people never learn... myself included. ;)

Congrats on the purchase!! It looks like a nice car.

Neal

I know I'm in for some punishment but luckily it wont be a daily driver like the last one.

SMC 2.0: Just upgrade to AlkyControl - check.
Powermaster: earlbrown (ebay) conversion - check

Just for fun last night I turned the boost up to 24# for a couple blasts but now the engine smells bad so I turned it back down until I order a scanmaster.

Kidding. Someone tell me how to get on Mike and Ralph's invite lists.

Thanks
Phil

Welcome back. Did you buy Larry's car? I love my Powermaster. But then, I've also known to jump out of airplanes, so keep that in mind.
I suspect that Ralph will do at least one more pizza cruise before the end of the year. Maybe more. I have my Spoolfool's open house, TB swap meet and taco party in October. Sometimes a few of us meet Saturday morning at the Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach.

Mike Barnard

Welcome back. Did you buy Larry's car? I love my Powermaster. But then, I've also known to jump out of airplanes, so keep that in mind.
I suspect that Ralph will do at least one more pizza cruise before the end of the year. Maybe more. I have my Spoolfool's open house, TB swap meet and taco party in October. Sometimes a few of us meet Saturday morning at the Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach.

Mike Barnard

Bingo, it's Larry's GN.

Murphy's Law, the day after my post the idiot brake light flashed and the pedal got hard. A few other small things popped up and instead of putzing all summer I sent it in to Lou so he can start me out fresh.

Let me know the next Donuts day and I'll try to make it.

Phil
714-675-2591